We spent three nights at the Hotel Carlton in November, 2013, having picked it based off the reviews on this site and the fact it was much cheaper than everything else nearby -- and still looked good. It did not disappoint. Staff were great, the rooms very clean and cozy. It's not right in the heart of the downtown core, but a short walk -- maybe 10 or 15 minutes. We had no problem getting around without a car.
It was a tad chilly some nights and I did notice there was no heater in our room, but it wasn't a big enough of a deal to really bother us. (For people staying here in the summer, I note there was an overhead fan in our room.)
I see some people saying it's in a sketchy area, and I wouldn't quite agree with that. Yes, there are some homeless folks in the area, but that could be said about any neighborhood. It didn't fee at all like a dangerous area. Staying at the Hotel Carlton was perfectly enjoyable and comfortable, and a great way to save money for other things on vacation. (Without feeling like you're staying in a budget hotel.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco