Hotel Bijou
Mystic Hotel(San Francisco)
$175
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$252
$227
$319
$194
  • Pool
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$189
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$206
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$241
$206
  • Room Service
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$257
$229
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$434
$219
$178
Travelocity
  • Room Service
All reviewstenderloineddy stunion squarebart stationcable carnever felt unsafemarket streetfriendly hotelthe staff was friendly and helpfulfree coffeelate at nightlight sleeperan older hotelevery eveningpublic transportationheart of san franciscofew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I lived in SF for 17 years a long time ago and was happy to be "sharing" my city with twelve college students from an east coast city for an educational Spring Break trip. I was a bit speechless when I was told that the hotel was in the Tenderloin, but it was all that the students could afford.
That being said, this is a very "no frills" hotel.
Very basic everything. The rooms are a bit run down (the moulding in my bathroom was coming apart from the wall). No fridge, Ugly carpet, uncomfortable bed, bad art, you know the place...
For women, there is not much shelf space for cosmetics, nor was there very good light in my bathroom. I used the light from the front window and a mirror I brought with me to put on my makeup.
The shower was difficult to control, depending on how many people were using the plumbing at the same time; it could be very hot or get cold very quickly. I didn't feel like the bathroom was clean enough to take a bath in the tub.
The ice machine is in the back stairwell and I don't know why but that stairwell smelled terrible! I got my ice, but was never given a new, clean plastic liner for my bucket (a small thing, but still). Another annoyance; stores in SF charge for bags! I bought items from Macy's, Nordstroms, etc. and folded those large shopping bags neatly to use for another shopping outing. Well, the morning after I got them they were gone! They were not even on the floor, but on a chair! The maid took my shopping bags! I didn't say anything because it seemed silly but I then thought what else could be taken? I didn't have anything of value with me but it did give me pause.
Now for the neighborhood; if you get room facing either of the front streets, be prepared to be assaulted all night with loud, angry, mentally ill people screaming at each other, at people passing by or at themselves. This never let up. Never. I can not stress this enough. I'm not exaggerating. Remember, I've lived in SF. This was a non-stop assault. And it's sad and tragic but there is nothing that can be done about this problem. Also, the windows in the rooms open, and if you like to sleep with fresh air as I do, forget that also. You will never sleep.
If you have children, I would rethink a stay here...
The good thing is that the hotel is near to everything you might want to see if you are a tourist. And it is close to all transportation if you want to venture away from the main Union Square/Convention Center area.
The two gentlemen who work in the evenings were fab. They were funny and had great stories and were extremely helpful. The women who worked in the day were more distant.
The hotel offers a "breakfast" with your room (although there may be an extra charge for it). Do not opt for the breakfast!!! You are in one of the best foodie cities in the world, why would you want to eat thawed frozen pancakes that you heat up in the toaster?!!! Go to a coffee shop, go to any number of breakfast places in the area, heck, go to Starbucks! Just don't eat in the sad, ugly kitchen dining room. It is no way to start your day in beautiful SF!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank gilbertmouse
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Hotel Bijou and San Francisco.

San Francisco is a busy city there is always liveliness in the streets however the hotel does have rooms that face the inside and are much more quieter, available upon request. I am happy that some of my staff members were able to connect with you and assist. Thank you for pointing out the wonderful location that the hotel does have close to the shopping center and cable car turn around, we do offer an expanded continental breakfast which offers a bit more than a normal cotinental breakfast, so it has a lot of "at home" items to help our on the go guests yogurts, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, pancakes and waffles with coffee and juice it provides a little something for the tummy to get your day going.

We will look into your comments and look forward to improving as we go. Thank you once again your review, we hope that overall you enjoyed your stay in San Francisco, and that we will see you again.

Hotel Bijou

Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife and I often look for great older two-star places in big European cities and are often rewarded by great locations and modest pricing without the size and annoyances of the big chain hotels. The price is right here, and as long as expectations are reined in, guest ought to have a decent experience. Yes, it's on the dodgy end of Mason Street near Market, but folks, it is safe and the street people are harmless and friendly. The building is old, and hasn't had extensive reno work in a while, but clean and well maintained. And where are you going to get a clean and pleasant sleep five minutes off Union Square and within easy walking distance of the SoMa district for this price point? And a two minute stroll to the cable car platform as well as the BART station that takes you directly to and from SFO for a couple of bucks. Pleasant staff, lots of useful info and simple lobby with all day tea and coffee: we skipped the house breakfast and bought pastries down the street before exploring the city or conference-going.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from Mason Street: a sports bar next door can get a little noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ken R

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Good Location, Good Price, and it sounds like my staff was helpful. We look forward to a return visit.

Hotel Bijou Manager

Reviewed May 7, 2013

NIce and clean rooms.Location is great to Moscone center and downtown.On the other hand,be ready to deal with a LOT of beggars.At night the surrounding area is kind of empty,and one should be careful walking around.I haven't had any trouble,but be careful about that.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank masoliveira
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for the review. Yes, we do have a wonderful location. One block from the cable car turn around, Powell Bart Station, San Francisco Shopping Center, and tons of restuarants italian, indian, american, thai, etc... surrounding the restaurant. There are street people but you will encounter that all over San Francisco.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was really unpleasant with the attitude of the receptionist during check-in. She was on the phone and while we were standing in front of her. She made no eye contact and treated us like transparent. Then she hang up the phone turn around look at the computer again made another phone call. I can understand she might have some urgent issue dealing with but at least she can ask can we wait a moment.. none..
the room is rather small than shown in the photo of their website. The room is dim and bed is small. The entire room just make me feel very uncomfortable.No any amenities. No drinking water. No coffee. However, its location really convenience. It is very closed to street car station and cable car station. Nordstorm, Macy's, Forever21, Gucci and so on around the corner. There plenty choices of food on the street around hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jiajiabinks
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for writing a review and I am very sorry if the staff did not give your proper service, an acknolwedgement would have been nice. It seems as if you were not informed as well that we have complinentary coffee, tea, hot cholocate 24/7 in our lobby. Bottled water and sodas are available at the front desk for an additional fee of $1.00 each.
We have some wonderful reviews as to how great my staff is, I do hope that on your return trip to San Francisco you will think of us, we would love the opporunity to show that we not disregard our guests. Dont forget our great shopping location.

Blanca
Hotel Manager

Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. We did lose TV service due to Satellite dish issues. The manager refunded us 10% of the total bill. I liked the fact that most major car rental agencies are walking distance from the hotel. I was only disappointed by the breakfast not being included in the price. It was additional $7 which was not bad for San Francisco.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelBijou111, General Manager at Hotel Bijou, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for the review, we are once again sorry for the inconvenience of the cable situation. We look forward to your return visit.

Blanca