“Wine hour at 5:30 pm”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver, Canada
“Wine hour at 5:30 pm”
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Great location fairly close to Union Square and within a little more than one block from a BART station. Older hotel, but has been updated. We got a good rate based on a deal they just ran and stayed for five nights. Very close to Chinatown gates and you can walk to most areas of downtown San Francisco. We stayed in a room with a view over Sutter Street, but is was noisy due to the street traffic. Our room was basic, but no complaints. No plug for the bathtub which was a little weird. The free wifi was slow, but it mostly worked. If you arrive by air, grab the BART to Montgomery Street station and a short walk to the hotel. One of the best features was free wine from 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm each night. Very civilized and you can meet people from other parts of the US or the world. Staff are very friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, do not choose a "room with a view". Get to the free wine tasting if you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I only booked this hotel for the location and price. We wanted something close to AT & T Park to see the Giants. It was great. We walked to all three games. It is in the heart of the Financial District. China Town only a few blocks. I wouldn't recommend it though. It's dirty, smelly like dead fish and curry, and over crowded with cheap shops. But just a few blocks over, there is Little Italy! What a wonderful neighborhood filled with little Italian cafes with curbside tables and is quiet, cozy and very clean. The Financial District has very nice shops and restaurants and bars. We were able to walk to everything including Fisherman's Warf.

The hotel overall was very nice and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was cozy and the beds were very comfortable with down comforters. The bathroom was very small but okay. The only complaint was we liked to sleep with the windows open and it was so noisy!!! There were always sirens from a fire truck or police. If there were no sirens there was a trash truck that came by every morning around 3:00am to wake us up just as we were falling back a sleep. Plus there are a lot of homeless people on every corner and they like to scream all hours of the night. But we figured it was San Francisco and chalked it up to the city life there. After we walked around it was just as noisy at the St. Regis, the Hilton, and the Weston which were all just a couple blocks away with all the same problems. So the higher price tag, same homeless people and noise.

For the value this hotel was excellent. Wine every night, great tasting coffee in the morning and great staff, and comfortable beds. I complained about the noise at check out and the staff recommended next time request a room on the Sutter Street side. That might be a little more quieter.

This is the place to stay if you are going to a Giants game or need to be in the Financial District. Also, do not take a taxi or limo from the airport. This hotel has a pick up service with a very friendly driver @ 50.00 flat fee in a town car. Make the reservation, you will get ripped off with a taxi and limo. If you have a car they have free parking. We did not have a car but if you are renting one it is nice to have the parking. All the other hotels charge to park.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Sutter Street. It is a quieter side for sleeping.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We got a great deal on a suite (really a large room) through Jetsetter. The location is amazing and the staff is great. Free coffee and tea in the morning, free wine in the afternoons (although we were not around). The room was large, bed was nice, they brought in a crib for the baby. The bathroom was somewhat small and a little outdated (but clean, which is all I really care about).

My only real complaint was that it was VERY noisy at night. I have since seen other reviews that say to ask for a courtyard room. Duh. If we had a courtyard room, it would have been great.

Room Tip: ask for an inside/courtyard room.
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We spent our last night in San Francisco at Galleria Park ( after spending the first two at the family friendly funky 50's hotel del sol; another Joie de Vivre property) and really hated to leave.This is a renovated old hotel that has retained many beautiful elements, like marble stairs, ironwork, beautiful ceilings and woodwork. Our suite was perfect for our family, plenty of room, on the streetside but very quiet, comfy beds, great shower (with a window that opened), and very beautifully decorated.
Complimentary wine, a lovely interior garden to drink the great coffee from nearby great bakeries) and a fitness room to please the teens. The central location for shopping is perfect. you do pay to park, but will anywhere in the Union Square area. The greatest assest of this property though, is the service, The staff makes every guest feel not only welcome, but special.
I would never stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: corner suites are large,
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Director of Operations at Galleria Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Dear mbksv,
We are thrilled to read that you and your family had a great time visiting San Francisco and staying with us at Galleria Park. Furthermore, thank you for the glowing review on Trip Advisor.
Service is definitely a focus for us and we love that you and your family had the opportunity to enjoy not only our property but also our people.
We look forward to welcoming back everyone soon and if I can be of any assistance in booking your next stay with us please do not hesistate to contact me.
Best regards,
Kevin Scott
San Diego
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The location for the hotel is great for sight-seeing. It was REALLY noisy on the Kearney Street side, so ask for a courtyard room. Seems like it is the path for all emergency vehicles. On a more positive note, the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, but we loved the colors and the art. Beds are VERY comfortable! There is a "track" for walking, reading, sitting on the third floor. Very nice!

San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I booked this hotel because of the photos and information I saw and read about. I called the hotel and was pleasantly treated by Galen. I was treated in such a great manner by Galen that I had to book the hotel. I was staying with my partner and a couple of friends and he was able to get me a great room. He had mentioned that there was a great wine hour and I planned my arrival around that time:) Upon my arrival I was greater with such great hospitality and was given information about where I can find dinner, breakfast & lunch. Excited about wine hour I grabbed myself a glass of Chardonnay and headed to my room. The room was just the right size. Not too big or too small for myself and my friends. A great room and comfortable as well. I had ordered a bottle of wine to be ready in my room upon my arrival, it was a lovely wine!! I can't wait to be back again! Thanks Galen for booking my room and providing such a great stay!!

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2012

The hotel was superbly located, very close to union square, china town and a number of restaurants. The staff were incredibly helpful recommending some really good places to eat, where to buy transport passes (a 3 day pass was great), how to get back to airport etc. We really enjoyed the wine every evening.