“Josh left his heart in SF”

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #45 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, CA
“Josh left his heart in SF”
Reviewed August 17, 2005

I took my autistic son to San Francisco, for the first time as a teenager. We did the city tour, bay tour, dined at The Cheesecake Factory, tried the cable car and the bus/bart, walked endlessly at downtown and Chinatown. He enjoyed every minute of it! From the time we checked-in (we came early - 10:00 am - nevertheless, they checked us in!) until we left (the staff arranged for our transportation to the airport, which I forgot to do!). The staff, from front desk to housekeeping - are the best. We are Filipinos and I got just what I wanted!

I wish you could read my son's SF journal. He got an A for it!

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank LizfromLA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
glasgow
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Excellent hotel - had read the reviews before my recent trip and have to agree with the positive comments that have gone before. Wonderful staff, great room and enjoyed the restaurant.

Stayed August 2005
4 Thank kenny99
Reviewed August 1, 2005

Great hotel with wonderful, accomodating staff. Went there this past week and couldn't be happier. Had standard room with two double beds for three people which was a little tight but ok- especially at that price. Hotel was very clean and staff always willing to help. Great location, blocks from Union Square. Would definitely stay again!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 21, 2005

What a fabulous surprise to find this little treasure in such a convenient location. The staff were so efficient and friendly, the rooms were gorgeously decorated, clean and spacious and so affordable. The Saha dining room served yummy breakfasts and dinners, the wine provided in the evenings was a bonus after a long day of sightseeing. My husband and I didn't want to leave and we enjoyed every minute of our honeymoon here. Congrats to the hotel for a superb renovation and such well-trained, knowledgable and friendly staff. We couldn't have asked for a greater getaway.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 19, 2005

Stayed here in July 2005 and would have no problems recommending this hotel to anyone travelling to San Francisco. Lovely, clean rooms (2 separate stays) containing all one could possibly need - there is no air conditioning but we found that there was no need for it even during the summer. The staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. The manager's wine session in the evenings is something we have never come across before and is a good opportunity to meet other people holidaying in San Franciso. In the restaurant I had one of the best steaks I have ever had! Would stay here again no problem.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2005

Very pleasant place in San Francisco, nice room with details taken care of, different from the usual, quite good location and extremely kind people for a reasonable price. I do highly recommend the hotel.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 1, 2005

I normally stay over a night or two in San Francisco when I am in Silicon Valley on business, so it is on my own dollar and I seek out good value. I find San Francisco safe, and I can look after myself so my only constraint on location is that I like to be close to the Union Square area.
The Carlton is a nice hotel, friendly and comfortable. Also, I suspect that the Saha restaurant in the hotel could be very good; it had a nice ambience and breakfast was good.
The only negative is that parking is a hassle, but then again, that's San Francisco. the hotel parking lot closes at midnight - so beware. I street parked 3 blocks away at 3am and the car was there next morning so that was a plus :). Also note, and I don't think it should worry anyone, but there were some hookers hanging out neighbouring block (but not beside the hotel) at 3AM. It is only two or three blocks from Van Ness so overall I would say the location is good and safe.
I will be staying there again soon.

p.s. The friendlness which everyone commented on is something I found a bit forced, and I strongly suspect it is part of the training\induction\selection process for staff. But it is better than surly.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business