“Great value for money”

Ranked #43 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Great value for money”
Reviewed October 17, 2005

We stayed at the Carlton Hotel twice this fall and both stays were more than enjoyable. The rooms are very tasteful as well as clean and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. When we returned to the hotel we got a room with a beautiful view in appreciation of our second booking. The only thing one has to bear in mind when plannig to stay at this hotel is that it is quite a noisy place. There is always some traffic on Sutter Street and the walls of the hotel rooms are pretty thin, too. Just bring some earplugs and you will absolutley love your stay!

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 16, 2005

For the price, you can't beat this hotel. The nicest staff of any place I've ever stayed. It may be 2 stars but they treat you like royalty. There's a good restaurant called Saha - very good food, a bit pricey but well worth it. The rooms are very clean, nice, new bathrooms. I didn't have a fridge in my room but upon just mentioning it to the concierge and immediately one was requested to be sent up. They go out of their way to be sure you're happy. The neighborhood is a bit iffy, but just a bit. If you walk one block north, you're in good shape for restaurants and shopping. It certainly wouldn't deter me from staying there again. And it's away from touristland. A short walk to Japantown.

Stayed October 2005
8 Thank ellaguru
Reviewed October 9, 2005

The Carlton is a great hotel. Excellent location and facilties, and very reasonably priced. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and upgraded us from a standard to deluxe room upon our check-in. Unfortunately we stayed only one night, but I'll certainly return on a future visit.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 6, 2005

The Hotel Carlton and it's staff are just wonderful. It is my favorite place to stay and think it is the only place to stay in San Francisco.

Stayed September 2005
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 4, 2005

The Carlton Hotel was perfect for our stay. We had a clean, very nicely decorated room with a view. The location is great for sight-seeing and getting around the city. We weren't able to try out the restaurant but the menu looked amazing. The staff was great! Their friendliness and attentiveness played a big part in making our stay a positive experience.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 3, 2005

I was in San Francisco for the first time on a business trip last month, and my husband joined me after a couple of days and we turned it into a mini vacation. I was a little worried about the Carlton's neighborhood after reading some of the other reviews but it is actually not bad at all! Maybe you wouldn't like it if you've never been in a city before, but it really didn't seem bad to me (my neighborhood where I live in Chicago is way worse).

This is a great little hotel. The decorations are thoughtful and funky, and not at all like chain hotels. The only drawback was no wireless internet throughout the hotel (but there was free wireless in the lobby). They do have high-speed internet on the top floor rooms - they upgraded me to one of them for free when I said I had to work while I was there! (At first they said it would be $10/ extra a night, and then they ended up giving it to me for free anyway.) The walls are very thin, as everyone else says in their reviews. I felt bad waking up at 5 to go to a meeting, because I knew my alarm probably woke my neighbors as well.

The lobby is very nice, with a fireplace, and the wine reception every evening is a nice touch. All of the staff were helpful and kind. The restaurant is also good - I had breakfast there one of the days. A great little cafe down the street is called "Cafe Espresso" - it's just like Paris.

If you walk to the left when you leave the hotel you can get to Japantown in about 10 minutes. If you go to the right you can get to Union Square, shopping, etc.

My one big caveat about San Francisco: DO NOT EAT AT DAVID'S DELICATESSEN! It is totally gross and smells bad and nothing like a real deli (I was hoping it would be like Katz's in New York). It is more like a really bad, dirty diner. The slowest service I have ever seen - we waited over an HOUR for eggs when we were there.. and we got them before the little girl who was sitting near us got her oatmeal -and she had already been waiting when we arrived. I asked the waiter if they were shortstaffed and he said "one of our cooks didn't show up today". No excuse for eggs and oatmeal taking an hour! My husband said maybe one of their chickens didn't show up, haha.

But yeah, Hotel Carlton was great! :)

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank ejdb
Reviewed October 3, 2005

Stayed at this hotel Sept 30-Oct 3 and found it to be a great value. Staff was very pleasant to work with and so accommodating. Mostly European clientele. Rooms are on the small side but neat, clean and stylish. Did not eat in the hotel restaurant, but I heard some good comments about it. There are several diners within a block or two where you can get a full breakfast for around $5 before touring the city.

We did not rent a car, no need to. (Parking is expensive in San Fran.) Mass transit is reliable and accessible throughout the city. If you are fit and don't mind the walking, all you need is a city map (hotel will provide) to find your way around. Taxis are plentiful and reasonably priced. I found that the locals are very friendly and willing to help someone find their way around the city.

A word to the wise about tour companies, call to confirm your reservation as soon as you arrive in town. (Our tour service forgot to pick us up at the hotel and we almost missed our tour.)

All in all, we had a great time at the Carlton and would recommend it to anyone.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member