“Great location; good value; rooms need some work...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn by the Bay

Comfort Inn by the Bay
Ranked #107 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Houston
“Great location; good value; rooms need some work...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Great location for the price. We could walk to the Bay and Fishermans Wharf area (about 10-15 mins), the cable car start, bike rentals, etc...Parking was cramped as you would expect, but we parked in the small above ground lot with a huge SUV and actually had no problems. Breakfast was plenty good and hearty -- something for everyone, including the kids (self made waffles) -- but it gets a bit crazy with all the tourists filling up before the big day! The not so nice part would be how dated the rooms are. We were on the top floor (you do get a small view of the bay and bridge). Small shower and toilet room. Small sink is outside the shower room and in the bedroom part. Drapes and carpet were dingy with my wife not wanting to walk around barefooted (you know how carpets get a little yucky after a while). Still -- a great value, I thought --just set your expectations. (and keep in mind you are not going to spend time in your hotel room!).

Room Tip: Get the view side if you can -- otherwise you are looking at a building and roofs right outside your...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Texdelmundo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Korean first
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Within walking distance to Fishermans Wharf and also on bus routes to anywhere else you would want to visit in San Francisco. A very good complimentary breakfast is offered and the staff are very friendly. Would recommend.

1 Thank Bev G
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

The room was basic and smaller than some hotels I stayed in during our tour of the West coast. It did have all the bits such as coffee making and a safe, plus free Wi-fi although I could not get mine to work but others in our group had no problems. My biggest disappointment was pulling back the curtains and having a view of a solid brick wall less than 10 feet from the window. Everywhere were adverts to upgrade your room for a view but this did not seem worth it for two nights. Not too sure why called 'by the bay' for it is a good 20 to 30 minutes from central Fisherman's Wharf and the hill is steep on the way back. Well served by buses to get to central shopping, and Fisherman's Wharf, but these seem to disappear on a busy Friday night unless you know the system, forget Taxi's Friday nights as they are very busy. Complimentary breakfast included and this was a very good hot and cold buffet with good variety. Found Reception staff a little off handed. Believe my brick wall view tended to put me off this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room without a view of a brick wall as it will put you off the hotel.
1 Thank Cheltonian-65
New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

I just took my first trip to san fran and stayed for 3 nights in this hotel. It was great. Everyone was super friendly, the room was very clean, and it was a short walk to the wharf! I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and would recommend this to anyone that is visiting!

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom on the 10th floor. Awesome view!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ashley M
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in October.
The room was lovely, it was spotlessly clean, warm and comfortable. Our room even had a great view of the golden gate bridge. The bathroom was small compared to other hotels, but it was clean and had a very good shower.
Breakfast is included in the price and it was really nice. There were three selections of breakfast cereal, bread, muffins, youghurts, fruit, as well as warm omlettes and meat. There was also a make-your-own-waffle bar.
The hotel is within walking diatance of everything, though the area is very hilly! The staff at reception were really lovely and gave great advice about what to do, directions etc.
I would absolutely recommend this place and would stay here again if I go back to San Fransisco!

2 Thank ashtree88
Cornwall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, whilst on a coach trip. We found the beds very comfortable. The room, although not as big as some American hotels, had twin double beds & was warm. It had everything that was needed including in room safe, ironingboard & iron, hairdrier & coffee maker. Breakfast was included & had a good variety of everything. The only problem is that it is not as near to the Bay, as you would imagine by the name. It is on a hill so whilst it is easy to walk down to the Bay & wharf areas, there is rather steep hills to climb on the way up. Apparently, some of our group were told, by reception staff, that there is a bus that stops near to the hotel. Our tour director did not seem to have any information on the area & we were told that we had to walk. We should have asked at reception!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Flo413
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I've stayed in many hotels, luxury and otherwise. This hotel was definitely the bottom of the barrel and wouldn't hesitate to say that it was by far the worst property I've EVER stayed in. I'm in the hotel business so as I said, I've stayed in many hotels. The guest service agent was nice enough to me although I (as well as everyone else in the lobby) over heard her pretty much yelling at a guest over the phone...not my problem but noted it. Checked into our room with no issues, the room was small and the view was of the back of an apartment building. I found this funny because there was a sign in the elevator that said "if you are unhappy with your panoramic view of the bridge, please see our front desk immediately" I didn't bother as they had told me that the hotel was sold out for that weekend. Everything was well below, below average and could not believe they would even rent this room out. The wallpaper not only was peeling away from the side of the window, there was obvious water damage and the entire length of the wallpaper was coming off and just hanging there. A crack house would probably be in better condition. Next we moved the very small beds together because there was 3 of us the beds were a super single size and under the bed was an empty "medical marijuana" pack of cigarettes, some empty wrappers of sorts AND...and this is so gross to me...a used q-tip! I was so disgusted (we all were) I didn't want to use the sheets or walk on the floor without socks AND shoes! Definitely did not want to relax in there so was sure to fill our day with activities of drinking so we could just pass out and not really care when we got back in the evening. This place is disgusting and for $215/night they should be ashamed. I'd rather stay in dark, dingy alley way. They should be paying me to stay there!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends