“Great location, poor neighbours, bad wifi”
Review of Hotel Bijou

Hotel Bijou
Ranked #124 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Winnipeg, Canada
“Great location, poor neighbours, bad wifi”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

The hotel is located in a great spot to connect with transportation. It is within easy walking distance to busses, street cars, cable cars, BART, and light rail. It is a brief and easy stroll to Union Square and Chinatown.

The surrounding neighbourhood is pretty seedy, especially after dark. There are several street people, panhandlers, and druggies hanging out nearby. That being said, we were never accosted by anyone, or felt unsafe.

The wifi was terrible. Some days I could not connect at all. Most days the signal would be very sporadic. It would be fine for a few minutes, then disappear for long periods.

The staff were always friendly and helpful.

It wasn't a bad experience, but I probably not stay here again.

Room Tip: There is no air conditioning so the higher your room, the less street noise you will hear from your...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank prairiewheat
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review, we are happy to hear that the location of the hotel and the staff were to your liking, we do apologies for the internet we made some improvements on the weekend of 3/15/14, we have seen better results, and we are making some additional improvements within the month, so please keep your eyes and ears out and we do hope that you will change your mind and stay with us in the future.

Blanca Rivera

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I stayed here for two weeks (while attending ITMI) and overall had a positive experience. First of all, the staff is GREAT; Jaleesa and JR were especially awesome and incredibly helpful. They did everything they could to make our stay more enjoyable and are the reason I give Bijou 4 stars instead of 3. The hotel has funky vibe and a cool little theater if you want to watch movies at night. The rooms are relatively small, but clean (and for downtown SF, probably a good size for the money). While I was there, the internet did not work in the rooms, only the lobby. This was pretty frustrating, but I believe it may have gotten fixed after we left, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask if it's important.

As far as the location: Yes, you will have homeless people buzzing just around the corner from the hotel, which is probably the biggest downside of staying here. From what I understand, you can ask for an interior room for a quieter sleeping experience. The noise didn't actually bother me too much at night, and I had a room right above the mayhem. I also felt safe walking to and from the hotel (as a 28 year old female) as long as I stayed on main streets/touristy areas. (Just don't walk into the Tenderloin.)

For the money, the place/location/staff is worth it if you want to experience SF. Call, get an interior room confirmed, make sure you can get wifi if you need it, and you should be good to go. Also, one of the best craft beer bars in CA - Mikkeller Bar - is less than 1/2 block away. So there's that too.

Room Tip: Get a room high up that faces the interior.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Jenna

Thank you for the review, and I am to hear that JR and Jaleesa's stood out to you with their service. We are terribly sorry about the internet we did some changes on the weekend of 03/15/14 to improve the internet, I have to say we do see better results for our guests, and there are still some further upgrades to come within the coming month.

The hotel location is great, and as mentioned we do have some rooms that are on the quieter side , as well as the street people dont bother.

We look forward to a return visit.

Ribeirão Preto, São Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Bijou Hotel has a nice localization, close to the " heart of San Francisco downtown", but it suffers from this same advantage, since it is close for a nice so good neighborhood going right to Mason street...Anyway, taking the precaution when walking late at night in that area, during the day, it is a fantastic area, close to the Westfield Center, Metreon, Moscone Convention Center, yerba Buena center, Modern Art Museum, among many others! Staff is helpful, general manager - Blanca Zelidon is fantastic! - decent breakfast without outrageous charges. I highly recommend it - one downside is the wi-fi connection that is not good in the rooms, unfortunately

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Charles

How very sweet of you to mention me on tripadvisor, thank you. Thank yo also for taking the time to write a review. It was my pleasure to have met you and get to know you. Yes we have a great location close to all the mentioned area but we are on the border of the beging of the tenderloin area, however the people do not the bother as you have noted. Regarding the internet, as I had mentioned and I am very sorry that you missed it over the weekend we did make some improvements, and I have to say that we are running a full house this week and the service is much better. Charles, it was once again a pleasure to have met you, and I do hope to see you again in the near future.

