“Hotel Drisco is A Frisco Dream”
Review of Hotel Drisco

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Campbell, California
“Hotel Drisco is A Frisco Dream”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I were originally going to stay at the SF Fairmont for a birthday celebration but after reading such wonderful reviews of Hotel Drisco we decided to stay here and are glad we did. We had a One Bedroom Suite on the 4th floor (Room 403), overlooking Pacific Avenue and the San Francisco Bay. Our view was quite nice because we were on the top floor of the hotel which is situated on one of the highest hills of San Francisco. Over the rooftops of some of the most wealthiest and sophisticated mansions of the city, we could see all the way to Alcatraz Island, the Marin Headlands, and we even had a tiny view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

The room was quite spacious and well appointed except for the Nespresso Machine which I could never get to work. The bed was comfortable yet firm and was just the ticket for providing a nights rest. There was even a pillow menu to choose from if you desired a bit more custom comfort which we took advantage of. We also appreciated the adaptive-sound machine on the night stand which offered us a variety of sounds to sleep by. We chose the "ocean" sound as this was soothing to the soul and a good solution for drowning out a bit of street noise just outside our window. If you got up during the night and wanted to watch some T.V. or a DVD like my husband did, you could seal off the bedroom with the sliding doors that separated the living room from the bedroom and wouldn't disturb your partner. The only complaint was that on Monday morning we were awoken before 7 a.m. by construction crews, delivery vehicles, and garbage trucks with their beep, beep, beep annoying sounds. Not a pleasant way to be awoken.

We looked forward to the complimentary wine and cheese reception everyday with it's elegant display of meats, artisan cheeses, fruits and great selection of wines. Oh and you can't forget the signature meatballs which tasted like the Swedish variety that my mom use to make. We weren't even hungry for dinner afterwards. The breakfast was very good too offering a variety of meats, cheeses, bagels, lox, cream cheese, hard boiled eggs, pastries, breads, yogurt, fruits, and coffee. Espresso or cappuccino is offered upon request. The only thing missing was scrambled eggs, I'm not a fan of the hard boiled variety.

In my opinion the hotel was an intimate version of the Fairmont where you felt special and not just another number. When we arrived home my husband said that it felt like we had actually been somewhere else because it didn't feel like a city visit. If you want to feel like you're in the city but not really IN the city stay here. It's just blocks away from several shopping areas such as the Fillmore, and Union Shopping Districts and footsteps away from the Presidio. Our morning walks were great to people watch and take in views of the Bay, spectacular mansions, perfectly manicured gardens and colorful flower beds. Just be careful not to venture down too far as the walk back up will exhaust you. The streets in this neighborhood are VERY steep!

For dinner we enjoyed a limousine ride (provided by the hotel for an extra fee), to Yoshi’s Jazz Club & Restaurant where the food was great but service was lousy. So lousy that we were comped entrance to the Jazz Show afterwards. We enjoyed the entertainment of Roy Rogers and The Delta Rhythm Kings featuring special guest Carlos Reyes. An amazing performance which wiped away our memories of the bad service.

We would definitely stay at the Drisco again!

Room Tip: Parking: Make sure you get the hotel to park your car and don't self park. The only available pa...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

You took such care to write a wonderful and comprehensive review -- thank you! If you come visit us again be sure to ask for me and I will personally show you how to use the Nespresso machine. It can be a little finicky but it is so worth it!

John Spear

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Korean first
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 25th wedding anniversary, and our expectations were high based on the reviews here. While this was a fine, upscale hotel, it is hardly the #1 hotel in San Francisco. The good: warm, friendly staff, good breakfast, nice bedding. The location is a mixed bag. It is in a lovely, exclusive neighborhood, but it is at the top of a steep hill and not really walking distance to anything. There is also no outdoor space whatsoever...not even a bench to sit on outside on a beautiful day. Disappointing: the size of the room...it was tiny...much smaller than I expected from the photos. It was also quite noisy, between street noise and noise from rooms upstairs and across the hall. The elevator was broken for the entire four days of our stay...I got very tired of walking up and down the stairs (which visibly needed to be vacuumed more frequently given the constant use they were getting.) I don't want to dis this place because it is quite pleasant overall, but I wouldn't choose it again for a special occasion.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank everettsmom
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the problem we recently experienced with our elevator. You are quite right to hold us accountable for the inconvenience that caused you.

Regarding your additional concerns about your experience with us, unfortunately it seems you may have had some expectations of us that we were not in a position to meet:

* We are indeed at the top of a steep hill (one reason why we offer gorgeous city views from our designated "City View" guestrooms).

* We are in a residential area of San Francisco -- Pacific Heights, a beautiful neighborhood with tree-lined streets and amazing homes. The closest shops and stores are three blocks away.

* You are quite right that we do not have any publicly-accessible outdoor space, nor do we claim to have.

* Our non-suite guestrooms range in size from 290 to 320 square feet, which is quite common for older hotels in a dense city like San Francisco. Granted that may seem small by Las Vegas standards, for example. Many of our guests celebrating special occasions choose one of our suites for extra space, but of course that is entirely a personal preference.

