“an excellent spot in "the city"” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
monterey
“an excellent spot in "the city"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel Drisco is a delightful treat for a visit in San Francisco. The historic building is atop the hills around the Presidio with gorgeous views. Can't say enough about the entire staff at the hotel--all were genuinely kind and very helpful. Excellent wine and cheese in the evening and a fabulous breakfast every morning. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Montereymary

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Korean first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Attractive 'historic' hotel close to the Presidio. Rooms beautifully furnished with antiques, spacious and comfortable. No bar or restaurant but nice touch with the cheese and wine every evening. Great breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank NicholasUk
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Loved this hotel! Only reason I gave a 4 star rating instead of 5 stars is because I personally found the bed to be quite hard for my liking. My husband had no complaints about it, which is odd considering that he hates a hard bed and I prefer them! But this was a bit much, even for me. I had a back ache every morning. That aside, we had a lovely stay. The staff was attentive and helpful. The breakfast was delicious, many things to choose from (pastries, fruit, bagels, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, cereals, breads, etc.). It's buffet style only, which was no problem for us. The location of the hotel is in a neighborhood area, so I would recommend renting a car, a cab could get expensive. Parking was not an issue for us since overnight street parking is allowed and we left after breakfast to sightsee all day. The front desk has dvd's that one can check out.

The rooms were nicely decorated. However, being from Florida, I quickly noticed that there is no A/C! Never having been in northern California before, I didn't know that it's not really necessary as the nights are very chilly and breezy.

If you are looking for a quiet and quaint hotel, this is it. But if you are looking for something closer to attractions and public transportation, you're probably better off in the downtown area or near fisherman's wharf. We loved that this hotel was far from those things as we were looking for something quiet and not so "touristy." I personally think this hotel is more suited for a romantic couples trip and families. I don't really think a young college crowd or someone looking to be "close to the action" would enjoy and appreciate this hotel.

Thank you for a lovely stay Hotel Drisco! We definitely will return when in SF again.

Room Tip: City view rooms are spacious and have larger bathrooms. I didn't think much of the view from our...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jenny C
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We can't compliment Hotel Drisco enough. They have "attention to detail" down to a science from the hot towels upon arrival to the cookies and water bottles they leave every night for turn down service. The included breakfast is fabulous and abundant. My husband loved the wine and cheese hour so much that he made sure we were back to the hotel by 5:30 every evening! It's the kind of hotel that makes you sad to leave even when you're going out to have fun in wonderful San Francisco! We loved our room, which was upgraded for us for our anniversary celebration -- beautiful city view. We slept wonderfully every night given the comfort of the room (you can choose the kind of pillow you like from a pillow menu!) and the peacefulness of the area in Pacific Heights. The rooms, bathrooms, and common areas are kept spotlessly clean. They also have an extensive list of complimentary DVDs you can take to your room and we loved doing that at night as well as the Mighty Leaf tea selection you can drink any time day or night -- all the little touches go a long way. We rented a car during our trip. Parking at the hotel was no problem and getting around was very easy. Everything we wanted to see and do was quite close, but you have the benefit of staying in an exclusive neighborhood.

The staff was very friendly and they go out of their way to cater to your every need. Next time we visit San Francisco, I can't imagine we'd stay anywhere else. The value for your money is hard to beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FloridaGirl1983
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed all of our "little touches." As you know, hotels in San Francisco can be on the expensive side compared to some other cities, and our goal is to make sure we provide you with excellent value, and all of the complimentary extras that you describe are part of that effort. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Santa Cruz, Ca.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We just returned from a one night stay at the Hotel Drisco and it was wonderful. This was our second stay. Not sure if I reviewed the first one, but it would have been the same review as this one. We really like this hotel for many reasons. First of all, I had told the front desk that it was my husband's birthday and they upgraded us from a king room to a suite. Very generous of them and made our stay so pleasant. The suite has a separate sitting room and even though it was on the 1st floor, still had wonderful city view. The manager also left a birthday card and a split of champagne on ice waiting in the room for when we arrived. Very thoughtful touch. The room was large and the bed and pillows so comfortable. In the evening, there is a wine reception in the dining area with hot and cold snacks as well, that was very pleasant. And the morning breakfast has a large variety of pastries, breads, cold meats & cheeses, oatmeal, bagels and so much more. A feast for the eyes as well, it is beautifully presented. The hotel has a more intimate "bed & breakfast" feeling to it than some of the larger chain hotels, but we like this alot. It is also in the beautiful and serene Pacific Heights neighborhood, which is a great place to walk around with fabulous views. They recommended a great restaurant within walking distance that we really enjoyed, so we didn't need to use our car at all. But I have to say the the overwhelming thing that sets the Drisco apart from other hotels is the great customer service provided by every single employee. From the front desk, housekeeping, bell hop...everyone we we encountered was friendly, kind and so helpful. It made us feel so welcome and somewhat special. This alone is reason to choose the Hotel Drisco for any visit to S.F. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cdcparunner
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. I will be sure to share your kind words about our service with every member of my staff.

