“Average experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Average experience”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Galleria Park is an average hotel for San Francisco. Rooms are very small (especially those with a king size bed). Ours had a sink outside of the bathroom/toilet shower area. Room looked a little run down, and I got some sort of bite (spider maybe?) during our first night in the hotel. Upon arrival, the valet was nowhere to be found, but the car was eventually parked. Room was also loud (at night you can easily hear traffic). We ended up leaving 2 days early and moving to a more expensive hotel, as when I am on vacation, I'd rather spend a little more for higher quality service. However, for the rate/value, this property is average/as expected.

Room Tip: Request a room with a full size bathroom (the sink should be within the same room as the toilet/show...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
san francisco
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The hotel was overall alright. It is a 100 year old building but nicely kept. It is located in the heart of downtown SF but the windows are not double pane so it is kind of noisy. When I checked-in in the middle of the night, Jesse was very helpful and friendly.

I had a good impression of the hotel until I checked out and I had to get my car from the Stockton/Sutter garage to pick up my luggage (Sept 25th, 2012 at 10:35am). As I walked out of the lobby to get my car, my partner already told the valet guy that I would be back to pick him up along with the luggage (just a few bags) in 10 mins.

When I pulled in front of the hotel (white zone) and stepped out of my car, I instantly told the valet guy that I was there for only 60 seconds to pick up my luggage. Obviously he got a problem with that (may be he wasn't getting a tip?) and start questioning me why I parked there (hello??). I explained to him for the second time he just kept harassing me and wouldn't shut up.

I just go ahead and walked into the lobby and picked up my bags and walked right out. He kept harassing me EVEN I got my bags and start loading my bags into the car and told me I was over reacting (again, hello??) and he was just trying to help. I told him that he could use a smile instead of being rude about it (he still would not shut up at this point and kept at it). My partner was very surprise that a valet guy could be so rude and told me that I should speak with manager. I just called and spoke to a supervisor and she was very apologetic about this incident and told me she would relate the message to the management. Would I stay there again? probably not.... It is amazing that how one rude guy could do to ruin a nice experience and the reputation of a nice hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sfscubaman
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear sfscubaman,
Thank you so much for the feedback you have provided about your experience at Galleria Park Hotel. I was thrilled to read that you had a great welcome experience with Jesse and that you enjoyed the hotel overall. However, I was disheartened to hear that you had such a distasteful experience upon leaving the hotel. I have researched the situation and am very sorry for how our valet treated you upon your departure. This type of attitude is not acceptable in our industry and is not allowed at our hotel. I have spoken with the valet about the situation and he is terribly sorry for how he acted.
We would love to have you stay and experience Galleria Park again as this one incident does not reflect who we are as a hotel or more over a Joie de Vivre Collection hotel. If you are interested in returning please feel free to reach out to me personally at kscott@jdvhotels.com and I will personally make sure that you next stay is flawless.
Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
Best regards,
Kevin Scott
Director of Operations
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 25, 2012

As they say location, location, location. Very close to the Bart/Muni via train or bus. Close to Chinatown, Union Square and the staff. Not only were they very helpful they were friendly and took time to answer all of our questions. Older hotel but with such wonderful charm missed on the wine happy hour but enjoyed the coffee in the morning. Price was nice for the area and what it was near too.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Haifa
Reviewed September 25, 2012

grate location, excellent service. the room was clean, accessorized with all my needs. Staff were friendly and helpful. wine-happy hour was fantastic- they offered complimentary glasses of wine around 5:30 pm-- a nice "apertif". room was comfortable and quaint.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Sason L
Kevin S, Director of Operations at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Sason L.,

Thank you so much for the rave review on Trip Advisor! We thank you for noticing the small touch points we provide that we believe add to our guest's overall value and experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Again, thank you for the 5 stars.

Best regards,

Kevin Scott
Director of Operations
kscott@jdvhotels.com
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed at Galleria park during a very busy conference while in San Francisco. The hotel itself was clean and quiet and I didn't have any problems. The staff was friendly, wine-happy hour was fantastic, and my room was comfortable and quaint. The only downside was that there is no bathroom counter space so I had to get a little creative with my things, and no full length mirror in the room. Otherwise, this hotel is close to Union Square (just a few blocks away), easy access to public transportation, and is off the beaten path a little so it offers some old-world charm. Plus, the price is much better than the bigger, more main-stream hotels.

Room Tip: I picked a city view room and it was still plenty quiet to get a good night's sleep b/c it wasn...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Davao
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 5 days. Great service, exceptional people running this hotel -- from the concierge, to the front desk, to the housekeeping and all the way to its manager.

Although we stayed in a room on the 3rd floor facing the street, we slept pretty well and did not find the room noisy at all. The park suite was wonderfully appointed. One thing that impressed me was how the hotel tried to be ecologically responsible, not just the run of the mill save detergent by saving your towel to save the environment thing, it was something much more than that. The hotel went all out in involving itself in being truly a green hotel.

complimentary wine tasting in the late afternoon and hot drinks in the morning were wonderful services. Areas in the hotel worth visiting and enjoying are the walking/jogging track in the 3rd floor, which I use for quiet time by sitting and reading a book. The lobby with the fireplace is a favorite too.

The location of this hotel is difficult to beat, it is near everything--10 minute walk to the ferry building, its also near china town, near union square, near market street, near public transportation stations too!

It has a wonderful Japanese restaurant as well worth visiting, or if you are tired, you can order in and eat in the comfort of your room

Room Tip: i cannot undo the spa rating, i accidentally pressed it, I dont think the hotel has a spa. I agree...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rexoy
GalleriaHotelGM, General Manager at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. I am very pleased to read that you found our location convenient to all popular sights in San Francisco and that you enjoyed our services and amenities.

I shared your review with my staff who work hard every day to make sure that our guests enjoy their stay in San Francisco.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

James Lim
Managing Director
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a small, cozy boutique hotel a short walk from Union Square. Staff were friendly and helpful, and the night we were there, they offered complimentary glasses of wine around 5:30 pm-- a nice "apertif", if you will. Our room was a bit on the small side, so this is perhaps not the best pick if you have a ton of luggage and need to be able to open big suitcases and spread their contents out, but for us (two small suitcases + some miscellaneous bags), it wasn't a problem. The space was beautifully decorated, clean, and cozy, and we slept like babies.

It's a short walk from Union Square, Chinatown, BART (2 or 3 blocks), the cable cars, and there's a quite breakfast place next door that was very convenient in the morning. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple