I stayed at and reviewed this hotel back in 2006 when I was last at this hotel. At the time I gave it 5 stars. Unfortunately for the Hotel Carlton it seems that times have changed. A once lovely and well maintained hotel has been left to crumble. Walking into the foyer was the same as last time, and as many other reviewers have noted the staff are very friendly. One of the staff, Edgar had a humor that was not to my taste and said a few things to me that were borderline offensive. It however did not detract from the front desk staff being very accommodating and helpful all of the time I was there.
The 2 lifts are very slow, particularly noticeable at busy times as they are also quite compact.
I had a room on the 5th floor and was told I had a view. I however could not work out what view I supposedly had other than the adjacent building's roof. What I did have that was unexpected was noise. A lot of it. There was street noise, neighboring guest noise (hearing a guest in the next room urinating is quite unpleasant, sorry gross I know but this is true) and a lot of hallway noise.
I also had two other guests come into my room on separate occasions when the front desk accidentally checked them into the same room as myself. Fortunately I had the chain on the door each time but it was still a bit awkward. I also had two instances over three days where my access card did not work in the room door. This was a nuisance to go in the slow lift to the lobby to explain the situation each time.
There was also a sniffer dog that came into the rooms on at least one day that I was there, apparently he was sniffing for drugs. Makes me wonder what kind of hotel this is!
Other than the noise and lack of air conditioning (there isn't any, just a ceiling fan) my biggest issue relates to the bathroom. There is a lack of space in the bathroom, there is no shelf to put your stuff on so all of my stuff had to go on the toilet cistern. Yuck.
The bathroom was also unclean. There was mould on the lamps above the mirror (likely as there is no ventilation) and the bath was FILTHY. I know the general manager reads these reviews so I will be attaching a photo of the bath with filth clearly visible. Hopefully she will address these issues.
The lovely smelling bath products of 2006 are gone and replaced by a dispenser in the shower. So impersonal and reminded me of the dispenser from a public restroom. An unexpected and unpleasant change.
The bathroom also had patches all over the wall and mould in between the wall tiles. The mirror above the basin had 3 lamps above it with lampshades covered in mould. Not a good look at all, extremely unhygienic and this urgently needs attention.
This hotel used to be a beautiful and great value hotel. Now it is a very sad shadow of its former self. This was such a disappointing experience. If it wasn't for the staff being as engaging and warm as they are, this property would be a 2 star property.
I sincerely hope the manager addresses these issues and brings this once lovely hotel back to its former glory.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The historic Hotel Carlton offers an international ambiance paired with outstanding guest service. Built in 1927, this nine-story San Francisco hotel is 3 blocks from the California Street cable car line, 6 blocks from Union Square, 8 blocks from the main entrance to Chinatown and 9 blocks from Civic Center. Complimentary evening wine receptions are held in Hotel Carlton's lobby nightly and feature live music from local artists. In addition, Hotel Carlton provides complimentary wireless internet to all guests; upgraded bandwidth is also available (surcharge applies). Recently renovated, all 161 non-smoking guestrooms at Hotel Carlton feature remodeled bathrooms including decorative floor and wall tiling, new vanities and sinks. The public spaces showcase cross-cultural design that incorporates treasures from Africa, India, Nepal, Laos and Asia. Our restaurant Saha features award-winning Arabic Fusion cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Jetsetter and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlton Hotel San Francisco
- Hotel Carlton San Francisco