See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 8, 2016 via mobile

The worst hotel ever. Dirty carpet, moldy shower, Windows that do not lock. Breakfast was white bread and a toaster. I would not recommend to anyone and cannot believe we paid to stay here. The only positive was the person working there that allowed my son make a no charge fax home.

Stayed: September 2016, traveled as a couple
ManagerDM, Manager at Presidio Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2016

Dear Shamca,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Presidio Inn. We take all of our comments seriously and try to improve with every stay. Please know that your experience is not our standard and we will follow up with our housekeeping department regarding your comments. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Presidio Inn and Suites

Reviewed August 17, 2016

I booked this hotel for the last weekend of my wife and I's honeymoon after our time in Yosemite. Don't get me wrong, it was totally my fault that I didn't look closer during the reservation process to see that I was actually booking a totally different hotel than what I thought I was. I just wanted to warn others not to make the same mistake after talking up the historic Inn at the Presidio the whole drive only to find you have no reservation there. The gentleman at the check in counter was helpful and took a good bit of time to make sure we didn't get charged twice for our stay because he wasn't sure if it had already been payed for or not. Wifi is free and the gentleman at the front desk was very helpful giving directions for logging on. All in all, it was a good stay. The room was more or less a normal hotel room and the bed was made and clean. No real complaints there. It was definitely not the most clean or luxurious hotel I've ever stayed in, but it was far from the worst as well. Location is great for all sorts of restaurants well within walking distance.
My only complaint was breakfast. I laugh about it now, but when they say free light breakfast, they mean light. Toast, coffee, tea, and juice was available. Again, not a big deal in the slightest as there are so many great restaurants close by.
The lesson here is that you get what you pay for. Its not the nicest hotel in the city, but its also really not bad at all, just a relatively normal hotel. The location is honestly great though for any number of things to do.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
ManagerDM, Manager at Presidio Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2016

Dear Smw1521,

Congratulations on your wedding! Oh no, we are so sorry to hear you accidentally mixed up the hotels, which was probably disappointing for you since you spent the entire car ride talking it up! However, we are very pleased to hear you had a good stay with us and enjoyed our location, which is close to many of San Francisco's famous attractions. If you find yourself in SF and looking for a budget hotel, we hope you will stay with us again!

Reviewed July 15, 2016

I stayed here back in May with family as part of holiday for my Mum's 65th birthday. The room itself was very dated and was badly in need of redecoration. There was a huge iron burn mark in the carpet, the curtains were falling to pieces and the majority of the lights didn't work. It felt quite dark and dirty. However, I knew it was cheaper than other places in the same area and you get what you pay for. I wasn't overly bothered by this as I knew we would hardly be in the room as we would be out sightseeing most of the time and the place is located well for that.

My big issue was with the staff, who are either incompetent or down right liars. Upon check in I was told that payment for one night would be taken on my credit card with the balance taken at check out. During my stay I noticed that I had been charged twice - once for one night and a second time for the full amount, meaning I had been overcharged by one night (approximately $150 overcharge).

I raised this on several occasions with the people at reception. I explained that I had been charged twice. Their response was that it must be an error by my credit card company who must have put the payment through twice. I explained that the two amounts charged were different. There was a categorical denial from the staff that they had charged me twice. I return with my laptop and showed them my online credit card statement. Their story changed yet again. They insisted that the first payment was just the security deposit and that it would be refunded when I left. Despite several conversations with the staff at the hotel they refused to accept their mistake. Upon checkout I raised the issue again and asked to speak to the manager. The manager wasn't in town according to the staff. They took my details and promised the manager would contact me. The manager never contacted me. The amount overcharged was never refunded to me. Thankfully my credit card provider have refunded me. They too contacted the hotel but received no response from them. I find that behaviour very very poor.

The staff knew they had overcharged a customer but didn't do anything about it. That either makes them incompetent or happy to rip customers off (which is tantamount to fraud).

Perhaps mine is an isolated incident, although reading just a small sample of the really bad reviews on here I suspect others have experienced the same issue.

• Stayed: May 2016, traveled with family
2  Thank Chris T
Reviewed July 1, 2016 via mobile

Place is OK. Breakfast is a Danish. Parking is limited although there was a space when we got back at 9 pm. No a/c but we needed heat and it worked. Not close enough to walk to the wharf. No water pressure in shower. It was clean enough to sleep and run.

Stayed: July 2016, traveled with family
ManagerDM, Manager at Presidio Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2016

Dear Tom H,

Thank you for the thoughtful review and taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We hope that you will understand that like a lot of hotels in San Francisco, we do not offer A/C as it is rarely needed. Also, while parking is limited, it is free. A lot of hotels charge very high rates for parking in San Francisco. We take feedback very seriously. Your positive and negative comments will help us improve. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed June 6, 2016

Unlike many starks comments on TripAdvisor that brought much fear into my friends and I when we got Presidio Inn from Hotwire, I have to admit I was really impressed with my stay. We got room 203 and 208 (both on 3rd floor), at first entrance; there was a musty smell probably from the stale carpet(and dusty). However other than that the beds were cleaned and the room was pretty neat. Although there wasn't any aircon, leaving the windows slightly ajar made the temperature just right.
Although you can hear some traffic and rowdy gangs walking along lombard street, it wasn't too disruptive nor unbearable.
Breakfast was simple--> I love their instant hot chocolate mix.
Of course, most importantly the gentleman at the front desk on the day of check in was REALLY polite and accommodating to our request. He even told us that he will give us a room that is away from the noisier residents (which he already experienced from previous nights!)

Overall, it was a pleasant stay, I am really thankful for Presidio Inn for making this stay enjoyable for me and my friends. (Stayed from 4-6 June 2016)

Room Tip: If you want less of the noise from the road, get a high number; e.g. 108/208/308
  • Stayed: June 2016, traveled with friends

Dear nl1m,

Wow, thank you for the 4 star review. We will make sure to pass along your compliments to the staff, especially our "REALLY polite" front desk. We hope that you and your friends will visit us again very soon.

Warm Regards,