Lastly, on the issue of noise, I must offer you my apologies there as well. The Drisco is a 1903 Eduardian wood-framed structure, and even though we have worked to reduce noise transmission in a variety of ways (and even though our guests are usually extremely courteous), we unfortunately cannot claim to have the same level of soundproofing as a more modern concrete structure.

In closing, I would like to offer up my oft-repeated phrase here on Trip Advisor, that the Hotel Drisco is an absolutely amazing hotel, but it is absolutely not the perfect hotel for everyone. If you are not deterred by the above, and are looking for incomparable service and amenities, then you can't do better than the Drisco -- I will guarantee that personally!

Many thanks to you for taking the time to post your review.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I am a frequent traveler for business and pleasure and I have never had so much personal attention from a hotel. Phone calls and emails to confirm our stay. Friendly, courteous staff members who took care of our every need. Free street parking that required the car to be moved frequently was handled by the staff. Room upgrade upon check in offered when I requested a different room. High quality food served for complimentary breakfast and wine and cheese reception. Room service that was tasty and affordable. Comfortable beds and beautiful bedding. Bikes for use by guests. This hotel is located in one of the most prestigious neighborhoods in San Francisco. Yes, it is a bit of a hike to get to Union Square or the Ferry Building but they also offer car service to get you there but if you walk, it's a great way to see the city!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the lower level dining room area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clc13
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Service is what we do best -- genuine, empathetic, intelligent service tailored to your needs. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us!

Thanks for taking the time to post a review.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was our 5th or 6th stay at this marvellous hotel. It's amazing that an establishment can keep on improving on perfection but the Drisco does and does it so well. They now offer room service (although we sadly weren't there long enough to try it), and added all sorts of amenities that boggle the mind including a small check-out pouch with amenities for your flight! It's almost like coming home to see the same staff, who cannot do enough for you and are only too willing to help in every way they can. They also take care of parking your car and moving it at no charge because parking in any city, especially a residential area, can be agony for any visitor. Extra pillows are sent up to your room if needed and guests can choose the type of filling and /or firmness. Linens on par with the highest standards as is the bedding. We always sleep so well, it's hard to leave!
Breakfast is still served in the dining room with something for everyone (buffet-style) and expresso, latté's brewed fresh. Afterwards we enjoy reading our complimentary newspapers in the "living room" which also offers tea, coffee and chilled fresh water 24/7. If I had to work late, I often snuck down there to avoid waking my husband. In the late afternoons wine and cheese is also served in the dining room with a lovely selection of different wines to choose from. We are staunch fans of the Drisco and wish all hotels could take a leaf from their book! Many thanks again, we look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your warm and wonderful review. I am very pleased that you notice and appreciate all the little extra touches we continue to add to the Drisco experience. The next time you stay with us you must try some items off our new Room Service menu!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

The best thing about Hotel Drisco is the staff and location . Very helpful staff that answered my emails promptly. Great breakfast. Wine and snacks in the afternoon. They gave us good directions to the Golden Gate Bridge. I gave the room a 4 because there was no air conditioning which we needed in Sept.

• Stayed September 2013
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks very much for the five star review!

The vast majority of older buildings in San Francisco (both reidential and commercial) do not have air conditioning. Quite simply, it is very rarely something one would choose to turn on due to the nearly ever-present cool Pacific breezes. However, we did have a few warm days this past September, and I realize that this explanation did nothing to help you cool off your room! Please accept my sincere apologies if it was a bit warm for you, and I am grateful that inconvenience did not detract too much from your ability to enjoy our five star services and amenities!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

There were 6 of us in total (3couples)... We were there to celebrate a friends birthday. Hotel was clean and in a great safe location. Highlight of hotel were all the staff....Sara ,John and many more. They were more than helpful and made us feel at home. The breakfasts in morning and wine and cheese reception in the evening were absolutely amazing. I would recommend this hotel to anyone..
Sue and Murray (wpg mb)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sue L
Dear Guest,

That is high praise indeed! I will be sure to share your kind comments with both Sara and Jon. Thanks so much for your lovely review.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've had the good fortune to stay at a number of top hotels over the years; The Peninsula Beverly Hills, Regency NYC, several Four Seasons, many small properties that are part of Relaix and Cheateaux, etc.

The level of service at the Drisco is on par and in many cases, surpasses the very best. Marti and Bob on the front desk leave you with no doubt that you are going to be taken care of as if you were an honored guest in their house. While the rooms are smallish, the amenities are equal to any 5-star. Breakfast and wine tasting included and all at a top quality. Neighborhood is quiet and gorgeous; Overall, maybe the best boutique hotel on the planet.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stevenbh
Dear Guest,

We maintain a bulletin board at the hotel where we post every Trip Advisor review we receive so all staff can see what our guests are saying about their experiences. Sometimes I highlight staff members' names when they're mentioned, comments about how we can improve and from time to time a particularly great comment. You can rest assured that your phrase "best boutique hotel on the planet" will find a place of honor on our bulletin board! This is awesome feedback for our hard-working team but I hope it will also serve as a reminder never to rest on our laurels. Thanks so much for your feedback.

John Spear

P.S. Bob and Marti thank you for the compliments!