“Three days in Frisco”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, Canada
“Three days in Frisco”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We spent three nights at the Hotel Carlton in November, 2013, having picked it based off the reviews on this site and the fact it was much cheaper than everything else nearby -- and still looked good. It did not disappoint. Staff were great, the rooms very clean and cozy. It's not right in the heart of the downtown core, but a short walk -- maybe 10 or 15 minutes. We had no problem getting around without a car.

It was a tad chilly some nights and I did notice there was no heater in our room, but it wasn't a big enough of a deal to really bother us. (For people staying here in the summer, I note there was an overhead fan in our room.)

I see some people saying it's in a sketchy area, and I wouldn't quite agree with that. Yes, there are some homeless folks in the area, but that could be said about any neighborhood. It didn't fee at all like a dangerous area. Staying at the Hotel Carlton was perfectly enjoyable and comfortable, and a great way to save money for other things on vacation. (Without feeling like you're staying in a budget hotel.)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
We're so happy to have hosted your recent visit to San Francisco, and we thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your stay with us. As you noted, our site offers a level of comfort, hospitality, and value that's impossible to beat in the region, and it's a pleasure to have been able to share these services with you. We hope for the opportunity to host you again and encourage you to reach out as you plan return travels to the city. Many thanks again for being a valued guest and for lending us the experience of your stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was a decent hotel, but I would probably not stay here again. The decor was charming and the location was good (close to Union square, but a bit of a sketchy area at night), and the staff were some of the best I have encountered at a hotel. However, I was extremely surprised to find out that there was no climate control in the rooms. They apparently only turn the heat on for a certain block of time during the day, although they did bring us an electric heater. That being said, I like the room cool at night, and opening the windows didn't do enough. Needless to say, I didn't have great sleeps.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kay M
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to share such thoughtful feedback of your visit, Kay. We certainly appreciate your preferences for climate control, and while we're happy to hear that our team worked to make your stay a comfortable one, we apologize that this still lent to a disrupted sleep for you. We'd love the opportunity to discuss any lingering concerns you might have and to help identify a more preferential room for you in visits to come, and we encourage you to reach out to our management team as you plan return visits to the area. Many thanks again for your time and review.
Manchester
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had a great 4 night stay in the Hotel Carlton recently. I have to say that the staff were friendly and effcient upon arrival and immedaitely invited us to join other guests for the free wine hour which seemed to happen every evening at 5.30pm. This was an opportunity to meet other guests and generally just enjoy the unique atmosphere of the hotel. One of the hotel staff played the keyboard and sang too which was added entertainment. The hotel rooms were clean, comfortable and well equipped. Our room was at the front of the buidling so did mean for some street noise which you'd expect in a busy city. The hotel was well located; a short walk from Union Square. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
We're so happy to have been able to welcome you to our property and to have been able to share the incomparable services of our site with you. As you noted, our complimentary wine hour is a truly unique experience, and it's a great way to settle in, to unwind, or to simply mingle with other travelers of Hotel Carlton. We hope to share more experiences like these with you in your travels ahead, and we encourage you to reach out with your future booking needs. Many thanks again for your time and kind words.
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Carlton during my stay in San Francisco for a conference. I've never stayed in a boutique-style hotel before and I was thoroughly impressed with this hotel. I booked a king bedroom with "a view of the city". The view wasn't that spectacular, but we got to look at some nice buildings. Initially, I wasn't sure about the noise level in the hotel because our room was literally behind the elevator core of the building. Luckily, most of the hotel visitors that week were older tourists that came home before 10:00 pm every night. I think next time I stay at this hotel (which I will most certainly do next time I'm in SF), I will be asking for a room away from the elevator. The staff was great and they always said "hello" or "enjoy your day" when you came in or left the hotel for the day. The only gripe I had was that the wifi connection was finicky and very sloooooow, I was only attempting to check my e-mail or check into my flight. Luckily, there are a ton of cafes on Sutter Street with complementary (faster) wifi connections. Overall, this is a great hotel to stay at when you're in SF and want to be close to Union Square, but still close to public transportation to the rest of the city.

Green Features: I love the filtered water machines located at several levels in the hotel. Just fill up your water bottle for the day and go sight seeing or to a meeting.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

It's such a pleasure to have been able to introduce you to the outgoing services of Hotel Carlton, and we're happy to hear that our team and property left such a favorable impression on your San Francisco stay. With that, we appreciate your feedback regarding Wifi functionality, and we certainly explore this on your behalf to improve any shortcomings in this service. We'd love the opportunity to share even more of our hospitality with you, and we encourage you to reach out as you plan return travels to the region. Thanks again for your time and review!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Hotel Carlton and it was a great experience. A very charming boutique-style hotel - granted more shabby chic than chic. The staff was very friendly and helpful - they didn't have the right type of room for me at first but were able to remedy it quickly. The room was large, big closet, good-sized bedroom. Yes, there was some street noise and I was right near the elevator, which was also loud, but I had no problems sleeping.

The location is great - just an easy 10 minute walk to Union Square and along the way are tons of shops, restaurants, bars and art galleries.

Green Features: I was glad to see the 'green' aspects of this property - including recycle bins in the guest rooms and even a compost bin at the front desk!
Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
We're thrilled to have been able to share our historic property with you, and we thank you for being a guest of Hotel Carlton. We apologize for any initial mix-up with your accommodations, but we're happy to hear that the team quickly remedied this and was able to showcase the unparalleled guest services for which we're renown. We'd love to host you again, and we encourage you to reach out the next time you're in the San Francisco area. Many thanks again for your time and review!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

A friend suggested this boutique chain on my recent trip to SF. I found the staff very helpful. The decor of the rooms very hip yet comfortable. The 530 pm wine while showcasing 'Snazz' was amazing....this is a place I'll be back to again & again...but next time will book a room further away from the housekeeping area on my floor....a bit too much noise.....

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
We're so happy to have been able to share our services with you, and we're thrilled to hear that the experience of your visit left such a memorable impression on you. We'd certainly love to host you again and to showcase even more of our property and services--including the always enjoyable wine hour--and we hope that you'll reach out to us again soon. Many thanks for being our guest and for taking the time to share your voice.
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 13, 2013

It is nearly impossible to get a good night's sleep at this hotel. The rooms are not properly soundproofed. I heard every word of a conversation in the next room. I heard fire trucks, garbage trucks, the elevator ding, just everything a person could hear from both inside and outside the building.

The front desk clerk changed me to a much better room the second night -- one of their best apparently -- but it did not help much.

Unless you are deaf or don't like to sleep, don't stay here.

Also, the rooms have no thermostats (it's one control for the whole building), and they keep them rather chilly.

Bonus point: it took over 10 minutes to check in even though there were only two people ahead of me, because the front desk clerk was just that slow.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the building (busy street) and lower floors (street noise).