“Quaint and delightful”

Cornell Hotel de France
Ranked #26 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week and loved it. The rooms are old but charming and the housekeeping is wonderful. The owners obviously love decorating, and contrary to other reviews I've read the staff couldn't be nicer. The elevator is so quaint. Each floor is decorated according to a famous artist. Breakfast is included.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank ChicChick_2
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Dear Chickchick_2

Thank you for your good comments about our hotel.
We are glad that you liked our old elevator.....when
we had to renovate it we insisted for keeping the old
cage. Do you know that now it is working with
a computer !
You seem to be a nice lady..for praising everybody
wherever you happen to go...

Best regards

Claude Lambert - Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,785)

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Great price, facilities, staff, and location. Now I see why this hotel is usually already full whenever we plan trips to San Francisco! My wife and I were welcomed warmly by the staff and the owner's beautiful golden retreiver. The breakfast is FREE, and it is a full breakfast. You usually have your choice of two entries. Parking is convenient (garage across the street) at a lower than expected 24-hour rate fror San Francisco ($30/24-hrs). You do have to drive your car to and from garage, and there is no regular bell service, so you should expect to unload and load your vehicle yourself. No pool or fitness center, but we don't come to San Francisco for those anyway. As others have mentioned, there was a floor fan on our room, but we didn't need it. We will DEFINATELY stay here again.

Room Tip: If you like to hear street noise at night (and we do), be sure to ask for a room that borders Bush.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in July during Semicon. When I first walked into the hotel I knew I would like. We had to check in early and the staff were very friendly and helpful and allowed us to store our luggage until later in the day. My room was clean, the bed was very comfortable and loved the old tub/shower. There was plenty of hot water. Although there wasn't air conditioning there was a standing fan available and I was able to leave the windows open and not worry about any loud traffic. I was on my own for one of the nights and there some good restaurants and diners close by. The dinning room was awesome! I loved the décor of the entire hotel! I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Nadine R
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Had a wonderful stay with the people of Cornell. I know many of my colleagues who were also visiting paid twice the price with none of the personal touch of the Cornell.
I wish I could recal the name of the young lady who helped us one evening, but I wouldn't want to seem to dicresdit any of the great staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for 3 nights at the end of June. We walked all over from the waterfront to Union Square! The staff is wonderful, especially the server at breakfast. No air- conditioning but we left our window open and there was a nice breeze (also staff left a portable fan in our room without us asking). Cable car stop on corner, diner and Walgreens around the corner. Old building but quite charming. Not a place for young children but perfect for us!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Madam,

Very pleased that you and your daughter enjoyed staying at our hotel.
You described very well the convenience of our ideal location in the
heart of San Francisco.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, june 30-july2. When we first saw our room we weren't sure if it would be good because it didn't have air conditioning. However, you really don't need it! We were in room 606 on the top floor. It was clean, comfortable and interesting, with the tray ceiling and old furniture and tub. Great water pressure for the shower too. The room had a flat screen tv, coffee maker and queen bed. No fridge or microwave. The elevator was the kind with the sliding glass doors with the metal cage. Very cool! Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was in the basement of the hotel and was equally cool. The server was always pleasant. The breakfast was good. They give you eggs any style with hash browns and bacon OR French toast. Those are your only options. That was fine. The French toast was delicious.
If you don't need a lot of amenities, or need a pool for kids, try this hotel. It's in a great location and a fair price. We would absolutely stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Pamela R,

Good to see that you liked our small hotel.
We have less than ten very hot days, yearly
in San Francisco and you noticed that air- conditioning
is practically not necessary.
We would be happy to welcome you again.

Best regards

Reviewed July 4, 2013

That is the feeling you get when staying at the Cornell. Everything is in reach. Most of the places you want to visit, good restaurants around, action. If you don't have a car and you don't want to rent one (expensive parking!), this hotel is half a block from the famous Cable car and buses that will take you anywhere in town. The closest BART station is just walking distance!

Our room was comfortable and quiet and I would add fun to get to in an old fashioned elevator! Breakfast is plentiful to get your day touring started. I actually had to ask to give me smaller portions. The whole thing is very affordable compared to other hotels in the city and my word for the staff is "cheerful".

At the end of the day, if you don't have energy to walk anywhere else, treat yourself to a fantastic dinner at their cozy restaurant. The full meal including a delicious dessert for $40!!

Room Tip: Room 602; not the most expensive; smaller but quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nino P
Claude L, Owner at Cornell Hotel de France, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Nino P

Thank you very much. for the good description of our hotel.
It is rewarding for us to have good sense customers who can
notice and appreciate realistically what we do, offer...while
keeping prices at a reasonnable level.

Our best regards