“Nice Room, Good Value”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Nice Room, Good Value”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I did a lot of research and saw this hotel was recommended by most of those who stayed there. I would also recommend it if you are looking for something in this area. The price was right and the room was very comfortable. I was worried about it being a 'Boutique' hotel, instead of a chain because I've always stayed in chains, but I was very pleased. My only complaint was that the lobby staff didn't seem that knowledgable about the area.
If you are a light sleeper, you might think the A/C was a little loud but it didn't bother me.
The boxed breakfast was a nice addition, like a grab-and-go snack, not a sit down meal. There's a diner across the street though. Overall there wasn't a lot of nice restaurants nearby, you need to go closer to Union Square for that. Also, the area was a little sketchy overall but I didn't feel unsafe. As long as you are used to city-life, it was fine. I'd say it was similar to NYC.
The price was right and we had a great stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Haiyi, Front Desk Supervisor at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Hello laurentvg,

Thank you very much for your review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed our accommodations & the breakfast boxes available. Although by far not the luxurious part of, "The City," SoMA is continually thriving with planned restaurant and cafe openings as well as major corporations that have recently moved their headquarters to SoMA. We certainly appreciate your taking the time to share your experience on with us and the Trip Advisor community. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next visit into San Francisco!

Kind Regards,

The Carriage Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is a great little hotel. The staff were nice, the rooms were cute, clean, and spacious, and it is about a half block from the courthouse. Loved the themed rooms. Great choice and reasonable rates.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank malliew2
Hi malliew2,

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to share your review about your recent stay with us and the Trip Advisor community. I am pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations and service! We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to San Francisco, thanks again!

Kind Regards,

Seattle
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Each room is dedicated to a different literary personage or legendary San Francisco icon, from Mark Twain to Armistead Maupin to Lawrence Ferlinghetti, as well as others of lesser notoriety, like Carol Doda or Pink Man. Most rooms have a signature typewriter on their desk with a piece of paper on which is typed the bio of their eponymous hero, stuck under the carriage. So the "carriage" in Carriage Inn is not the horse and buggy but the carriage return.

Nicely decorated, it's comfortable, quiet and across the street from a larger Best Western, to which it is connected, and where guests can dine and take a dip in what is billed as a rooftop Saltwater Pool (steaming, heated to 90 degrees). Have no idea if it really is saltwater. Staffed with friendly and helpful people. Coffee & continental breakfast come with the room. Worth the price. Establishments like this will help bring up this neighborhood.

Room Tip: Rooms are fairly quiet. Ask for a refrigerator if you need it. Had I not come solo, I would have cho...
Green Features: Nice brown bag breakfast. Delicious croissants BUT, and maybe it's just me, but I am not keen on aspartame-filled yoghurt, the main breakfast item. Some people are allergic to it and it's not nutritious for most everyone else.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hello Chichalina,

Your comments about your stay with us are much appreciated and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the Trip Advisor community! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations, the amenities and your appreciation of our decor and San Francisco historical significance. Your review I'm sure will help our future guests make the best of their stay while in San Francisco! We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Best Wishes,

Coarsegold, California
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed here while working in SOMO area. Was a quick drive to and from the office. Great location, hotel is charming and decor is old Hollywood style which is cool. My room was large, clean and quiet for the most part. Being an older building there are squeaks in the floors and you do hear doors closing in the other rooms but for staying in the City, I found it a quieter alternative to other places I've stayed. Continental breakfast was perfect and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Some may think the area is a bit sketchy but I think the young working adults are moving in and changing the landscape. There's an awesome burger place across the street that was very good! Upon checkout, Mina went above and beyond to help me book a room for my return in a couple of weeks. I think I found my home away from home!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Katprit,

With the many choices of hotels in San Francisco we are delighted that you chose the Carriage Inn as your home here in San Francisco. We are ecstatic that you enjoyed the room design and décor. Our staff aim to provide all of our guests a warm welcome and secure feeling during their time with us. Especially Mina who has been a great member of our Haiyi Hotels family and we appreciate that you recognized her customer service skills.

We look forward to welcome you back to your new found home away from home on your next visit to San Francisco. Thank you again for choosing the Carriage Inn.

With anticipation,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend and very much enjoyed the hotel. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The rooms was large and had large windows and plenty of room. Breakfast Box was a surprise, but appreciated. Workout facilities and pool across the street were more than adequate.
Plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Flyeguy,

It has been our pleasure to provide you a memorable Carriage Inn experience especially in regard to our Breakfast Box. We aim to provide all of our guests a welcoming and enjoyable experience during their time with us. We are delighted to have started off the day for you with a nice surprise.

Thank you for choosing the Carriage Inn and we look forward to welcoming you back.

With anticipation,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Healdsburg, California
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Nicely appointed, clean rooms, pleasant staff, parking on premise. Kitch-chic decor - patterned wall paper and cute furniture. I stayed here over New Years Eve with my boyfriend, and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Haiyi, Front Desk Supervisor at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Victoria W,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your New Year's Eve experience at The Carriage Inn. We are delighted to hear of your pleasant experiences you had with our staff. We are also happy to hear that our kitch-chic decor, patterned wall paper & cute furniture in the room made your stay memorable and you are excited to stay with us again. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments; we look forward to be your home the next time you make your way to San Francisco.

Warm regards,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I am not usually the one to leave reviews, but this time I had to do it!! The hotel is in a good location, but what made the stay great, was Mina, the person at the front desk! She gave us a lot of great tips on things to do, where to eat, how to travel in SF. Before I left, I got a cold, and she made sure I got 2 tea bags and some honey for the plane! That was what I think is customer service! She paid attention to her customer needs!!! Thank you Mina!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Haiyi, Assistant Front Office Manager at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear C B,

Thank you for sharing your comments and review of our hotel, Carriage Inn, with all of friends in the Trip Advisor community. Mina is one of the many service stars at the Carriage Inn and we are happy to know that our staff left you with a great impression and experience at our hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review of the Carriage Inn; we hope to see you soon!

Regards,