“Quiet and Comfy B & B”

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 4, 2008

I will definitely return for a variety of good reasons - location, quiet, it's comfortable, and has amazing linens. Honestly, I felt this hotel met my needs better than the glitzy hotels downtown. A few things I'd say - I did not receive the phone call everyone mentions. Also, as a loyalty club member, I was supposed to receive a half bottle of wine. I asked about it, but it never appeared and I got the sense that I had been inappropriate by asking for it. The breakfast was very nice indeed with a friendly young man in charge. The wine was a nice quality but when I was there, they served only one kind of cheese and one kind of cracker and a small bowl of mixed olives - nice, but not special - the man that evening didn't offer a smile or welcome. I felt the staff was pleasant but didn't experience anything remarkable. A
request for a wakeup call was met warmly. However, I stood at the front desk for more than 5 minutes very early in the morning while the gentleman on duty had a chit chat with a woman on the phone (didn't sound like hotel business) and gave up - I had wanted to know where coffee could be found. Otherwise, I didn't ask for much and perhaps if I had, I could report more strongly on their customer service. In the room, it would be great to have a tv channel guide as well as prices for the items in the honor bar. I paid $369/night, so I can't call it a bargain but it was reasonable. All in all, I look forward to returning and perhaps I will move to a 5. Definitely worth staying so please don't misread my comments as something that should dissuade a stay. As I said, I'll go back.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank jodimaca
Hotel-Drisco, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2008

We were so appreciative of our guests' reactions expressed after their stay at the Hotel Drisco; reading their comments leads us to improving our service.

It is part of our Drisco tradition to call the Guests in their rooms a few minutes after they have checked in to insure that their accomodations are satisfactory and to ask if they require anything further. So I must apologize to these Guests if they did not receive our customary courtesy call.

Regarding the Loyalty Club, the Hotel Drisco does not participate in the Joie de Vivre program. However we are always happy to accrue Loyalty Points through other properties in our network. It is, of course, my personal responsibility to see that the Staff are fully aware of the amenities which are covered by the Loyalty Program.

The Drisco Staff always reads Guest Comments on TripAdvisor and you may rest assured that we are all saddened that these Guests did not enjoy the unique experience we want them to have. Of course we are doubly delighted to have their understanding and to know that they will come back again.

Reviewed April 2, 2008

We had a lovely stay at the Hotel Drisco and felt at home the minute my husband and two children (14 and 12 years old) walked in the front door . We were offered hot towels to refresh ourselves after our long drive. The front desk staff was very nice, especially Marti, who gave us many ideas. Our suite was sun drenched and spotless and very nicely decorated. We were all thrilled. We couldn't have asked for a better breakfast! I loved the location in the very beautiful neighborhood and there were wonderful places to eat within walking distance.

We are looking forward to returning to Hotel Drisco!

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 28, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Drisco on the first part of our honeymoon and we found the hotel excellent. The room felt modern and was made up to a very high standard.

The hotel is set in a very quiet (and obviously very expensive) part of San Francisco and it is quick, easy and cheap to get into the centre of the city using the numerous public Muni buses that depart from a couple of blocks away.

The little extras are what set the hotel apart. Every morning we had a complimentary paper hanging from our door. There was free DSL internet access in every room. The breakfasts were delicious with freshly pressed orange juice. The complimentary wine and cheese between 5pm and 7pm every evening was excellent and gave us the opportunity to question the hosts about what we should be doing and seeing.

We really enjoyed our time is Hotel Drisco, thanks

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GEdwardsUk
Reviewed March 26, 2008

Set in the beautiful Pacific Heights area, this hotel is quiet, clean, lovely, and the customer service is over the top. Hot towels on arrival, doormen that will help with ANYTHING, dinner reservations, you name it. Our room had a flat screen TV and free wireless Internet. The bedding and towels were luscious and the bathroom was large. Breakfast is cold but they do have boiled eggs and oatmeal, and it's complimentary. I thought the price was very fair for the location, service, and additions, like breakfast and Internet. Parking is on the street but its not bad. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 25, 2008

My wife and I are currently staying at the Drisco and thoroughly enjoying it. The hotel is early 1900s elegant, and is located in one of the poshest areas in SF high up in the desirable hill section. The mansion built by the Folgers of coffee fame is next store. President Hoover's home is a block or so away. There is a bit of a B&B feel to the hotel, with an attentive staff, a wine gathering in the early evening, and a very good continental breakfast (European style: meats, cheeses, fresh and dried fruits, cereal, yogurt, fresh squeezed orange juice, rolls, etc.). Assorted celebrities ranging from President Eisenhower to Ashley Judd have stayed here. The location is a bit far from downtown (10 to 15 minutes by taxi), but the hotel has a free car service downtown each morning. Moreover, the residential local makes for a quiet and relaxed feeling. We even slept with our windows open last night. The view from those windows is the skyline of downtown SF. There is no dedicated parking, but parking nearby on the street has not proven to be an issue so far. There is also no restaurant or bar, so apart from the breakfast, the only food available on site are grilled sandwiches. The room is reasonably sized and very nicely appointed. There is no A/C, but that is seldom an issue in SF. The heat also cannot be controlled (other than on/off in individual rooms), and it did seem a bit warm (solved by opening the window). Everything is exceptionally clean. If what you want is a glitzy edifice and lobby downtown in the middle of everything with every service possible available 24/7, then the Drisco might not be for you. But for a quiet and accommodating island in a busy metropolis, the Drisco can't be beat, and, especially for a several day stay, it is way less expensive than its glitzy, impersonal competitors.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank freetogoConnecticut
Reviewed March 21, 2008

This was our second visit to San Francisco within a year having enjoyed it so much first time around. Rather than the conventional chain hotels we decided to try something a little different and the Hotel Drisco couldn't have been better. Located away from the City Centre but in a lovely neighbourhood , Pacific Heights, you couldn't get more San Francisco. Yes it is a little hilly but that really is part of the charm of it all. It is only two blocks from a bus service downtown which is a fun ride in itself. Lovely room, warm welcomes all round and very nice extra little touches. A very good free breakfast and free glass of wine early evening served by Julio who was most charming. Normally we like to change things every time but next visit we will go back to the Hotel Drisco.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed March 15, 2008

I arrived midday during a business trip and needed to get some work done and found myself in a beautiful room with all the amenities to make my "office time" great. Sunny, spacious, and supremely comfortable. Fantastic, gracious staff...very personal...almost felt like I was staying in a private inn or B&B. Wonderful neighborhood. This hotel entirely changed my view (literally and figuratively) of SF, as I'd only stayed in downtown hotels on past visits.

I'd recommend to colleagues, family or friends (and already have!). I will definitely visit again when returning to SF.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business