Blanca Zelidon
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I stayed for four days. I came to see the city and visit friends not the amenities of the hotel. If you want the perks go two blocks up the street for twice the price and all the amenities. JR, Jalessa and Warren were the best, offering me great places to dine and advice on what to visit first. The room was clean upon entering and cleaned daily. The towels were fresh and all the toiletries stocked. I didn't partake in the movies or the breakfast offered as I was out early every morning and in late every night. If you travel a lot, homeless people in every major city that you visit; some places are better at hiding them than others. They are not standing in front of the hotel and I didn't see them bother anyone. Every time I step out of the hotel I was greeted with a good morning or have a nice evening....and yes these were from the homeless people just around the corner. I did not receive this greeting inside the hotel unless JR, Warren or Jalessa where there. Again if this bothers you, just pay more two blocks up the street to see them walk past instead of stand around the corner. I didn't come in to watch television or work so the tv or internet had no baring on my stay. Overall it was a very nice visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside away from the street if they are available. You will not have a view of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank glittle261
Texas City, Texas
Reviewed February 25, 2014

If you minus the homeless people outside and the noise they make all hours of the night, and the horrible internet reception, horrible TV channels and the noisy elevator this is a okay place! The staff is very nice here and i feel like they did everything they could to help us out, they even called the cops because of the loud homeless outside for us! They offer to have free WiFi in rooms but but you have to go into the lobby to use it which sucks because i wanted my privacy. Also the TV channels did not come in very clear and it was frustrating trying to relax after a long day but I would just sleep when I could. Jalessa offered for me to have ear plugs which was really nice an it cut down on the noise so I thank her for that! Thank you to Jay R. too for making a food recommendation for us, it was delicious! If it wasn't for the nice staff, most of them, the older woman who works in the morning did not seem to care or enjoy her job much, and the good location this place would be horrible. I will recommend this place for people who need to rest but not for business.

Request a room higher up and towards the back to avoid the noise of the sirens and homeless, downtown san francisco.

Room Tip: high up room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank E Z
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Thank you for pointing out the employees that most stood out to you. I apologize about the areas commented on, we are taking proper steps in correcting this services for our guest, i look forward to being able to report back when complete. Perhaps we can entice you for a return visit to give us a second chance.

kind Regards

Hotel Bijou
San Bernardino, California
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My 2 weeks was great.
The room was pretty decent. I wasn't expecting greatness but it serves it's purpose. The location is very close to all the forms of transport and the touristy Union Square.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank znznznznznznznznz
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review we are happy to hear that your two weeks here were enjoyable. I am very happy to hear that my staff offered good service to you. We are sorry for the internet. As you may have noticed our maintenance guy was recabling as we are preparing for some upgrade on the internet, I will report back when we have completed this phase.

Kind regards
Hotel Manager
Rehovot
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel with a friend for almost a week, for a conference that was held at Moscone center.
The hotel is o.k: clean and week kept. The t.v. was quiet old and you could hardly see.
The location was good when thinking about walking time to Moscone center (15 min), bart station (1 min to powell st.), restaurants (1-10 min for any type of food you wish), and shopping (market st. Is just a 1 min walk). But the main problem is the people on the street just under the hotel. Although noting bad happened it was not a nice feeling to go trough all the homeless when going to the hotel. They also made a lot of noise under our window at night, and there was noting to do since all the twin rooms are on that side.
All in all it was o.k. For the price we paid - $100 (conference price).

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Amir B
Dear Guest

Thank you for the review. We are happy to hear that the location was good for you, as we thinking the location is great, accessable to various areas. in Regards to street people yes they do not bother, but they can make noise, our staff does thier best to keep area clean, we ask that at any time you get noise that you let the front desk know so that we can continue to do our job and keep the area clean.

We hope that we will have the pleasure of a return visit.

Hotel Manager