“Terrific boutique hôtel in quiet neighborhood.”
Review of Hotel Drisco

Hotel Drisco
Ranked #1 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 4, 2012

My young son, husband, and I stayed at the Hotel Drisco for two nights. The friendly and helpful staff were such a pleasure to encounter. Every time we passed the front desk, we were warmly greeted with a smile. The room was lovely, with lots of period charm plus modern amenities, such as an alarm radio with auxiliary input and multiple electrical plugs on the writing desk.

The breakfast buffet (included in the room rate) was abundant with many, many tasty options. The hotel is located on a hill atop Pacific Heights in a quiet neighborhood within walking distance of the Fillmore shops and restaurants. All in all, the Hotel Drisco felt like a home away from home.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Drisco

Reviewed February 29, 2012

I am very picky about hotels and I enjoy luxury hotels only. What matters to me most is cleanliness, comfort, and good service. Hard to find any of the above better than at Hotel Drisco. Crowd is a little bit older so definitely not a party hotel if that's what you are looking for. Perfect for couples who are taking a break from whatever and are just looking for a clean quite place to relax. Service is impeccable. No place to eat on site and in room dining options very limited. Need to take decent walk or drive for food unless you order delivery (also not many good options). Other than that there are no negatives. Close to golden gate bridge for quick trip to Napa too.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Nygiantschamps
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree with you that cleanliness is essential in any class of accommodation. Here at the Drisco our veteran team of room attendants has been with us collectively for over a century! They are a dedicated and loyal team and we appreciate them very much.

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

An interesting building with character in Pacific Heights. Its a bit of a pain to get to if you are walking or on public transport, but otherwise worthwhile for the views and for being in an area with characterful architecture. Breakfast was good and service excellent. The rooms were a little dated, and TV impossible to control, but no real complaints.

Room Tip: Go for the higher floors.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. However, I am concerned that your found your television difficult to use. Please feel free to contact me regarding this problem so we can learn more and find a solution.

Reviewed February 26, 2012

I stayed at the Drisco for 4 days on business trip. I hadn't been the hotel since I was a small child, and it is still recognizable as the neighborhood hotel it was decades ago.

The location is stunning- nestled in the splendor of Pacific Heights. While there aren't views of the bay or the city from most of the hotel, a wander one block and any direction offers great vistas. There is plenty to see and do within a 10-15 minute walk - Fillmore street with Jazz clubs, cafes and restaurants and the Marina in the other direction.

People who work at the hotel are lovely and helpful. In terms of the conveniences offered, wireless internet, all-day coffee, tea and snacks, wine and cheese in the evening and a very nice breakfast are all complementary. While the gym in the hotel is quite limited (treadmill, cross-trainer, some weights) there are complementary passes to a large nearby gym that I wish I had time to make use of.

I highly recommend the Drisco if the quiet and calm of a residential neighborhood is your style (or you're just curious to stay somewhere other than the environs of Union Square and the financial district).

2  Thank juana123
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Top quality location and staff, nice touches with included continental breakfast and pre dinner wine. Properly trained staff who clearly care about the impression they give ad have been working at Driso for a long time. My Queen room was a touch small but VERY comfortable bed that more thn compensated. overall very happy.

3  Thank StuartHLondon
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We recently stayed at Hotel Drisco in the Pacific Heights area of San Francisco. The hotel is an older hotel with a lot of class. Staff was excellent. Great location to walk to the Fillmore area shops and jazz clubs as well as to the Sacramento Street shops. Walking the hilly neighborhood was itself interesting as the hotel is surrounded by some amazing mansions. The Presidio area is also nearby.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Salegre
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I am writing this review from my wonderful room at Hotel Drisco. My husband and I are traveling in San Francisco for business and it is our last day/night at Drisco and I wanted to make sure I captured my experience here accurately. Upon our arrival four days ago, we were greeted by a very friendly staff that helped us bring all our luggage to our room and was incredibly helpful answering our questions. When I walked into the room, I was immediately impressed by the stunning view of the city and the simple yet quaint decor of the room. It was simply perfect - I couldn't have imagined a better room, nor a more fabulous location! But I have to say, what has impressed me so much about this hotel, day in and day out, is the attention to detail and the little touches they offer their guests, such as the complimentary breakfast, which is incredible, and the complimentary wine and cheese each night, the daily delicious cookies placed in the room and just a real friendly, wanting to please, staff. Oh and as a side note, coming from NYC, I was nervous the hotel location was going to be too quiet and that I would have trouble sleeping, luckily for me, they have an awesome sound machine that has helped put me to sleep every night! I have to travel downtown every day for work, and coming back here is like a breath of fresh air. I feel as if I have been a guest at someones home for the past week and I have been very very well looked after. I am actually a bit sad that we have to check out tomorrow morning, both my husband and I have on multiple occasions referred to our hotel room here as "home" which I hope is a wonderful compliment to the staff and the managers of this incredibly special place. I very much look forward to returning back to San Fran, as this will be the only hotel I would want to stay in!

Room Tip: I think the higher the room the better your view, although, I can't imagine any of the rooms bei...
2  Thank tleecouch
DriscoManager, General Manager at Hotel Drisco, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

I feel the same way about the Drisco! I just love coming to the hotel every day and working with my exceedingly friendly and accommodating staff to make sure everyone is comfortable and well looked after. I am so glad that we made you feel at home -- that is our goal.

Many of the "little touches" you mention have been added in the past year, and we have more little touches planned for 2012! Our philosophy of guest service is that you should not want for anything, and we try to provide what our guests need on a complimentary basis whenever possible. You mention the complimentary breakfast, wine reception, sleep machines and chocolate shortbread cookies that we provide every evening. In addition, we provide shoe shine service, newspapers delivered to your room, chauffeur service on weekday mornings, 24/hour coffee and tea in the Sitting Room, robes and slippers, fast WiFi, and so much more -- all at no charge.

Thank you again for staying with us, and we all look forward to your return!