“First rate”

GreenLeadersGold level
Connecticut
“First rate”
Reviewed March 25, 2008

My wife and I are currently staying at the Drisco and thoroughly enjoying it. The hotel is early 1900s elegant, and is located in one of the poshest areas in SF high up in the desirable hill section. The mansion built by the Folgers of coffee fame is next store. President Hoover's home is a block or so away. There is a bit of a B&B feel to the hotel, with an attentive staff, a wine gathering in the early evening, and a very good continental breakfast (European style: meats, cheeses, fresh and dried fruits, cereal, yogurt, fresh squeezed orange juice, rolls, etc.). Assorted celebrities ranging from President Eisenhower to Ashley Judd have stayed here. The location is a bit far from downtown (10 to 15 minutes by taxi), but the hotel has a free car service downtown each morning. Moreover, the residential local makes for a quiet and relaxed feeling. We even slept with our windows open last night. The view from those windows is the skyline of downtown SF. There is no dedicated parking, but parking nearby on the street has not proven to be an issue so far. There is also no restaurant or bar, so apart from the breakfast, the only food available on site are grilled sandwiches. The room is reasonably sized and very nicely appointed. There is no A/C, but that is seldom an issue in SF. The heat also cannot be controlled (other than on/off in individual rooms), and it did seem a bit warm (solved by opening the window). Everything is exceptionally clean. If what you want is a glitzy edifice and lobby downtown in the middle of everything with every service possible available 24/7, then the Drisco might not be for you. But for a quiet and accommodating island in a busy metropolis, the Drisco can't be beat, and, especially for a several day stay, it is way less expensive than its glitzy, impersonal competitors.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank freetogoConnecticut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Korean first
Gloucestershire, England
Reviewed March 21, 2008

This was our second visit to San Francisco within a year having enjoyed it so much first time around. Rather than the conventional chain hotels we decided to try something a little different and the Hotel Drisco couldn't have been better. Located away from the City Centre but in a lovely neighbourhood , Pacific Heights, you couldn't get more San Francisco. Yes it is a little hilly but that really is part of the charm of it all. It is only two blocks from a bus service downtown which is a fun ride in itself. Lovely room, warm welcomes all round and very nice extra little touches. A very good free breakfast and free glass of wine early evening served by Julio who was most charming. Normally we like to change things every time but next visit we will go back to the Hotel Drisco.

Stayed March 2008
Texas
Reviewed March 15, 2008

I arrived midday during a business trip and needed to get some work done and found myself in a beautiful room with all the amenities to make my "office time" great. Sunny, spacious, and supremely comfortable. Fantastic, gracious staff...very personal...almost felt like I was staying in a private inn or B&B. Wonderful neighborhood. This hotel entirely changed my view (literally and figuratively) of SF, as I'd only stayed in downtown hotels on past visits.

I'd recommend to colleagues, family or friends (and already have!). I will definitely visit again when returning to SF.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel, great staff, location
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Lake Tahoe, CA
Reviewed March 13, 2008

If incredible service and the elegance of a beautifully restored older hotel are important to you in your travels you will never find a better place than the Hotel Drisco. The rooms are comfortably furnished...the area is quiet for those of us who don't want to hear traffic noise and the breakfast was a nice plus...the rates are reasonable...but most importantly the staff is at your beck and call from the moment that you walk thru the front door...from the doorman to the front desk I have never stayed anywhere where the service was so above and beyond expectations. Whether you need a manicure appointment or a dinner reservation you don't even have to think about it...the front desk staff takes care of your requests. We also like the pre-visit call to see if we have any special needs during our stay. It's the little touches that make the Drisco such an elegant experience.

Stayed October 2007
New Jersey
Reviewed March 10, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at various hotels and B&B's on our frequent trips to San Francisco. We found the Drisco last spring on a walking tour of Pacific Heights and the Tripadvisor reviews encouraged us to stay there. From Marti's helpfulness with our reservation to her phone call before we left home to the hot towel and water bottle given us at check-in ( both welcome after a long flight) we knew we had made the right choice. Elizabeth is a gem, helping us with directions and restaurant suggestions and giving us ideas of things to do.

The room was immaculate and the bed was very comfortable. Our room had been newly renovated so everything felt and looked very fresh and clean. Breakfast is quite good featuring hot and cold cereal, bagels, pastries, meats and cheese and delicious orange juice.

Others have mentioned the noisy pipes. They are only noisy when the heat goes on, which, when we stayed, was usually after 7 or 7:30 am. However there is another caveat- even though the hotel is in a quiet neighborhood the garbage trucks and recycling pickup can still be noisy. The trucks did not come too early and I am sure there are interior rooms where the sound is more muffled. We loved the location of our room and would choose it again regardless of street noise.

The hotel is not far from both Fillmore and Union Streets each of which has trendy boutiques and restaurants. We also enjoyed free walking tours given by City Guides. If you are an ice cream fan don't miss Mitchell's near Hayes Valley and Naia in the Castro.

