“Faultless”
Review of Mystic Hotel

Mystic Hotel
Ranked #108 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Can't recommend this place highly enough. Great location, great room and a fabulous bar but the real highlight of the place for me was the staff (Beena, Andrew & Stacy especially). They were so helpful and kind when there was a mix up with my reservation and nothing was a problem. It was a pleasure to stay there and I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Larko54
Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel was wonderful. The service was great. The room was pretty small, but clean and updated. The bathroom was newly remodeled and the lobby was very pretty. The hallways and elevator were a little creepy and scary, but that just adds to the uniqueness of the place. There is a free continental breakfast, which is wonderful. They also have a very cool bar on the second floor, which we enjoyed very much. They have an awesome mixologist that make some fabulous drinks and a wonderful atmosphere. Over all this is a great place to stay, the rooms are just not that big.

Room Tip: Get a room on a higher floor and upgrade to a bigger room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amber J
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed a total of 7 nights here at the hotel. The location is fantastic! You are literally a block away from Union Square, The Big Bus Tour Stop, the Cable Car Stop. That makes it very convenient for the regular tourist.

Our room fronts Stockton Street which is very noisy throughout the day.

Breakfast is pathetic! The buffet serves cold hard boiled eggs, some toasts, jam and a block of cream cheese. We only wanted an omelette / fried egg but that was not possible according to the staff. The hotel should definitely look into providing more for the breakfast.

1  Thank MagdalineY
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed here for our anniversary weekend & had a great experience! We were checked in early into room 309. The nice man checking us in gave us two free drink tickets which we thought was a nice gesture. The room was small but clean with very stylish decor. The bed was SO comfy!! I had read reviews about the trash being collected in early mornings so we knew we'd hear it. We both decided that we didn't care if it woke us up. I slept with earplugs & never heard it. My husband said it was loud but he had no trouble going back to sleep. There was no AC which was a negative and the fan speed didn't circulate the air very well either. The only window that opened was the bathroom & it looked out into the entryway for the restaurant staff so the room did feel a tad stuffy. I also wished there was a fridge!! Despite the close quarters, I believe one would easily fit! There is a stairwell on the other side of the wall that the bed is on but I only heard noise very late in the morning. I had been awake for hours so this did not bother me. The elevator is old & slow but we just used the stairs & that was fine. There's a parking lot across the street & it was only $21 a night!! We both thought that was very cheap! I thought the continental breakfast was better than your average one. They served Nutella & Starbucks coffee, which made my morning!
Burritt Room was AWESOME! Live jazz & the signature cocktails were delicious!! Bartenders were really friendly too! The location was also phenomenal for a tourist. ChinaTown is a block away & Union Square is 2 blocks in the other direction. Plus, there's a little market next door which is convenient.
All in all, if you're looking for a great, trendy, well priced, centrally located hotel with a cool bar, The Mystic is your spot. We will be back! Thanks for an incredible experience Mystic Hotel!!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank SBrewer106
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed in this hotel a few weeks back as part of an impromptu stay in San Francisco. We hadn't actually prebooked anywhere to stay and hotels in the area were full- on arriving at this hotel the lovely lady behind the desk advised us that there was only a suite available. I don't mind paying a fair bit of money if the room is worth it but the 'suite' was basically just a room with a tiny area at the end of the bed with a sofa in it. The bathroom was tiny and had no tub. Having said that is was clean. As other reviews mentioned this hotel can be quite noisy and I was awake from around 5am due to street noise.
The hotel is nicely decorated and has a lovely bar area. Breakfast was continental only with a limited choice. Staff were friendly and helpful, although there is no bell service to help with bags etc and I probably would have appreciated that.
Although it is a nice hotel I felt value for money was lacking and if I returned to the city, which I really hope to do, I would probably look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't opt for the suite, not worth the money.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We've stayed at this hotel three times now, and I've been racking my brain thinking of a reason to head back to San Fran. The lobby is beautiful, staff is friendly an accommodating.

We love the hotel bar, and even the continental breakfast is great. Very close to downtown, and close to restaurants and bars.

Both times the rooms have been roomy, clean and tastefully decorated. Beds are comfy, linens are crisp. Seriously, when can we go back!

Room Tip: Check in and get a drink in the hotel bar. Then head over to tunnel top bar and grab some more drink...
1  Thank 740rebeccaf
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The staff is great and couldn't be kinder, but the hotel is in an unsettling location near the entrance to a tunnel. While it is walking distance to Union Square, Chinatown and many other sites, including the trolley, it felt somewhat unsafe walking at night. There are a lot of homeless and sketchy-looking types around. I had meetings with SF locals and they agreed that the location was somewhat borderline. Do not get the odd-numbered rooms facing the alley because you won't be able to sleep. In the middle of the night (2 a.m.-ish), homeless folks come to scavenge bottles from the dumpster for an hour, followed by the 5:00 a.m. very noisy removal of the dumpster itself. Finally, be forewarned that there is no air conditioning!

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business