“Great Stay in San Francisco” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Beresford

Hotel Beresford
Ranked #136 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Stay in San Francisco”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a great stay at the Hotel Beresford on Sutter Street in San Francisco in May 2013. We were greeted by smiling and very helpful staff. Our room was very quaint on the third floor. It was not super large but it had its own bath and was clean and bright! There was no view. There was a continental breakfast every morning. It wasn't that great: cereal, fresh fruit, pastries, coffee tea and juice, all served on paper plates and bowls. No cream for the coffee. They advertised a wine and cheese in the evening at the pub on the main floor, but the one night we went it was mostly, beer and hot dogs. We didn't mind, the atmosphere was great!
The staff was very helpful and answered all of our questions and gave us some great tips and advice.
Great location, 5 to 10 minute walk to Union Square, China Town, Theatre district and the trolly/buses. Good restaurants around it.
There is no swimming pool and we did not use the Room Service. No internet service in the room but was available in the lobby.
All in all, we would definitely go back to the Beresford!
A big thank you to all of the staff!

Room Tip: I would choose a room on one of the upper floors and to the front, as the views might be better. If...
1 Thank 2thmn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

The rooms on the 7th floor all suffer from odour problems. The bathroom windows don't fully close so the neighbouring buildings A/C will keep you awake. Wifi only works in the lobby. Receptionist didn't even look up from his computer during check in and on the final day, valet took over an hour to return the car and had broken a wing mirror. If you're price conscious, you're forced into this kind of hotel, if you're road tripping and can afford better, splash out. An extra 20 / 30 will get you so much more.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Daj0ba

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Garfield Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Booked in knowing they has no coffee making asked where I could perhaps get a kettle from today down the road then told some rooms have it just not mine. Very noisy can not sleep go down to pub for tea to be told no we don't do meals kitchen under construction. Very old decor fatback tv no flat screens and remote is wrong one so have to get out of bed to turn tv off. Sit sideways on toilet as room is very small.

Room Tip: Don't get room above the pub
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Extremely good location - 5 minutes walk from Union Square. Rooms were decent, slightly old feel to the decor.. the most disappointing was the breakfast ( bread, cornflakes etc, in paper plates) and no internet or even water in rooms.. its a good hotel to stay if the prices were a bit cheaper and if you need a place to crash..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

We spent 6 days at the Hotel Bersford. For tourists working to a strict budget it's the place to go! Hotel serves a basic breakfast of cereals, muffins and fruit with coffee and juice. More than adequate. They also have free snacks from 6pm consisting of hot dogs and popcorn! No other hotel I know of, has this on offer. The location is great. Close to Union Square, cable cars, station, etc. Room well furnished with small bathroom. Wi fi available, but not in rooms. Wasn't a problem as we used wi fi while having breakfast and snacks. Hair dryer available on request. I can't believe some of the comment from other visitors - For the price, you won't find better. I would have enjoyed a kettle in the room but other than that, I can't fault the hotel. Thank you for a wonderful stay in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street. We had room 615 and the room was great. If you require a hairdryer as...
1 Thank JennyB124
Puyallup, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Although a bit tired, this hotel has a terrific location in this beautiful city. The room was smallish, but we were glad to not break the budget. We went everywhere on foot. Passed on the breakfast in the hotel as it is served in their pub and it feels like a bar. We popped across the street to a diner-type place. All in all, a good value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank poetsrest
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The Hotel Beresford (not to be confused with the Beresford Arms), is a quaint, European style hotel. It's older than many of the hotels I've visited lately, so it took a little time for me to adjust. I've been spoiled with some of the more glamorous hotels in San Francisco lately. This hotel is not far from Union Square on a nice, safe street. It's a very easy walk to shops, restaurants and transportation. Although there is a medium size hill to climb from transportation on Market Street. The lobby of the hotel is the only thing that put me off for a moment. Although they have made an effort with their furnishings, I think the hotel loses a bit of credibility with the front desk. It's a little bit in disarray, with all the inner workings exposed to customer view, and the front desk staff wearing street clothing rather than a uniform, gives the initial impression of an SRO or transient hotel. But it's fine. Don't let that put you off like it did me, initially. The front desk personnel, although busy and a little distracted, are actually very nice. The lobby is small, but not the smallest I've seen in SF. I've been in some hotels that don't even have a chair. We were given a room on the top floor, which was a relief since I've heard that rooms above the bar can be noisy. We needed to be up at 5:30 am for the Bay to Breakers race the next morning. The surprisingly OK elevator whisked us speedily to our floor. For some reason, that surprised me. I guess my experience with older hotels is that that the elevator is usually slow and unreliable, if it works at all. Our room was fine. It had the usual view of a light well and roof top that one finds in SF, but it also had a partial view of the Transamerica building, which made me happy. The decor was modern, and although I had this idea that the room was old, run down and dirty, it was actually not. See the photos. It was fine. There was no tub, just a stall shower, but we were only there for one night, so it was ok. The toiletries were good. The mini bar was the cheapest in all of SF if not the entire United States. The TV was older and not a flat screen. That was a bit of a disappointment. I usually like to catch up on HGTV when I stay in hotels, but this one did not provide that channel or any other premium channels. The bed was very comfortable indeed. The room had everything I required except HGTV. And I believe the hotel offers complimentary breakfast, but we had to be at our race too early to take advantage of it. The thing that really made me agreeable to this hotel was that they put out a big tub of water bottles and a big tray of power bars for the Bay to Breakers participants, (although I noticed all the guests helping themselves). I thought it was a very thoughtful thing to do, and definitely not something a bigger brand hotel would have thought of. We are actually staying at the same hotel again the next time we go to SF for the Marathon in June.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor
2 Thank Intrepid_Traveler13