“Free Parking in the City!”
Review of Hotel Drisco

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento
“Free Parking in the City!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I recently attended business meetings at the Hotel Drisco and was very much impressed. On first blush, it's a little off the beaten tourism track and my usual Union Square haunts. However, the hotel is located in a beautiful neighborhood within easy walking distance to Presidio and up the hill from Filmore shopping, Be sure to do the Lyon Street stairs - three or four blocks of stairways fronting some mansions with a beautiful bay view.

About the title of the review...the hotel has no parking, however, after a pretty easy search for street parking, I provided the front desk with my keys and they dealt with moving my car for the street sweeping and other parking restrictions. So, if you use your car during your stay, you do have to hunt for street parking when you return, but it's free and that's a rarity in San Francisco. I'll take it.

Hotel was excellent - good service, a plethora of amenities, a great continental breakfast (they serve coffee with the self-service breakfast, which is a nice touch - "will you have an Americano again this morning, sir?"). Rooms were great and I slept very well, so all good in the sleep department.

I was so impressed, I made reservations to return with my family in two weeks - I can't wait to share the Hotel Drisco experience with them.

1 Thank Derman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Korean first
Napa
Reviewed February 10, 2013

From the minute I pulled up to the Hotel Drisco I knew I was in for a special treat. Located in beautiful Pacific Heights this hotel is absolute perfection. The staff was extremely accommodating going so far as to move my car when I parked in a three hour time zone saving me from a parking ticket - now that is service! The General Manager greeted me for the wine hour and for breakfast in the morning, and the front desk staff were available and helpful. My room was stunningly elegant and large. For a hotel in the city it was very quiet and peaceful, and I had a wonderful night sleep in an extremely comfortable bed. The Hotel Drisco is my new SF Hotel. I won't be staying anywhere else...

1 Thank InnOnRandolph
Denver
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here based on the TA reviews. It is a great little hotel. The service was great, the breakfast ample and our upgraded room had a sitting area overloking the city, bright, airy, delightful. It is in a great quite neighborhood of awesome houses but the downside of that is that is it is a $12 cab to most anything. Parking is free but requires you to move the car every 3 hrs (except weekends) but they gladly took care of that for me. I will make this my hotel when vistung SF.

Groveland, California
Reviewed February 9, 2013

When in New York I stay at the Waldorf, in Memphis, the Peabody and in San Francisco, the Drisco! This property is thumbs down to these hotels when it comes to absolute perfection in attention to detail and the unbelieveable level of hospitality afforded their guests. Rooms are immaculate, with a level of amenities I've never seen before. What a great night's sleep after a long day of travel, with the great option of choosing the type pillow.

Since parking is limited and on the street, you needn't worry about getting a ticket every 3 hours...the Drisco staff move your vehicle to insure compliance with parking laws, and there's no $30/night parking fee!

Staff is totally professional and insures your every need is met. Food service at both breakfast and evening wine is terrific, with a very broad selection to choose from.

If you have the opportunity, the 360 degree view of the City from the roof is absolutely amazing!

Thank you, Drisco Staff for the 'perfect visit'.

1 Thank wineaux
Calistoga, CA
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I visited the week of February 3 on a short business trip. Every single part of my stay was as close to perfect as I've ever experienced in a relatively small hotel in a big city. The staff (every single one I met) were so helpful, and even better, seemed genuinely happy to be helpful. One bell staff person even moved my car to avoid a parking ticket--after volunteering to do so.

The room (an executive suite) was very large and well appointed, had "every amenity known to man", and one of the most comfortable beds/bed linen combinations I've ever enjoyed. And the location was exceptional in the Pacific Heights area near the Presidio in one of San Francisco's classiest neighborhoods.

I also enjoyed the extensive (and FREE) breakfast options and the FREE afternoon wine and appetizers service--including the Hotel Drisco's own wine sommelier. That's a new one for me. She offered, and provided complete descriptions of, 5 or 6 different wines to taste, plus wonderful hors d'oeuvres. I'm from Calistoga in the Napa Valley and the whole experience was akin to any of the best tasting events I've ever attended.

Great job by John Spears, the General Manager, and all of his staff.

Room Tip: Try for an outside room on the upper floors--great views of San Francisco in all directions; north t...
Pacific Grove, California
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Recently I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Drisco. The location among fine historic homes on top of the hill gave you a real feeling you were in San Francisco. The staff was attentive and extremely polite. The decor was also old San Francisco with a more modern touch and style. The range of services provided is unexcelled in any other small hotel I have ever stayed in. Breakfast, afternoon tea, wine and cheese, choice of pillows, room service, transportation, and it goes on and on, all provided with a welcoming smile. The facility was spotless, with recent upgrades, but still retained the patina of old SF. I had an excellent nights sleep and would like to return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Mr. Martine,

Although most of the reviews here on Trip Advisor are relatively anonymous, it was pretty easy for me to tell that you were the author of this particular review!

It was such a pleasure to host you recently at the Drisco. I think our Trip Advisor audience would be interested to learn that you were recently inducted into the California Hotel & Lodging Association's "Hall of Fame" for your lifetime of achievements in the hospitality industry.

You do us honor by your exceptionally kind review!

Many Thanks,

John Spear
Napa
Reviewed February 8, 2013

As Innkeepers of the Beazley House in Napa for nearly 32 years Carol and I know what it takes to even approach the level of excellence we just experienced at the Hotel Drisco in San Francisco this week!
There are no "Silver Bullets" in our business. No one thing like great location or immaculate upkeep to assure success. It is a combination of constant effort, applied by consummate professionals who make their guests feel warmly welcomed.
When a great bed, a delicious breakfast and expert advice are applied the result is an experience which lingers like a treasured memory.
We will return and send our guests who are looking for perfection in the City,

1 Thank JBeazleyNapa
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you so very much for your kind review. It means a great deal coming from proprietors of such a lovely inn.

Kind Regards,