“College Preview”

Ranked #153 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Sacramento, CA
“College Preview”
Reviewed March 27, 2010

My daughter and I stayed here when she went to preview SFSU. I have stayed numerous times in San Francisco, and this was one of the quietest rooms in which I've stayed. It is the perfect location to visit the SF zoo and the beach! The staff was friendly and they had underground, FREE parking...which is rare in San Francisco. The room was clean and comfortable.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Jandla

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed February 17, 2010

this is a nice, quiet, small, clean, and inexpensive place to stay while in san francisco. easy walk to the muni line (L-taraval if i'm not mistaken). across the street from the zoo. far from downtown if that's what you're looking for. we have stayed here a few times and look forward to many more visits.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pixieladies
california
Reviewed July 6, 2009

It was so foul we filled a complaint! the shower wouls not drain, trash was left around the room including an empty toilet paper roll, the remoate didn't work, there was a large burn on one of the bedspreads (non-smoking room) and a poor homeless man slept beneath out window.

The owner became cross and shouted when we told him of the problems. He then offered $40 dollars off if we'd sign a paper saying we were happy with our stay. The Days Inn 800 number will give you a run around. I've waited past the date they told me they would contact me to resolve the problems. When i called this morning, they offered me $66 because, in the exact words of the young man i spoke with, "I'd like to bury this case." No one is interested in inspecting the hotel and fixing the problems no paying guest should ever endure.

Days Inn is not a bargin. It's a freaking nightmare!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mbisme

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

minneapolis
Reviewed March 5, 2009

I am not sure what everyone else wants for less then $100 a night, but my husband and I thought it was much better then expected. The room is very clean, the staff was polite, the parking was free and plentiful. It isn't in the middle of town, but the #18 bus runs right outside. We took that to the train, and went to Chinatown, Fishermen's Wharf, etc.

I was willing to sleep in a $64 dollar a night hotel, but got a $150 dollar a night hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ann B
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed February 17, 2009

If you’re on a budget looking to stay in San Francisco, particularly in the Sunset District, I’d recommend this Days Inn. We paid about $169 for a king room for two nights without problem or incident over the Valentine’s weekend.

Things that we liked: 1) All rooms come with a refrigerator and microwave. That’s great when you’re on a budget because it allowed us to stock up at the nearby Safeway to avoid eating out too much. 2) The room and bathroom was clean. 3) Location is right across from the SF Zoo and 3 or 4 blocks away from the beach. 4) Lots of nearby restaurants when you do decide to go out. We walked down the street and had a wonderful breakfast at John’s Ocean Beach café. One night we ordered pizza from Pizza Noriega which was a short drive away. And for our last night we had Chinese at the wonderful Taipei Restaurant off Ocean Ave. Everything’s just a short drive away. 5) Free parking and WiFi. This is a big deal if you stay in SF because many hotels will charge anywhere from $20 to $40 a night just for parking.

Things we didn’t like: 1) The smell of cigarette smoke permeated the hallways, but we were relieved to not find the smell in our non-smoking room. 2) Parking, although free, was cramped, even though we were in a compact car. 3) The walls seem pretty thin as we could clearly hear the couple next door arguing with each other. 4) The heater/air conditioning unit was really loud.

Aside from that, I couldn’t really comment on the continental breakfast because we usually either dined out or had things in the fridge.

In conclusion, I wasn’t expecting anything fancy, but I also didn’t notice anything horrendous. I would definitely consider this hotel again if I were coming back to the Sunset District.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bubbicito
Corning, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2008

This place was convenient to my purpose (taking a language class at the nearby Irish Cultural Center) so it was fine. The place was fairly clean, except for a wet spot in the carpet when we checked in. I was able to check in early, which mostly involved dropping off my luggage at noon while I went to visit the zoo across the street with a friend. When I checked in, I was asked if I was paying or my friend was paying (we were both using the room), and I said it was half/half. He gave my card back. When we tried to get in the next day, it was locked - I had to go give my card again for the rest of the stay. He should have taken care of it when we checked in!

There were some strange folks hanging out about in front of the hotel the nights we were there, and one night they came inside - evidently they were guests as well (a group of young men, rather rowdy). However, it was quiet inside the room, no worries. I checked out quickly for my early morning flight. Continental breakfast was pre-wrapped danish and juice, tea. We passed and went to a GREAT breakfast place about two blocks down towards the beach with wonderful omelettes.

• Liked — It's location was perfect, one half block from our classes, two blocks from the beach
  • Disliked — It was worn down and a bit tatty, the staff a bit unprepared.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank GreenDragon9
los angeles
Reviewed September 11, 2008

I booked this room for my wife and son through Cheaptickets.com. I had stayed here in May and found the room acceptable and fairly clean. I booked for my wife a Non -smoking room and called a few days before to make sure it was on the books. My wife arrived (it's the only hotel near my son's college) and her credit card was swiped. She went to her room to find a smoke stenched smelling room. She went to the desk and explained she had a non - smoking ( with a copy of the reservation confirmation in hand) We had booked the hotel for 2 nights. The unhelpful and rude person at the desk explained that was all they had, to take it or leave it and no matter what would be charged for 1 night. A call to Cheaptickets was unhelpful ( it seemed to be an overseas call center) My wife left and found another hotel by the airport, with a helpful staff. I would advise you to look elsewhere for a hotel and to avoid this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — poor staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
SoMa
San Francisco Inn
San Francisco Inn
#139 of 228 in San Francisco
Rodeway Inn & Suites San Francis...
#160 of 228 in San Francisco
Marina District
Francisco Bay Inn
Francisco Bay Inn
#145 of 228 in San Francisco

Been to Mirage Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!