“carriage inn sfo”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“carriage inn sfo”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

stayed spring 2013, clean comfortable, quiet, above average in terms of room finishes, neighborhood is not the best, not the worst either. Location is convenient especially if you have a car. No longer a best western, although this hotel is affiliated with the best western Americana.

Room Tip: front side is on 7 th very busy street, back is quieter and looks out onto trees.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve M
Haiyi, Front Desk Supervisor at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Steve M,

Thank you for taking the time out to write about your recent trip to San Francisco and the Carriage Inn. We are delighted to hear that you found our rooms to be quiet, clean and comfortable. Our design and housekeeping teams work very hard to provide a unique and wonderful experience in each room.

We are also happy to hear that you were able to conveniently explore the city with either walking, public transportation or your car. We hope to see you again soon.

Best wishes,
Jazmine Bonnett
Front Desk Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sherman, Connecticut
Reviewed November 23, 2013

At first glance it doesn't look all that impressive. When you find out it is a Best Western you understand. Not to say there is anything wrong with Best Westerns but it isn't the Fairmont or Marriott Marquis. But you aren't paying their ridiculous prices either. (The Carriage Inn is less than half the Marriott)

The rooms were lovely - each one decorated differently. The staff were so nice I really liked all that I met. It was one of the cheapest hotels for the Dreamforce conference but they gave free wifi as opposed to ridiculous wifi charges at the Marriott! Also, they had a lovely breakfast of freshly baked croissant, banana, OJ, and yogurt!

The hotel is in an up and coming neighborhood which is a nice way of saying I didn't feel comfortable walking alone at night on one street that led to the hotel. During the day I walked bak and forth without a worry.

I would definitely stay here again! And hopefully they will continue to sere those delicious croissants!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Elly B
Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear Elly B,

We thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay at the Carriage Inn. We are absolutely delighted that we exceeded your expectations.

Our design team will be proud to hear that you enjoyed the aesthetics of each of the different rooms that you were able to view. It is our pleasure to serve you with your needs while you enjoyed your stay at the Carriage Inn. Our chef will be happy to hear that you savor the freshly baked croissants that we prepare on a daily basis.

We know you have many choices when choosing your home away from home and we appreciate you chose to stay at the Carriage Inn. We look forward to warmly welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

With anticipation,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This hotel was better than I'd expected after reading reviews on Trip Advisor. It was absurdly expensive, but I understand this is the norm for hotels in SanFran. We paid over $400 total for one night (a Saturday). No room is worth that much, IMO.

The look of the hotel is sort of an aged-elegance style. I really enjoyed the look and feel of the room, which was very large. We stayed in one of the upgraded King rooms with fireplace. The bed was SO SO SO comfortable! And that's not something I usually notice enough to comment on.

The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The lobby area is very tiny--expect to stand and wait if you arrive at the general check-in hour.

I did not notice any strange smells, as other reviewers have mentioned, and I did not notice the neighborhood to be either very good or very bad, however, BART was on strike when we were there so we drove in and out of the hotel and didn't do much walking in the area.

I'd recommend this hotel to friends. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Haiyi, Front Desk Supervisor at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear mwieser,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Carriage Inn during your recent visit to San Francisco. We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your experience with the Trip Advisor community.

We are so pleased that you found your large Executive King room to be so clean and comfortable. I do agree with you; the fireplaces do give the rooms a touch of elegance and sophistication.

Our staff is dedicated and passionate when it comes to providing excellent service and I am thrilled that you were able to experience this firsthand.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in future!

Best Wishes,

Jazmine Bonnett
Front Desk Supervisor
San Francisco
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our stay was great! The staff were super friendly, and the hotel was very safe and clean. The neighbourhood wasn't ideal, but we would stay here again for sure! If the hotel was in a different location it would be perfect!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Haiyi, Front Office Manager at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Jana B,

It has been our pleasure to provide you a memorable Carriage Inn experience. Our staff aim to provide all of our guests a welcoming and secure feeling during their time with us.

