I spent Xmas week wandering up & down the hills of SF while staying at the delightful Hotel Carlton. The location was great; the hotel's not among the crowds of Union Square but close enough to walk there in about 10 or 15 minutes. There are lots of transportation options nearby, and many of the tourist attractions and shopping areas are within walking distance. Yes, the Tenderloin neighbourhood which can be a a bit dodgy to walk around by oneself especially at night is nearby, but it is easily avoided. The staff are warm and friendly and informative. You'd think they didn't spend their days repeating the same things over & over! If you're lucky, Theo will not only check you in but play some of his music for you later in the lobby while you enjoy a complimentary glass of wine! The lobby is actually a space where one could enjoy hanging out for awhile--the international/global decor permeates the hotel including the lovely restaurant that seems quite popular. The rooms are spacious, nicely decorated, well-equipped and very comfortable. This brings to my only complaint. Because the hotel is old (in fact it has quite an interesting history), the walls are thin. I could hear nearly every word of my neighbours' conversations. During the day or evenings this didn't bother me too much as I simply put on the TV or radio. Thankfully they were very quiet at night, so I kept the volume low on my TV so as not to disturb them. However, trying to sleep-in was impossible. Between their noise and the banging of the cleaning staff's carts going up & down the hallways and guests going in & out of their rooms, I could not sleep past 8 or 9 AM even with earplugs! So if you're a night owl like me, bring heavy duty ear plugs and don't expect to sleep much in the mornings. That being said, being up early meant I got to enjoy more of SF, so I'd stay here again and I do recommend this lovely hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco