“Decent room, unfriendly service.”

Days Inn San Francisco - Lombard
Ranked #133 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I pre-paid via orbitz from the days of August 21-24th, 2012 and couldn't get a hold of service by calling beforehand. When I went to check-in there was no one at the front desk and I waited for twenty minutes constantly ringing the bell to see when someone would come to the front desk. Ended up checking in later that day, at 10p.m. because had classes and was staying while I awaited university housing. Also, since I was assigned on the 2nd day of my stay, when I asked for a refund for the last two days he automatically refused even when he knew full well that I didn't need the extra two days, even after I pleaded my case letting him know about the uni housing issue. Turns out it's a family operation with what appears to be a one-man op, literally, his family stays at the hotel, no problem so long as your around when people need you. The coffee maker was broken in my room and it seemed like no one stayed in it for a while since it was pretty dusty. Other than that, the shower and bathroom was newly renovated and the bed was huuge just for me. The marina district is a wonderful location, super safe and richy. The hotel was perfectly located only feet away from many restaurants and and directly behind one of the main shopping areas in Marina. Getting my own fridge, tv, and microwave was awesome. Also, the internet was great! Wasn't spotty at all. The "free" breakfast consisted of stale coffee and a pastry, but if you ask the guy for the pastry he'll get annoyed that you want it to begin with. Also, if the coffee runs out he'll get upset if you ask for more, even though it was clearly left over from the day before. The service, given that you could ONLY interact with one guy, the live-in owner, sucked. He definitely wasn't the friendliest person. I would not recommend this hotel unless you absolutely have no other choice given that the price is soo not worth the value when you rate the overall experience. I've stayed in better hostels all over the U.S. and in europe than this place.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We prepaid for our room on Expedia and called the motel before we came. They neglected to tell us they were remodeling and had no rooms available. When we got there, they tried to put us in a room four blocks down the street in a really creepy motel. The room didn't have a microwave or refridgerator. We had to find another room on our own. Still working on getting a refund.

Room Tip: don't trust them.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The bed are incredible!!!everything in the room is new and top quality.the service is amazing,also for staying in san francisco it was amazing to get free parking. breakfat was simple but sufficent.we will definitely go back!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank amber t
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Staff was often not available at front desk; no one would answer the phone; front door was often locked. When staff was available in the office, they didn't always come to the front desk. They would yell from around the corner of the wall instead of look you in the face.

When something was requested (like an extra blanket), it was not provided by the staff. We asked for more towels, the staff member just gave us the key and told us to go get it ourselves from the store room.

Hotel was under construction (July 2012 was when we stayed) and we were not warned when we made our reservations; furniture and trash littered the hotel courtyard and construction workers would linger after hours in the courtyard. Staff member told us that they wouldn't work on construction until 11AM to 7PM at night; however bright and early at 8AM the workers were pounding away on the room above us.

Hotel was supposed to service breakfast, the front office was always locked until 9am or later, only prepackaged danishes were served (no coffee or juice).

Overall, We had a very poor experience with the staff at this hotel and general appearance of the facility. We will never be staying here again and will not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: DON'T STAY here! Do yourself a favor and go just down the street to America's Best Value Inn...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pocahontas267
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed at this motel on July 22, 2012. We booked blindly through Expedia for a rate of $111 a night plus tax, which ended up being around 130.
They are currently undergoing "renovation" and the entire parking lot is full of mattresses, furniture, rugs and other random crap. They shouldn't be renting out rooms while they're doing this, because the place is a DUMP. Although, I'm pretty sure this place is a dump when not under construction as well. We were not notified ahead of time that they were doing construction.

We figured 2 stars, how bad can it be? We stay at motel6's all the time, and expected the same level from a chain like Days Inn.
The guy who checked us in was unprofessional and seemed excited we had pre-payed, ie: no refunds! It seemed like we were the only people staying there at the time. Creepy.

The room was a mess. It had not been renovated yet. The guy said that we had a "new door" which was the perk for our room. Let me tell you something about this "new door": there was no peephole, just a hole where it should be. Yes, a hole you could see through from the outside and put your finger through. Also, the deadbolt on the door didn't work; when bolted, you could see that it wasn't long enough to make it to the door jam.

The room was gross. I didn't want to touch anything. There were hairs on our pillow that were there when we arrived and were not ours. The towels did not look clean. The sheets had weird marks all over them. After reading all the other reviews about bedbugs, and seeing that they were replacing all the mattresses and beds, I would not be surprised if the place was infested. We didn't see any bedbugs, but we did see a flea in the bed.

The room was supposedly non-smoking, but it reeked of stale cigarettes.

If you booked this place as an "unpublished deal", do yourself a favor and eat the money and DON'T stay here. We stayed over night even with all these issues and got a horrible sleep. We were woken in the morning by the workers who were renovating the room above us.

They should not be renting these rooms out while doing renovations!!! They shouldn't be renting out these rooms, period. There is no value in this place, you are paying a premium because of location location location.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I booked this hotel on line based on the location, price, and the pictures. What we found when we arrived on the morning of July 16th was nowhere close to the photos on the website.
The hotel is being refurbished. The desk clerk said they had one room available but because it's very noisy, he could book us a room across the street at their other property (Piedmont Inn). He said it was very nice...that all the hotels there are very nice...and that he would make sure it was discounted because of the inconvenience. I asked if we could see a room first.
The Piedmont Inn scared the life out of me. I would say that seedy would be an improvement. We went back to the Days Inn and I asked the clerk if we could look at the one room that he had available. He let us look at it and all I could imagine doing was running...fast! The paint was peeling off the walls and ceiling, it was closet-sized, the bathroom had holes in the wall and the only thing missing were the cockroaches and bedbugs.
I told the clerk that there was no way I would stay there. He cancelled my reservation but not without warning me that I would never find a room for under $200. At this point, I would have slept on the street before I would have stayed at the Days Inn or the Piedmont, but we decided to go up the street to the Cow Hollow Motor Inn to check for vacancies. Luckily they had rooms (for less than I was going to pay at the Days Inn!), and the hotel is quite clean and nice.
I don't know if the pictures on the Lombard Street Days Inn website are what the rooms will look like after they refurbish them, but the website is extremely misleading. They shouldn't be taking reservations for that location but beware because they are. These other reviews aren't exaggerations. Imagine the worst room you could be stuck in and this would be it...or the Piedmont. Don't go there either. Ugh!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Days inn hotel is a well located hotel in San Francisco.
My room and bathroom were cleaned, a bit noisy, but not so far from Golden Gate Bridge and Pier 39.
Rates are OK for the location.
Breakfast is simple but quite good.
Free parking is also very convenient.
The manager was very nice and helpful...
Nice hotel for a short stay in SFO.

• Stayed: June 2012