We are looking forward to our next stay at the Drisco!

• Liked — service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BethMiriam
Los Angeles
Reviewed March 3, 2008

Fantastic stay! Great, helpful staff . . very knowledgeable about the city. Wonderful continental breakfast in the morning. Beautiful rooms with exquisite toiletries. One funny story is that I made a comment on a feedback card on a suggestion for the bathroom and the general manager wrote me a personal letter back addressing my comment. That is just great in a day in age where service seems to have disappeared. Highly recommended for a quite stay in San Fran.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank rstuhaan
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed February 27, 2008

Hotel Drisco

We've been flirting with the idea of booking a luxury hotel via Luxury Link (where there are auctions and such and so you can nab a good deal on upscale accommodations) and our first try was a three night package, in a suite, at the Hotel Drisco in San Francisco.

After I checked out the deal -- about $700 for three nights, with some minor extras -- I sussed out the hotel on TripAdvisor and at the time it was the top-rated hotel in San Francisco! Not bad. It had "descended" to no. 4 by the time we booked (still not bad) and so we committed.

Loved it. The Drisco, as a cab driver who picked us up there commented, is the "incognito" hotel. If you want a Union Square location in the middle of everything, this isn't the place for you. But if you want to be in the heart of one of the most glamorous, beautiful neighborhoods in any city in the U.S., a relatively convenient walk from key city amenities like restaurants and shops, it's a great place.

It felt very European. Cozy. Great service that starts with a call to your home a few days before arrival. "Do you want to use our car service from the airport?" For a $15 difference between hiring an ordinary taxi and using a dedicated car, we bit and it was worth it. When the driver pulled up in front of the hotel, on a peak crest of the hills overlooking the Bay, I thought it was a private club. It felt like that the whole time.

Scrupulously well-maintained (and in fact they were upgrading rooms and suites while we were there with new carpets, flat screens and DVDs to replace existing electronics). Great bathrooms with deep soaking tubs. Nice amenities. With a quiet and lofty presence above San Francisco (our suite, living room with television, couch, cozy by-the-window chairs, and our bedroom, with a working desk, free Internet, another television, great bed, bathrobes and slippers) had great city views. The whole feeling was of a first rate hotel for those who like feeling comfortable, and even pampered, without pretension.

At cocktail hour there was a wine and savories set-up, quite cozy (and we even brought in a local friend and no one batted an eye, only wished I remembered the name of the white wine because it was crisp and delicious). Breakfast was European in nature -- cold cuts, yogurt, oatmeal, made-to-order coffees, croissants. Included in, I believe, all room rates (though check on it).

Adored the neighborhood -- with its multi-million dollar mansions, gorgeous greenery (even in February).

Service at the desk was consistently excellent. I asked for taxis, for the exact color of the paint in the breakfast room (a very nice yellow, we're buying a new-old house and I love yellow), even asking for a promised-in-our-deal bottle of sparkling wine, which hadn't been delivered, was met with a gracious apology and fixed immediately.

Would return to the Drisco, part of the Joie d'Vivre chain (and my first experience with this boutique hotel group) without qualification.

The only qualification I will offer is that good news, bad news bit about the location. The neighborhood is gorgeous. But it's a good five to seven blocks (easy) from anything commercial. If you walk over to Fillmore Street, to Pacific Heights and Cow Hollow shops and restaurants, wear comfy shoes cause you're going to experience the hills that made San Fran so famous. Even more challenging: the Marina District below. It's in interesting mountain slog (up and down) to Lombard Street and points below, like Chestnut Street's restaurants and shops (I used to live in the Marina so I was more inclined to head downward this way).

FYI, we had a great time at Curbside Two (again, a steep slog down toward Presidio), a fantastic small, provincial French bistro -- the weather was so crystal clear blue and warm weather crisp that I had my burger and fries (awesome) and glass of Syrah at a picnic table outside. It was a favorite off-beat place when I lived there and it was great to see it was the same. We had dinner at A16 on Chestnut Street in the Marina, which is currently a hot place; I was underwhelmed by this Italian bistro. We had a surprisingly romantic lunch at Emporio Rulli Gran Caffe, which reminded me more of the old fashioned kind of department store restaurants (in ambience, a bit…old fashioned). But the food was excellent and so was the wine. A big surprise on the "strip". Didn’t' get to Bistro Aix (it was closed on the nights we were there) but wished we had; the menu looked lovely.

Next trip. Will just make sure I get a real series of workouts in steep, hill-climbing scenarios.

And by the way: though we did have the pleasure of wandering the bay front around the Marina, we never did make it into the heart of San Francisco. Frankly, I felt like I'd found a heart where we were….

Stayed February 2008
4 Thank Carolyn S
Hotel-Drisco, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this review, March 4, 2008
Thank you for your most generous comments about your recent stay athe Hotel Drisco. I'm delighted to know that our team made a difference and participated in the success of your stay.
In reference to the wine we serve during our Wine Reception it is "Cedar Brook" Chardonnay form California.
Please come Back soon.