“Incredible value”

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #44 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 5, 2013

From the minute we walked into the Carlton, we felt welcomed and amused. The staff was all extremely accommodating, very friendly, and funny too. Our room was spacious and comfortable. We only had breakfast at Saha restaurant, but wouldn't hesitate to eat there even if we weren't staying at the hotel. Yemini breakfast! Yum! The location is good for access to the rest of the city. And don't even think about missing the happy hour. For the price, you can't do any better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tina D
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for a terrific review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. The Saha Restaurant is certainly a treat, and thank you for mentioning how much you liked it! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Reviewed March 4, 2013

From the moment we walked in until the moment we left, we felt cared for and watched after. The staff at the Carlton went out of their way to make us comfortable. We had just flown in from Asia and were exhausted. We dropped the bags and went to lunch, knowing we couldn't check in until the afternoon. When we returned, our bags were ready to go to our room and it was waiting for us. We made odd calls in the middle of the night (different time zones) and used the lobby for quiet work sessions but that was no problem. We had run of the house with all the services at our disposal. The restaurant is quite a find, as well. I have been eating at that restaurant for so long I can't remember when I first went. But I have always been thrilled with the food at Saha prepared by the chef's able hands. If you need a good place to hang your hat when you are really busy with business, and you want to be centrally located without paying the crazy prices or being stuck in the noise downtown, the Carlton is the choice. I was right on the bus lines to go visit family around the city and within walking distance to some really excellent food choices. I usually don't mind hotels much, I spend most of my time outside looking around, but this was a trip "home" and I wanted to be somewhere comfortable with people who were paying attention and could answer questions and help with business needs. I got that.

Room Tip: The east side faces a playground of sorts. It is only used after school for a few short hours, but i...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Stevenredd

Thank you for a terrific review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback, and we love to hear that we became your home-away-from-home. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Excellent customer service. We arrived early in the morning and our room was ready for us. Later that evening we enjoyed the free wine reception with SNAZZ. Upon returning to our room for the night we opened the window for fresh air and the window fell out into the room. A staff was in our room within minutes to repair. When the repair couldn't be resolved we were put in a room close by, offered a free bottle of wine and breakfast the next morning. Staff were pleasant, funny, and prompt. Thank you Hotel Carlton.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank rachelwhitney
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you for a wonderful review! We are elated to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. We apologize for any inconveniences you encountered, and are pleased that we could assist you in a timely manner. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have to come down on the "disappointing" side of things. Several years ago I stayed at the Hotel Vitale in San Francisco, which is owned by the same chain. They were filled up, but directed me to their "sister" property. Poor cousin is more like it! I was disappointed when I got there, but reasoned it was not entirely fair to measure Carlton against Vitale (which is more expensive). I've stayed at any number of budget hotels, and don't really have a problem with less expensive options. So I utlimately checked in with an open mind.

But three things convinced me that Carlton simply does not measure up against any decent-to-upscale hotel. First, the room was extremely cold. The rooms do not have their own temperature controls, and when I asked at the front desk, I was assured they would bring a heater up. Never arrived. Strike one. Second, when I went to give my keys to the valet, I was told it would take them 45 minutes to bring the car around. "I said really??? That's ridiculous!" They said yes, that's how long it takes. So I voted with my $$$ and parked at a public lot down the street. Strike two. Strike three was the mildew in the bathroom. I mean, the rooms weren't disgusting, but it was hardly conducive to the nice boutique feel I was looking for. Everything was just drab and dated.

There was also the very small elevators, which were fine, if dated; and the weird Eurotrash music (loud!) playing during happy hour in the common area. Didn't really phase me, but didn't make me want to come back any time soon, either. Sorry guys! Everyone was perfectly nice; but the property is in real need of either updating or a serious price drop.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank greenie20902

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize if we were not able to live up to your expectations. The Hotel Vitale is certainly spectacular, and we are honored to be a part of a great company like Joie de Vivre Hotels. We hope that you'll give us another chance, our service is truly what we pride ourselves on. We look forward to your return, and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Great friendly service, I especially enjoyed the 5:30 happy hour. The staff were very knowledgeable about the area, tourist attractions, restaurants etc. This hotel is well priced and the rooms are clean and comfortable. I highly recommend this hotel and I would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank kiwi26traveller

Thank you for a great review! We are pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our nightly wine reception is certainly a treat! Give the Saha Restaurant a try next time. We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return to the Hotel Carlton!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

This was one of the few hotels available in our price range on our desired dates. We were pleasantly surprised in every way. The desk clerks are friendly, and one is positively hilarious. The valet parking was easy, with in and out privileges. The lobby is pleasant and low-key, with complimentary wine at 5:30. Our room was very quiet, on the side of the building. The size was modest but we were very comfortable with the decor, bed, flatscreen TV, lighting, etc. We didn't eat at the hotel because we were meeting others, but the Middle Eastern menu looked intriguing. The staff readily agreed to store our luggage from checkout until evening, and when we arrived to collect the luggage and the car, we were brought wine even though it was after Happy Hour. We felt the staff went the extra mile to make our stay a pleasant one.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dmsdms
Hotel M, Manager at Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you for a wonderful review! We love to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our restaurant Saha is certainly a treat just as you mentioned! We hope that you'll join us again soon, and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The front staff was brilliant and extremely helpful . Made you feel at home. Wha most boutique hotels strive for! The rooms are a bi tired and the walls paper thin. Benin ear plugs if you are a sensitive sleeper like me. Comfy bed. Room was a bit dusty, and they really need to provide a decent cup of coffee either in your room of in the lobby.. Good location, 20 min walk to Moscone.

Will stay again mainly because of the wonderful Philippino staff in front, " SALAMAT PO"
( no, I was no paid to say this, they were very friendly and helpful.)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for a great review! We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to provide your comments and feedback. Thank you for pointing out how convenient our location is! We hope that you'll join us again soon!