Adelaide, south Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Drisco for 8 nights, end April, early May. My first impressions started when I contacted Bob about 2 weeks before my stay by email, wrt a reliable tour to Yosemite Nat Park. He was unfailingly courteous and polite, gave me plenty of information in a timely manner and kept me updated regularly. This meant a lot to me as it was last minute planning on my part.
I had originally booked a deluxe city view room and was planning to move to a cheaper room for the rest of my stay. 2 days before I left, I asked to stay, if possible in the original room. Without a murmur they accommodated me.
August, their driver escorted me from the airport and my room was ready, although it was 2 hours from checkin. I had been upgraded at no extra cost to a 2nd floor suite! Beautiful, spacious with a view over the city.
Yes, it's a bit out of the way, the floors are creaky, it probably doesn't suit small families or the mobility challenged. I did have one night where I could hear every word of a conversation downstairs ( yet I knew the occupants were speaking at normal volume...) at 10pm, so not recommended for light sleepers.
The extras:
Service - first class, unfailingly with a smile. Most people have worked for this hotel for long periods, August for 30 years... Cleaners, servers, everyone courteous and genuinely happy ( not just to see your tips...)
Bottled water and newspapers in your room daily, free wifi
Complimentary car to financial district, Fishermans' wharf, Union Square.
Great Continental breakfast buffet, extremely reasonable charge for non-hotel guests
Evening wine and cheese reception, included local phone calls and some other things I did not use

The local restaurants were good, including Isa, a few dollar taxi rides away. Bus routes convenient, the 3 to city centre was a two block walk (albeit uphill on the way home with shopping!)

I loved it! As a solo traveller on business, it was perfect for me and I would come back as such in a heartbeat.
Thanks, Bob, Sarah and everyone. Don't change a thing....

Room Tip: Ask for a room from 2nd floor and up
Green Features: They had recycling bins, towels only replaced if on the floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank sewexciting
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks so much for your kind words. Bob, Sara and the rest of us look forward to welcoming you back soon!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I just checked out today. The closet is in the bathroom, which the humidity damages the clothing. I paid tips lower than the day i paid before, and the quality of room cleaning droped a lot. For breakfast, the tag is left on the fruit. There is no cab around the hotel. The only way to go downtown for visitors is the shuttle, which ends at 9 30 am. Very sad

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank ccorxx
Dear Guest,

I am always saddened when a guest does not enjoy their stay with us. Please accept my apologies for your disappointment with your closet and the tags on the fruit.

Our housekeepers are a very honorable and dedicated team, many of whom have been working for the hotel for decades. If the servicing of your room was not up to par, I do not believe it was because of any difference in gratuity. You were very kind to have left the gratuity for them -- thank you.

Regarding transportation, there are many options if you do not have a car. In addition to nearby bus routes and taxis (which our Front Desk staff is happy to call for you at any time of day or night), we do offer our complimentary chauffeur service on weekday mornings from 7am to 9:30am. I'm sorry of none of those options were convenient for you.

If you return to San Francisco, it sounds to me like you might want to explore some hotel options on Union Square. If it's swarming cabs you're looking for, that's where you'll find them!