WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Beresford Arms

Beresford Arms
Ranked #86 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Sierra Foothills
“Consistent for 20 years!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel has been our place to stay since the early '90's. We can count on clean rooms, a friendly staff and a hassle-free stay every time. We usually stay in a two-queen junior suite but have also enjoyed the spacious Parlour Suite for special occasions and family vacations.

The location is ideal. A few blocks from the exciting Union Square where there are restaurants and stores
galore. With that in mind, a peaceful night's sleep is not going to happen in a big city. We prefer a street
view room and endure the noise vs. a more quiet interior room with no view. The choice is yours and the hotel
will gladly accommodate you.

Valet parking is kindly offered at the hotel. Our stays are usually for one night and we park at the Butterick
Garage on Sutter and walk to the hotel with our light luggage. It is about two blocks.

Room Tip: There are no screens on the windows. Rooms on higher floors may see a little pigeon action.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JanskiKP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Weekend Trip with my husband and daughter to San Francisco. Chose the Bereford Arms through Booking.com. It was a good hotel located on Post Street a few blocks from Union Plaza in the heart of the city. We stayed in what was considered to be the family suite which included a small kitchen with stove, refrig, microwave which would be great for anyone staying in the city for a longer time. Also had a large bath with two sinks, two queen beds and a small sitting area with desk and couch. The couch was a pullout, but we didn't use it. The building is old, on the historical registry of buildings. That may turn some people off but we found it to be well maintained and comfortable. If you stay in an inside hall room like we had, the pigeons come to your windows starting early in the morning as we discovered the first night. The second night we left the fan on low and that completely drowned out the noise and we slept comfortably. Comforty beds and VERY clean room. They also provide coffee, tea, muffins, croissants, scones and fruit in the lobby each morning for guests and wine and cheese in the evening for guests. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. I would return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Freefromwisco
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Excellent location - - walked to Chinatown, Little Italy, Asian Art Museum. Upgraded to giant suite with full kitchen. Charming lobby. Limited breakfast. Comfy bed, nice linens. Bath with jetted tub and bidet. Friendly staff. Small, old tv/vhs combo that worked minimally. Would stay here again without doubt.

Room Tip: The suites are very roomy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis G
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is a little gem in the hustle and bustle of San Francisco offering Victorian charm combined with modern amenities i.e free wifi in rooms. It is not the cheapest but it certainly is a great experience. Free coffee and pastry to start your day and, after a day of site-seeing and/or shopping, there is free afternoon tea plus wine and cheese in the reception area (about 4.30 pm) which is a very nice (and welcome) touch. The bedrooms are large- the beds comfortable ( we had twin) -and the bathroom very adequate. The hotel is within walking distance of Union Square,Chinatown, Moscone Convention Centre and the Financial District - there are also lots of shops to visit and spend your money in! The famous cable cars are nearby and you can also easily visit Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39 - which we did on a few occasions, There is no restaurant but we found a very nice one about 5- 10 minutes walk down the hill and we dined th a couple of nights. Last but certainly not least - the staff were very helpful and friendly at all times. I stayed there with my husband,sister and her husband and we would all recommend this hotel and happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ellis1940
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a very well maintained older property. We were upgraded on arrival to Room 509, which has two comfortable double beds and a nicely renovated bathroom with dual vanities and a jacuzzi tub. The room doesn't face the street, but the sound isolation isn't great -- there were some motorcycles and loud cars roaring up the hill, but it's not on Powell, so there's no cable car racket. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast and afternoon wine/cheese in the lobby are a nice touch. There's no fitness center or pool -- fitness fans can use the 0.6-mile uphill walk from the Powell St. BART station. We'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank garrym42
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel was fine. Good position for Union Square etc.
Fine as we walked home after our evening meal.
But I awoke about 2.30am, and as there were no coffee/tea making facilities in the room, I went down to reception. There was no chance of a brew there, just a "no" from reception. I said "oh, where can I get one?" and was told I would get one at an all night shop.... So, I returned upstairs to get my coat and ventured out fully acknowledged by the receptionist.
He should have warned me! He should DEFINITELY have warned me!
I walked around the short corner, and down the next street.... It is a different place at that time of night... I had no sooner gone a few yards down there, and saw a young couple being chased by a weird, wirey, bushy haired black guy. They were hurriedly proffering him a banknote (to get rid of him), which he grabbed.
I swiftly walked around the next corner and speeded up my pace. However, as I glanced back, I realised he was now running towards me... I quickened my pace to a run.... Here I am at 58 years old running away from a drugged up tramp!
The whole atmosphere was different to daytime. There were virtually no street lights, and the dark huddled figures on the pavements were all black men sleeping rough.... I was approached three times in all, before I found myself lost. OMG!
I flicked open my phone to access a map app... OMG again... as I felt lit up light a Christmas tree... So I closed it immediately, not wanting to draw attention to myself.
A black and white police car drew up near the junction, so I approached the car..... They did not like that.... And barked questions at me.... They were wary of ME! "go four blocks over and two down" they directed... then they floored the accelerator and speeded away from me.
I eventually found my way back to the hotel, but found it difficult to avoid the vagrants, as you need to cross roads at the junctions, where they tend to collect. And then there was the black car parked at the pavement side selling drugs that I had to pass. The only places lit up were decidedly seedy... It was a scary place. The least the receptionist at the hotel could have done was warn me; or the lazy get could have made me a brew surely! My advice is DO NOT GO OUT DURING THE NIGHT. If I had not had his experience, my report would have been good.
I looked up the area later to discover it is nicknamed the "Tenderloin" (as in New York) a no-go area at late hours! Look it up ....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MichaelCAR
Deer Island, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

There are cheaper possibilities (hostels $100 for double room) but this is a fine old hotel where all the comforts (upgraded by Priscilla at desk to Rm 409 w/jacuzzi tub & 2 plush queen beds!) did not detract from the elegance. We paid $109 booking.com in January, which included both morning and afternoon gatherings in the spacious lobby (free computers away in a corner, and free Wi-Fi throughout.) Breakfast at 7:30 coffee/croissants/scones/muffins with ample serve-yourself chunks of cantaloupe and honeydew, and hosted wine & cheese/crackers at 4:30. Service is very helpful and friendly, making you feel welcome from beginning to end. Importantly, there is storage space for luggage if you arrive before check-in and/or depart after check-out. Room had desk, mini fridge, table and 2 armchairs ... no coffee maker, but you'll want to be in the lobby getting tips on restaurants and sights from other travelers.

Room Tip: We booked on-line but Priscilla upgraded us at no additional cost --- probably could not happen duri...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple