“Theo was awesome!”

Hotel Carlton, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Ranked #44 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The staff are great in particular we loved Theo on reception. Not only was he great at his job he is also a master bontempi keyboard player which came into full effect at free wine hour each day. The location is good for union sq and public transport. The rooms are small and average. The breakfast s poor quality and a little expensive but there are lots of great cafes / coffee shops nearby for a good value breakfast. Would recommend and would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank NicholaBriody
Write a ReviewReviews (3,023)

Reviewed October 8, 2011

We stayed here after arriving in san francisco after leaving vegas. Now you can imagine, after leaving the hotels in vegas that are all so massive then going to such a small homely hotel it was different. But every credit to them here, the hotel is so warm and friendly. The rooms are spotlessly clean and i mean spotless (well ours was). The staff can not do enough for you, they were so helpful and friendly, so nice. I would stay here again for sure. They offer the hotel guests to join tehm for wine before dinner, which is a lovelt touch.

We walked a couple of blocks towards union square and jumped on the tram straight down the hill to fishermans wharf.
We walked to union square it is that close.

Go to teh alcatraz prison, but i cant say enough book months in advance from home as its so busy!! we did teh nigth tour, its a brilliant tour.

We did the city tour on the double decker bus, do not do this is was rubbish. It takes you to Lombard street (you can see this on the tram on way to fishermans wharf,) and the other places we had not much interest in, infact we thought about running away a couple of times!!hahaha!! they take you to places and then your hanging around waiting for people to get back on the bus. If you decide to do a city tour check with different operators, as we picked a not so good one, but cant remember who is was, check where they stop etc. because we didnt really and was dissapointed. we should of read the itinery better before paying.

Go to fishermans wharf and see all the sea lions at night on the bay, so cute.

Excellent stay!!

Room Tip: I think we had a superior room.
3  Thank holidays24England
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We have eaten at the resident Saha Restaurant several times (lots of great vegan options) and this trip decided to try the hotel. We have enjoyed the wine reception before while waiting for our table in the restaurant, and this time we were legit guests! Staff extremely friendly and not trying to ferret out who is legit or not and that makes for a generous spirit in the place. Nice lobby with fireplace and couches. Our room was large for SF, very clean and NO SAGGY BED. We slept great. We could clearly hear the guests talking in the next room and assume they could hear us. But we all went to sleep at the same time so no trouble there. One special touch is the water dispenser on each floor. I am picky about water and we believe this was reverse osmosis machine with both boiling and cold water. No need to shlep bottles of water to your room. This is a big thing to me. No street noise in our room 517. Extra blankets in the closet (we don't like pouffy comforters). I like the dispensers in the bath - seems less wasteful of resources to me. Coffee makes in room but I walked 5 blocks where there was local place Quetzal, Peet's or Starbucks. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Robertalynnj
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We found the friendliness of the staff to be this hotel's best point. The rooms were fine, but nothing special. As most people have said, the wine tasting in the lobby every afternoon was a nice idea, but as it was only on for half an hour, you had to be quick or you missed it! The location however was awful and at times we felt quite threatened, even during the daytime. We thought Fisherman's Wharf was one of the nicest parts of San Francisco, and if we ever visited again, this is the area we would want to stay.
The highlights of our trip were the Alcatraz Tour, spending the afternoon in Sausalito, and eating Clam Chowder and Sourdough bread at Fisherman's Wharf! (The city sightseeing tour bus will drop you off at Sausalito and you can just pick up another bus when you want to go back.)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Janet2158
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I've booked this hotel because of a price offer, so the value for me was good.
Overall: acceptable
The hotel staff were really helpful and friendly and I think they are doing an excellent job creating a home-like atmosphere in the hotel. I also liked the eco-friendly touches like filtered water, recycled paper cups and organic food in the Saha restaurant.
The lobby is kind of nice and cozy but the rooms are really tired. They are a bit smelly, with old wallpaper and floor carpets, old TV and even holes in the linen. I was lucky I had decent looking bathroom and I also liked the nice organic toileteries.
I would greatly welcome the idea of renovating this hotel, the building is great and I would even preserve some furniture but definitely change the wallpaper and carpets and do something about the noise insulation (I could hear my neighbours very well).
If you are going to stay in the hotel be also prepared to walk a lot and wait a lot for the public transport to explore the city or get to your destination in the city centre.

Room Tip: Judging by previous reviews the hotel has rooms with bathrooms in different conditions. Mine was dec...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank MoscowFir
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Very friendly hotel. The restaurant (Saha) is worth a mention as the food is outstanding - Middle Eastern food. The only downside is the room had a bath which needed a bleaching but overall the room was well equiped and cozy. Also, the daily wine tasting was a good touch.

Room Tip: Choose a de-luxe room as it has a flat screen tv
2  Thank simong858
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in September 2011 at the Carlton Hotel in San Francisco. It was ok.
The hotel is not in the most salubrious area and we were not used to all the people sleeping on the streets. It is though very central and it’s easy to walk everywhere from the hotel. We were also very kindly advised by the reception which area not to venture into.
The reception area is nice enough and some of the staff were friendly and helpful. The wine reception is a nice touch.
Our room was standard and basic. Nothing really to write home about. I don’t really like hotels who have shampoo/soap dispensers instead of little bottles in the bathroom though. It doesn’t have that nice feel to it. It has a very budget hotel feel to it. But… I don’t know if it was just the bottle they filled my shower gel with that week but the zesty smell of the shower gel was really lovely!!
The restaurant though in the evening was really good! If you like Arabic Fusion food you must try the restaurant. The waitresses were really friendly. We asked for wine advise. We are a bit particular about the wine and the waitress was so confident that she had advised the wine taste we wanted that she opened a bottle for us to try. And she was right! Even if you chose not to stay in the hotel – you must pop in to try the restaurant.
We had breakfast one morning. Nothing special. I would probably advise as it’s not included to pop down the road. There are loads of coffee/internet cafes selling really good breakfast Panini’s and muffins.
This was the first time we visited San Francisco and the only image I had before coming was of the police series “ The streets of San Francisco” (70’s/80’s?). After leaving it I’m afraid my image of it hasn’t really changed. It’s not my favourite city. Although we loved the Victorian houses, we hated Fisherman’s Wharf which has nothing more authentic about it and we found China town and many of the other areas rather grotty.
Would I advise someone to stay at the Carlton Hotel. Yes but don’t expect too much. It’s basic even if they try to snaz is up with the wine hour.