“Clean and well located”
Review of Hotel Beresford

Hotel Beresford
Ranked #142 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Located close to Union Square and main downtown attractions as well as stops for Hop On, Hop Off bus. Room was comfortable an clean, but small. Reception staff extremely friendly and helpful. Free breakfast very limited, a little cereal, croissant, muffin and coffee help yourself in bar area - but adequate.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tony W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,212)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights at this little European style hotel. I chose this one primarily because it was relatively low priced (around $150 per night) and in a good area of San Francisco near Union Square. The location seemed pretty safe, although I hear you don't want to go west of this hotel much into the Tenderloin.

The rooms are very small but mostly nice. It seemed pretty clean but some of it was falling apart, like a little peeling on the walls, things like that. The staff was friendly although a little awkward and confused at times. Had a little fridge in the room that they stock with various drinks for a price, but it's pretty cheap. Also had a nice flat screen TV with a few channels on it. There is no air condition, but it's pretty cool in San Francisco and felt nice in the room the whole time to me (and I'm the type who gets hot really easily).

Breakfast is in the pub attached to the hotel. Yes, it's dark and kind of depressing for breakfast, but who cares? The main issue is that the food is completely lacking. There was coffee and some nasty instant orange juice (not real OJ, but powder mixed with water). Then some croissants and "muffins" that didn't look very good, and some grapes. That was it. It would be nice for at least some bananas or something that I could grab and take with me when going out into the city for the day, but I had to walk down a couple blocks to Walgreens or 7-11 to buy those.

Overall, this place is a good choice for staying in the city for a decent price. If I was planning on spending a lot of time in my room, I don't know if this place would cut it, but it served its purpose and looked nicer to me than a lot of other similarly priced places. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Beresford for the second time. Both times we were on a budget and just wanted a decent place in a convenient location. The Beresford serves that purpose. The hotel staff is friendly, if a bit disorganized. The rooms are clean but a little beaten-up looking. Our room had no available outlets, so we had to take turns charging our cell phones in the bathroom. There are few amenities, but the rooms are equipped with mini-bars, which I appreciate because so many hotels have ditched them in recent years. Overall, I would recommend the Beresford for anyone looking a clean and adequate place to sleep. If you want a luxurious stay, I'd say go elsewhere.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The rooms were small and the bathrooms smaller then our closet!! Rooms were clean and beds were really comfortable. The hotel staff were nice and helpful. Close to union square made it very easy to get around San Fran.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed for 4 nights, room small, breakfast was on the not so good, only ate there 2 breaks, corridors dark and had a funny smell, bed comfy, bathroom small but did the job, glad for window that opened, front desk abrupt at times, location great, we didn't spend a lot of time at hotel, wifi poor, only usable lobby floor, would I stay here again, probably not

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I passed 4 nights in thay hotel.
It is very well located bur the people at the desk are really unhelpfull except a lady.
We didn't know the breakfest was included and ate 3 times outside, The bathroom is very small, the rooms are not at all sound isolated and we knew when our neighbours used the bathroom and came in or out.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jjsk1
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel was great! Staff was very friendly and helpful. The morning breakfast did the job(pastries, rolls, cereal, fruit, coffee, tea, mile and oj.) Breakfast was in the British styled pub connected to the hotel.The bedroom was small , like many older european hotels. I had a queen sized bed which made the room feel smaller.They don't have air conditioning in the rooms, but San Francisco weather rarely needs it. They do however have fans in all the rooms.

Valet service was provided for those with cars...shuttle service to and from the airport was easy to arrange.(Don't try to walk the half mile from the Bart with your luggage-its up a steep hill!)

Every day I met people from all over the world as I rode up and down the elevator.Austrailians were the top number....followed by various Western European natives. I met only one American visitor the week I stayed there. She confided that she and her husband had been coming to this hotel for years.
I could understand why. It was comfortable. The price was very inexpensive for San Francisco. The people were nice. you could walk in any direction and find interesting things to do and places to eat. And the location is great!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo