“Our Trip to San Francisco in 2012”

Cornell Hotel de France
Ranked #22 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Harrodsburg, Kentucky
“Our Trip to San Francisco in 2012”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Staying at Cornell Hotel de France on Bush Street in San Francisco added to the "charm" of our visit to this exciting city. The Cornell Hotel de France was decorated beautifully in oil paintings and even had oil pictures painted on the doors of each room and doorway. It was charming!!! Every floor featured the art work of a different French artist. Our room was big enough for two, cozy, and comfortable even with the antique bathtub which made the Hotel authenic and such a departure from the motels we usually stay in.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good. Very nearby is a theatre that I wish we had noticed sooner.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Adele G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bronxville, New York, United States
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Being that I researched and booked the hotel via surfing the net, I had trepidations of what the hotel would actually be like. I was delighted with the accommodations , staff, food, location and everything else that the hotel implies. I will return to San Francisco for an annual conference and plan on lodging at Cornell Hotel de France every time.

Room Tip: 6th floor that faced the street, quite and clean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Erin R
Sturgis, South Dakota, United States
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here at the end of August. It has a great location and the trolley is within only a few steps. The rooms are uniquely decorated and very cozy with a European flair. Breakfast is served in the lower level, was very good and the staff very friendly. We would highly recommend the Cornell~perfect location!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Vicki B
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We met friends in San Francisco and staying at the Cornell made the week so special. The paintings decorating every inch were charming and every staff member from the office to the wait staff became our friends for the week. We will recommend this place to everyone we know! The location was perfect.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank bobpamrodey
Slovenia
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here at the end of July. We were very satisfied, redarding everything...breakfast was very good, room was quiet and cosy on very busy street (you should be on top floor).
We were pleasantly surprise how close was everything; even downtown.
I would recommend this hotel to everybody travelling to San Francisco. I will stay here next time for sure.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MetaSlovenia
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at the Cornell for four nights in August. I found the service to be extremely friendly, and the breakfast was good, too. Much more than expected, actually, as it wasn't just continental. As an example of the great service, I can provide the following: for the first two nights a friend stayed with me whose flight was delayed. We went to the pizza place across the street to order, and was planning to drink one of the bottles of wine we had obtained from a place in Sonoma. When Claude, one of the owners, saw us, he offered us a table in the as-yet-unfinished cafe near reception. While he kindly refused when we offered him a glass, he stayed to chat with us for a bit, and remembered us the following day as well. The hotel also will arrange an airport shuttle for you, if needed.

My room was on the 4th floor, and the window faced a shaft open to the sky, so it was very quiet in the room while still being quite sunny during the day. The room was small, but the bed was very comfortable. If I were to stay there again with a boyfriend I'd probably get a larger room, because it was quite tight with the luggage of two people, even though we didn't have a lot. For the second two nights, when I was there on my own, the room was the perfect size. I'm only marking it down a little bit because the shower was pretty tight, even though I'm a pretty small person, the maids had missed a bit of dusting, and there was no cable TV. Aside from those pretty minor things I was very happy with the hotel.

The hotel itself is near Union Square, and also near Market St. It's also within a longish walk to the Marina. There are many bus lines close by, and of course the Muni Rail and BART on Market St. The California and Powell cable car lines are also nearby. There are also a lot of restaurant and cafe options. I will definitely stay here again the next time I'm in San Francisco and need a hotel room. I wish I could give this hotel a 4.5 star rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street, since they are very quiet. If you have two people, you should p...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank UrbanTeacher
Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here because it was the only hotel I could find that didn't cost over $200/night in the union square area and the only place that had consistenly good reviews on-line. I was very pleasantly suprised at how close this is to union square (literally 2 blocks on the historic Powell street cable car line at bush street). The staff was very friendly and my room was clean and quite. Bed and pillow were a bit hard for my liking so didn't sleep great. decor is a bit dated but that is what gives this place it's charm. If you are accustomed to staying in the big fancy hotels this may not be the place for you. It was a quaint Bed and breakfast style accomidation that in my opinion was a great find for the area and price point. Didn't try breakfast so can't comment on the free breakfast. It is also very easily walkable to the powell St. BART stop (took me ~10 min with luggage) however there is a pretty good hill (as there are everywhere in SF) on the way there. Wireless worked great too. The area is safe and clean and it is easily accessible by public transport so what's not to like! Would defenetly stay here again and wouldn't hessitate to recommend it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo