All reviews tenderloin eddy st union square bart station cable car never felt unsafe market street friendly hotel late at night few minutes walk free coffee an older hotel light sleeper public transportation downtown sf quiet room fisherman's wharf
Reviewed September 3, 2018

Brittany was excellent! She was really helpful! She was able to move me to a renovated room away from the noisy street - she really solved my problem A+++. The renovated rooms are nice on the inside - I can recommend, though most rooms only have Queen size bed. The street corner here is very noisy all night long - lots of car noise, sirens, and homeless people in the streets. I would look for a quieter room before I would stay here again. Otherwise, the interior is nice and Brittany was great!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noisy streets on the corner - there are only a couple of rooms away from the noise.
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TAFTAFTAFTAF
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2018

Dear guest it is great to know that Brittany provided outstanding service, thank you for the feedback. Yes, the hotel recently did renovated some rooms, we are glad to know that you enjoyed them. The hotel does have some rooms that face the inside part of the hotel providing a quieter experience. Thank you for having stayed.

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

The room was perfect - small and compact but had everything you needed including mini shampoo and conditioner etc. Main areas of San Fran were in walking distance which is ideal.

Only 2 downsides - as 2 girls travelling it did feel a little unsafe in the night, a lot of homeless people, who were rowdy outside and on the surrounding streets, wouldn’t have wanted to have been alone late at night. Secondly, the daytime lady on the front desk could not have been less interested or worked any slower if she tried.

On the whole, good for a couple of nights for exploring San Fran.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Dear Guest, thank you for having stayed with us, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in SF and our recently renovated room. I can understand that the area can make some feel uneasy, however the street people just hang out as part of their daily routine. I am sorry to hear if one of of the staff members did not meet the hotel standards to not only interact with guests, but to make our guest feel at home. We appreicated the feed back so that that we can cotinue to strive for improvement.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

The hotel on the inside was nice, the staff was nice, but the location is AWFUL. Got out of my car only to smell a strong smell of pee, saw a guy doing drugs, and was cat called by some guy. As a woman, I felt incredibly unsafe here and instantly cancelled my reservation the moment I got here. Also, the place where they recommend you to park costs $30 and you can’t even pull your car out???? I wish the front desk staff would’ve told us we couldn’t pull our car out before we wasted $30.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear Missjn22, I am sorry to hear that you did not get a chance to stay with us, I do understand your concerns. I do hope that you enjoyed your time in San Francisco.

Reviewed August 18, 2018 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a last minute stay in the city at a very affordable rate for a Friday night. The hotel staff was very kind and friendly and provided us with great service!! Kunal and the kind German lady, we didn't get her name unfortunately, was super quick and helpful when we arrived and we checked in no problem for a last minute booking (30 minutes prior to arriving at 10:00PM). The room was small but as expected in the city. There was no fridge however, but we didn't need it. The bed was huge (king) and extremely comfortable! The area isn't as bad as most other reviews say, just get to where you need to be, nobody bothers you if you don't give them a reason to. Very well located near Union , everything is only a few minutes walk to. I can't say anything about the bar or food downstairs but we went to the one next door which had relatively cheap beers and a nice crowd. Do recommend!!

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Hi Chris

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Hotel Bijou and San Francisco. Hopefully next time you can try Gibson restaurant.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 15, 2018 via mobile

To be fair — I didn’t choose this hotel, rather it was a Hotwire hotel “secret” deal in which they advertised a hotel in union square for a great deal (now I understand why — no one wants to be in this dump!)

The hotel is a pretty standard but with very limited amenities (no fridge, microwave, ac, etc.) and is in one of the sketchier parts of town. The Hotwire deal didn’t let me choose the number of beds in the room and so we were forced into a room smaller than meets our needs — turns out for similar costs there are much nice hotels in the area; we didn’t book early enough and most places were sold old.

My mother and I came on vacation and rarely felt safe leaving/entering the hotel. In the evenings the individuals outside (some are drunk, possibly high) were yelling at us, moving toward us, etc. - we live in NYC and I’ve worked in some of the worst parts of Brooklyn and Manhattan, this was worse. The music at night is insanely loud and not much is done to stop it. The front staff gave conflicting information; the room was suffocatingly hot with limited circulation. There was a fan and we were told to open the window, which doesn’t have any netting so flies, birds, etc. could easily come in.

The location is decent, minus the stench of urine within a 5 block radius; the transit is nearby and some top attractions are within walking distance (0.5-2 miles minimum). Personally wouldn’t return; nothing worth being in this neighborhood again with such limited amenities, especially at its cost.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank HiaAbdel
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2018

Dear Guest, thank you for have stayed with us, the tenderloin area can seem troubling, however the proximity of it being to down San Francisco, Cable Car Turnaround, is within one block, all within the same block of the big box hotels, Parc 55, Hilton, and Nikko Hotel. San Francisco has a large homeless issue that our new major is working towards resolving, The hotel works closely with local city authorities to curb the street people that lounge about the area. Our hotel lobby was recently renovated, we added Gibson restaurant I do hope that you had a chance to dine, the hotel is 3/4 of the way of having completed a rooms renovated.. While the rooms do not have microwaves, and refrigerator this are all on request item. Once again thank you for having stayed with us, and I do hope that you managed to take some cherish memories of you and your mother in San Francisco.