“Okay(ish) - but good to know before you stay”

Comfort Inn by the Bay
Ranked #104 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Clearfield, Utah
“Okay(ish) - but good to know before you stay”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Positives:
- Pricing for this hotel is better than most in the area. Fairly close to the west end of Fisherman's Wharf.
- Front Desk very willing to help keep a customer satisfied with the Comfort Inn brand.
- The hotel itself is a little older and not updated, but for the money, not too bad.

Negatives:
- Underground parking is nearly impossible for a large SUV (very tight turn radius). The airport only had a Yukon XLT, so I had to make due. A typical turn cannot be made to go down or get off the ramp. A 3 point turn becomes a 103 point turn. Not their fault, but good to know going into it. You can park outside if needed (I found that out after I parked).
- To qualify my next point, I am overly sensitive to cigarette smoke. I could sense the faint smell of smoke when I came into the lobby. When I got into my room, that became worse. Dizzy and nausious, I called the front desk who advised they had been a smoke-free facility for 3 years. They offered to give me another room, but I opted to cancel my reservation and go elsewhere, because I felt other rooms would probably have the same problem. If you are not opposed to the lingering smell of smoke, then you would be fine to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Brian S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Korean first
La Marina
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I are in San Francisco for a week. We chose the Comfort Inn because of the bridge views, but are really disappointed as you need binoculars! However the Inn is well located on the 47 bus route from Fishermans Wharf, where it crosses Lombard (the crookedest street). Breakfast is a bit sparse, and only one lift is working. But it is ok. I don't think we would choose to come back here, but if you have already booked, it is fine.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Johnfris
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed a couple of nights and the best thing about his hotel is the location. It is walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf, and it has great views of the bay and the Golden Gate Bridge.
The staff was pleasant and breakfast was very nice.
Our room was on the top(11th) floor, so it had the best view outside, but the view inside wasn't that great. Our room smelled really musty, which was probably caused by the huge dark water stain on the ceiling. It was not very attractive. The room was pretty clean, but the decor was outdated, and the sheets and bedspread had fabric pills all over them.
The breakfast area was clean and nice, with a great selection of food. They had 3 waffle makers, so we made our own waffles every morning. The worst thing about the breakfast area was the plates. They were almost completely grey from the utensil scratches. It wasn't very appealing.
There is a $26+tax, per day, charge to park your vehicle. We were aware of this charge, but it does add to the room rate, so be aware.
Since everything is expensive in San Francisco, and this hotel is reasonably priced, I guess we got what we paid for. It is in a great location, and fortunately we didn't spend a lot of time in our room. With a few simple changes, this hotel could be a lot better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank cnj98
Vallejo, California
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Did an overnight in the city and could have stayed here for a few days. Had a bayside room on the 10th floor with fantastic view - Golden Gate, Alcatraz and Treasure Island. Pretty to see the lights and night and watch the sailboats and ferries by day. Spent an extra hour before noon check-out time sipping coffee and taking in this view. Room was efficient, clean comfortable. Plush beds and quiet interior halls. In-room safe and free wifi. Basic cable, no HBO: but this is a world-class city where there are so many better things to do! Breakfast bar was well stocked and maintained until close - waffles and breakfast breads, eggs (scrambled & hard boiled), fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal. Staff were very courteous and did a great job. Close to Muni bus stops - #30 and #47 took us where we needed to go. Sandwich shop and a few little restaurants across street. Refrig in room was a bonus round.

Room Tip: Request bay side room above 7th floor to assure spectacular views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank swilrgirl
holland
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is nicely located near the Fishermans Wharf and the beginning of the street cable car. Especially when you have ply a short time to stay in SF. We walked down in about 10 minutes. After checking in we got a small room with one queen bed, on the even numbered side of the hotel. No view except for a blind wall. But I had asked for a room with 2 queen beds when I booked. So I went down to the reception at once. The receptionist made changes so we got the room, uneven number, we wanted, for the same price and with a view on the Bridge. This room was nice and spacious. The breakfast buffet was good. We had a pleasant stay in the hotel. Even though there were noises during the last night. Like some one was hammering little nails, doing maintenance/repairing?

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank julaHolland
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 20, 2013

The room smelled musty. The furniture was shabby. The heater was loud at night. We found on street parking and saved ourselves the hotel fee of $26 to park in their garage underground. We were on the second floor, so our view of the golden gate bridge was obscured by the trees, but you could see a small potion of it. The location is very good, and exactly where my family wanted to be. The price of the hotel was not bad for two rooms, but in the morning I found a bug in my room. I am not sure what kind of bug it was, but the manager assured me it was not a bed bug. The manager was professional and courteous, I'd give this hotel a two or a three if I didn't find that bug. Breakfast was so-so and very crowded, so go early. The glassware and china in the breakfast room have seen better days. The staff is friendly, but Id never stay here again because of that bug. I can deal with shabby furniture, poor quality bed sheets, but cleanliness is a must.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Elk555

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Newfoundland, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here in Nov/2012. Although the hotel is dated, it is clean and the staff is very friendly. Breakfast was good. Price was reasonable for the location (close to FW & downtown). Bus route just outside as well as the Hop on Hop off buses. This is a very busy hotel and everyone seemed to be enjoying their stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple