“Value for money, comfortable and friendly”

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #43 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Melbourne, Australia
“Value for money, comfortable and friendly”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last week for 6 nights. We really can't give a bad review as we enjoyed our stay; the bed was so comfy, room had character and the price was very affordable for central SF. The only slight negatives would be that the walls are a little thin and the area is just a bit further out of the CBD than expected, but these are just little compromises for good value, good service and a pleasant stay.

2 Thank Sophie L
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay. We appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again upon your next visit to San Francisco, and we look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This place is really cute and doesn't break the bank. The rooms are simple but nicely decorated, and I felt very at home. The front desk was very polite and helpful, and the free wine in the afternoon was a nice touch. :) Valet parking is around $30, I think, so not cheap but definitely not as bad as some other places. The location isn't quite as great as it could be, but it's close enough to everywhere I like to go that it isn't an issue for me. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bonnie_521
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for an outstanding review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your next visit, and truly appreciate your loyalty. We hope to see you again soon!
Gadsden, Alabama
Reviewed March 26, 2013

GREAT experience from the moment I walked in until I checked out. First the entire staff was GREAT!!! This might not seem important to some but it was to me, because this was my first time in this wonderful city. Everyone from the front desk to the cleaning staff were very friendly and spoke everytime they saw me, "good morning", etc. The whole experience of SF was new to me & they made me feel like this was home, like I was part of the family. Getting that sort of vibe is very unusual, if non-existant. So now I consider them part of MY family. I will be back to SF as soon as I can, I hope in the fall. The booking process will be VERY EASY at that time. I will stay nowhere else but Hotel Carlton at any time that I return to SF.
Also the entire hotel was decorated very nice and in good taste. Everything from the lobby, elevators, hallways and my room was VERY VERY CLEAN. Very Impressed!!!
Finally the front desk staff were very willing to help with tours, transportation, etc.
When I go back I want to speak with the General Manager and congratulate them on a job VERY well done!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Wade G
Thank you for an excellent review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again at the Saha Restaurant, and we look forward to your return!
Chicago
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I usually don't write reviews, but this hotel was a really BAD experience for us. I read a lot of reviews about this place and they were nice, so I decided to give it a try. Not the best neighborhood (to say the least, if you try to walk around the area on after-sunset hours) - no way to live there, no A/C, room was kinda clean but so smelling sooooo badly, very thin walls you can hear everything, I couldn't even fall asleep, because of elevator's noise and outside sounds(and I usually sleep like a champ at my place, where we face a really busy road)... We had to leave the hotel and find another place to stay. I wouldn't advise anyone to stay there.. The only one good thing - really friendly staff. Check the other places unless you're looking for an adventure of this kind.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We would love to hear more about your experience! Please contact the Hotel Management so we may investigate further. We hope that you'll give us another chance, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husand and i have just had an amazing time in San Francisco, there is so much to see and explore. The Carlton was fabulous, ideally situated just a short walk from union square - shops, cafes and where the trams start and take you to fishermans wharf. The hotel itself was a delight, unique, friendly, welcoming - a pleasure to return to each evening after our sightseeing days out. We are definately returning.

1 Thank Caroline A
Thank you for a terrific review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The place where my husband wanted to celebrate his birthday, San Francisco. And the hotel, the Carlton. We hadn't been there in several years, but amazing Emilie and other desk staff remembered us when we checked in. We enjoyed complimentary bottle of wine, chocolates and a signed card for the birthday week. They handled every question or arrangement easily with good advice about renting cars, catching buses, etc.The restaurant Saha has lovely food and wine list. We enjoyed dinner twice because it was so good and waitstaff so welcoming. This JdV property suits our style; we recommend it because the staff combines professionalism and charm.

3 Thank JoyceP823
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review! We are pleased to hear how much you and your husband enjoyed your stay. Emelie is truly an asset to our team, and we will surely praise her for your comments. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My son picked this hotel for me because of its location near his girlfriend's apartment. He booked it, and it turned out to be a great find. First, the price was good. But more importantly, the staff at the front desk was great - friendly, welcoming, and very funny. I was in room 205, which faced the back of the hotel. While the view wasn't great, it was nice and quiet, with no street noise. The room was plenty big, the TV worked well, the bed was comfy, and the closet was huge. I would have liked a bit more 'storage' space in the bathroom, but that's no big deal. I will stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for a great review! We are elated to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you had a great time visiting your son, and we look forward to your return. Please join us again next time for a bite at the Saha Restaurant. We would love to see you!