Our SOMA community is working together to build a safe and welcoming neighborhood. We look forward to welcome you back to the Carriage Inn on your next visit to San Francisco. Thank you again for choosing the Carriage Inn.

Kind regards,

Don Ignacio
Front Office Manager
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I have stayed at the Carriage Inn many times. It is perfectly located to walk to Union Square or mass transit systems to get you where you might want to go. It is also close to freeways and offers parking (for a nominal fee by SF standards). Being small is their advantage. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are large and clean, bed comfortable, decor is kitschy and maybe not to everyone's taste, but you're not paying the high downtown prices. This hotel is also very popular with international travelers.

Room Tip: Higher floor toward the back and you will avoid street noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rick1395
Haiyi, Assistant Front Office Manager at Carriage Inn, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Rick R,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at the Carriage Inn with all of our friends in the Trip Advisor community. We are pleased to hear that you found your stay so accommodating. We strive to give the best San Francisco experience to all of our travelers. We look forward to being your South of Market Alternative the next time you make it back to The City!

Warm regards,

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in the Carriage Inn. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The room was large with a big picture window. Best of all, was that it is not just like every other standard hotel room. The rooms are themed - mostly around writers with the name of the writer on the door along with the room number. The King bed in my room was very comfortable. The decor was attractive and easy on the eyes.
The bathroom is quite nice - not the best hotel bathroom I've ever had, but had everything I needed, clean and in good working order. The tub sides were a little higher than usual so you may have a bit of a problem if you can't make a high step into the tub - I'm not sure if they have any accessible rooms.
The location of the hotel is good with easy access to BART and MUNI at Civic Center, and withing walking distance of the Moscone Center and the shopping, restaurants and museums around Yerba Buena Gardens. It is a long walking distance to Union Square. It is in the South of Market, aka SOMA area which is a neighborhood in transition - once run-down and dangerous, it is filling with new or refurbished apartments, condos, and the amenities that go with them. But there are still plenty of homeless people in the area, and some spots, especially the nearby section of Market Street may make you uncomfortable. Still - my feeling was that most of these people are harmless, except perhaps to themselves.
I only had two problems with the hotel. There was a malfunctioning smoke alarm that woke me late one night - I called the desk, and the clerk came right up and disabled it until maintenance could fix it. It was repaired by the next evening and I had no more trouble. My room was on the 7th Street side of the hotel, and street noise was a bit of a problem - especially one night when two men began yelling outside my window. But my corner of the hotel had the nice bulge-out with the big windows.

Room Tip: You have to decide which is more important to you - light by day or quiet by night - I don't thi...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear flash54,

We would love to thank you for taking the time to share with our friends in the Trip Advisor community your recent experience at the Carriage Inn. We are happy to hear that are convenient location, comfortable rooms and helpful staff made a good impression on your recent visit. It is unfortunate to hear that you had an issue with your smoke detector keeping you awake, but we are pleased to hear that our staff was able to correct the issue. We would like to thank you again for sharing and would love to see you again at the Carriage Inn the next time you travel to San Francisco.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I spent four nights here with my fiance and I had a hard time sleeping at night even if I usually never have. The building is very interglot and I heared every move they did upstairs. I could even hear they move in bed. There's also a smell in the hotel from the chinese restaurant next door. We had a non-smoking room but we could smell smoke from the ventilation now and then.
There's a highly trafficated road right outside and due to the old windows it sounded like they were open.
But everything is not that horrible, the service is good and the room have nice old fashioned design and the breakfast boxes are charming.
But I will not recomend this hotel to anyone who wants to sleep because of all the noices.

2 Thank Alexander B
Dear Alexander B,

Thank you for writing your review about your recent stay at the Carriage Inn and sharing with the Trip Advisor community. We appreciate all of you feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you found the hotel to noisy but we are happy to know that our staff, room design and breakfast left a favorable impression. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences, we look forward to another opportunity to give you a great experience the next time you travel to San Francisco.

Kindest regards,