“Scam - Beware!”

Days Inn San Francisco - Lombard
Ranked #133 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed August 16, 2007

At checkin they refused to honor my confirmed reservation (via email), saying they were booked solid. I did not receive notification that it was bad before I got there. After looking the place over and seeing the street noise and quality of the building, I was relieved, even though put out at suddenly not having a room. They sent me down the street to an Econo-Inn that was worse, at a significant upcharge. Days Inn customer support put me on perpetual hold - I never got through.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed June 18, 2007

We chose the Days Inn, Lombard Street for several reasons.
Firstly we have stayed at Days Inn in different cities and it always seemed to be the best value for money (Cheap, clean, sometimes pool and full continental breakfast included)
Second, the situation on Lombard street seemed quite central
and third, the parking was free.

However, the rooms were slightly smaller and shabbier than on earlier occasions. There is no pool. The parking is free but very small and tight. The distance from the hotel to Fisherman's Wharf is actually very far. It can be walked but too far for us. There is no direct bus to the Wharf, so we took two busses.
(For the evening, there are a lot of restaurants at the Wharf that, if you eat there, you get 3 hours free parking right at the waterside (eg. Pier 39 parking lot) )
The breakfast was here only bearbites (pastries) and tea/coffee, nothing else.
The worst thing was the smell of Indian cooking all day long at the reception area. The management (doing the cooking) was not very professional. Tried to help us with a room change but ended up making quite a mix up, even giving us the wrong room key which gave us access to someone else's room where we could have stolen anything we wanted. And on the second morning, we wanted to make an early getaway but the reception and breakfast area didn't open until 8am although it was supposed to open at 7am. A sleepy receptionist (owner?) let us in saying that it was normal because they didn't open until 7:30am!
All in all, budget minded people will have an enjoyable stay here, but the mangagement should get a serious shaking up by "Days Inn"

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 15, 2007

I booked another motel on line for Christmas week. It was terrible, so I started looking around and found the Days Inn about 2 blocks away. They were so nice! Even arranged for me to check in at 11:00 AM after my one nights stay at the other place. The room was large, clean, and the staff went out of their way to be helpful. When I went next door at ask a question of one of the maids, I found her on her hands and knees vacuuming under the bed. That is going the extra mile! Manger explained the bus routes for me, drew me a map, and even gave me his cell number if I were to get lost. I WILL certainly go back there.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 16, 2006

The person I stayed with here has been staying here for a dozen years at least. It's perfect for coming up from the South Bay and dining around this amazing neighborhood for the weekend.

However, the ownership changed three months ago, and after our first night with the new people, we will never go back. They are rude, combative, and let the cleaning staff steal whatever is left behind. I went back for something and was actually told that there was nothing they could do if the cleaning staff had been by. Of course, my item was missing and the owner just shrugged.

Our toilet didn't flush, our door didn't lock, and our things were stolen. All of these things were our fault according to the management. They told us to come get a plunger, just shut the door tightly, and tough luck for leaving anything behind.

When we said we'd be writing a review on my site, he said go ahead. He didn't care that he'd lose loyal customers because, "We never lack business."

Read the entire review on[--]

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Mindimer
Reviewed October 13, 2006

The room was gross with alot of street noise, but its cheap and parking was free. Its also within walking distance to fishermen's wharf etc. so if you just need a place to crash its ok. The hallways are outdoors and are cat-walk like, so expect noise when others walk by.

• Stayed: September 2004, traveled with family
4  Thank SavvyTraveller008
Reviewed January 5, 2006

I never actually stayed at this hotel, but I must let others know about my unfortunate experience with this specific hotel for future reference. I made a reservation to stay at this hotel with my travel agency, AAA. I cancelled the reservation four days in advance and was given a cancellation #. While I was in SF on my trip (and staying in another hotel) this Days Inn held money on my account because they claimed that I did not cancel the reservation. This money (almost $80) was later taken out of my account by Days Inn. When I provided them with the cancellation number, they claimed I would have to wait until they could investigate it. I must add that the entire process of dealing with the hotel was awful. I dealt the a manager who was very rude named Jack. He told me this was not his problem, never once apologized for the inconvenience of erroneously taking money from me, and hung up on me. My husband had to call him back and talk to him because he was so rude to me. After numerous phone calls to corporate office, I was told I would have to make a claim. I was also informed that since this specific hotel was privately owned, corporate Days Inn couldn't really do much about it. I was then told I would have to wait 10 days to give them time to investigate it. Waited 10 days and was then informed that my travel agency was the guilty party and that they had made a double reservation, which is highly unlikely because I watched the agent make it. So, instead of just reimbursing me money that I was owed for a false charge made by them, they now want to place the blame on AAA. So now AAA is going to reimburse me the money because its easier than dealing with Days Inn. So this unprofessionally run Days Inn gets to keep my money that they wrongfully took from me and that rude manager never gets to learn from his error. No justice. Hopefully this awful experience is useful for someone someday!

Stayed: October 2005
5  Thank Disneyjunkie
Reviewed July 11, 2005

This is one of a number of inexpensive hotels/motels in the Marina District of San Francisco. The room I got had a strong mildew odor, could have been either the carpet or the shower area, I forget which. Otherwise the room was OK, not spectacular.

On the other hand, the neighborhood is very lively and safe. Lombard St. in this area is a major arterial street, mostly full of fast traffic, fast food and other cheap hotels. But you can walk two blocks north to Chestnut, or a few blocks south to Union and find yourself in a very nice shopping/restaurant area. Access to public transit (Muni and Golden Gate buses) is also very good.

• Stayed: September 1999