WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Beresford Arms

Beresford Arms
Ranked #86 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Santa Rosa, California
“Convenient, roomy, comfortable in SF”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Excellent location - - walked to Chinatown, Little Italy, Asian Art Museum. Upgraded to giant suite with full kitchen. Charming lobby. Limited breakfast. Comfy bed, nice linens. Bath with jetted tub and bidet. Friendly staff. Small, old tv/vhs combo that worked minimally. Would stay here again without doubt.

Room Tip: The suites are very roomy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

This hotel is a little gem in the hustle and bustle of San Francisco offering Victorian charm combined with modern amenities i.e free wifi in rooms. It is not the cheapest but it certainly is a great experience. Free coffee and pastry to start your day and, after a day of site-seeing and/or shopping, there is free afternoon tea plus wine and cheese in the reception area (about 4.30 pm) which is a very nice (and welcome) touch. The bedrooms are large- the beds comfortable ( we had twin) -and the bathroom very adequate. The hotel is within walking distance of Union Square,Chinatown, Moscone Convention Centre and the Financial District - there are also lots of shops to visit and spend your money in! The famous cable cars are nearby and you can also easily visit Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39 - which we did on a few occasions, There is no restaurant but we found a very nice one about 5- 10 minutes walk down the hill and we dined th a couple of nights. Last but certainly not least - the staff were very helpful and friendly at all times. I stayed there with my husband,sister and her husband and we would all recommend this hotel and happily stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ellis1940
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

This is a very well maintained older property. We were upgraded on arrival to Room 509, which has two comfortable double beds and a nicely renovated bathroom with dual vanities and a jacuzzi tub. The room doesn't face the street, but the sound isolation isn't great -- there were some motorcycles and loud cars roaring up the hill, but it's not on Powell, so there's no cable car racket. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast and afternoon wine/cheese in the lobby are a nice touch. There's no fitness center or pool -- fitness fans can use the 0.6-mile uphill walk from the Powell St. BART station. We'd happily stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank garrym42
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel was fine. Good position for Union Square etc.
Fine as we walked home after our evening meal.
But I awoke about 2.30am, and as there were no coffee/tea making facilities in the room, I went down to reception. There was no chance of a brew there, just a "no" from reception. I said "oh, where can I get one?" and was told I would get one at an all night shop.... So, I returned upstairs to get my coat and ventured out fully acknowledged by the receptionist.
He should have warned me! He should DEFINITELY have warned me!
I walked around the short corner, and down the next street.... It is a different place at that time of night... I had no sooner gone a few yards down there, and saw a young couple being chased by a weird, wirey, bushy haired black guy. They were hurriedly proffering him a banknote (to get rid of him), which he grabbed.
I swiftly walked around the next corner and speeded up my pace. However, as I glanced back, I realised he was now running towards me... I quickened my pace to a run.... Here I am at 58 years old running away from a drugged up tramp!
The whole atmosphere was different to daytime. There were virtually no street lights, and the dark huddled figures on the pavements were all black men sleeping rough.... I was approached three times in all, before I found myself lost. OMG!
I flicked open my phone to access a map app... OMG again... as I felt lit up light a Christmas tree... So I closed it immediately, not wanting to draw attention to myself.
A black and white police car drew up near the junction, so I approached the car..... They did not like that.... And barked questions at me.... They were wary of ME! "go four blocks over and two down" they directed... then they floored the accelerator and speeded away from me.
I eventually found my way back to the hotel, but found it difficult to avoid the vagrants, as you need to cross roads at the junctions, where they tend to collect. And then there was the black car parked at the pavement side selling drugs that I had to pass. The only places lit up were decidedly seedy... It was a scary place. The least the receptionist at the hotel could have done was warn me; or the lazy get could have made me a brew surely! My advice is DO NOT GO OUT DURING THE NIGHT. If I had not had his experience, my report would have been good.
I looked up the area later to discover it is nicknamed the "Tenderloin" (as in New York) a no-go area at late hours! Look it up ....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MichaelCAR
Deer Island, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

There are cheaper possibilities (hostels $100 for double room) but this is a fine old hotel where all the comforts (upgraded by Priscilla at desk to Rm 409 w/jacuzzi tub & 2 plush queen beds!) did not detract from the elegance. We paid $109 booking.com in January, which included both morning and afternoon gatherings in the spacious lobby (free computers away in a corner, and free Wi-Fi throughout.) Breakfast at 7:30 coffee/croissants/scones/muffins with ample serve-yourself chunks of cantaloupe and honeydew, and hosted wine & cheese/crackers at 4:30. Service is very helpful and friendly, making you feel welcome from beginning to end. Importantly, there is storage space for luggage if you arrive before check-in and/or depart after check-out. Room had desk, mini fridge, table and 2 armchairs ... no coffee maker, but you'll want to be in the lobby getting tips on restaurants and sights from other travelers.

Room Tip: We booked on-line but Priscilla upgraded us at no additional cost --- probably could not happen duri...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank R0adTripper66
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I travel extensively for work, so usually avoid hotels when possible.
However my best friend scored a room at this hotel, which made it possible to attend the 49er game without the long three hour drive home.
I really lucked out as I understand they only have valet parking. One spot on the street was available and the meter was broken. Life is good.
Inside the entrance the lobby had an old world charm.
Once in the room upstairs, there was an entry way with a table and dresser, two beds with plenty of room around them, a kitchenette and in the bathroom a bidet! How fun is that? And a large bathroom to boot.
Plenty of room. The TV was no great shakes, but that's not why we were there.
A friend had given us erroneous directions to the Candlestick Park shuttle. Thank goodness we asked at the desk and caught the bus two blocks from the hotel, instead of a couple of miles away.
And if you get hungry, Pearl's Phat Burger was closed, but you can't go wrong with thai food. iThai is some of the best I have consumed recently. Fresh and plentiful. Try the crab curry if it's still available. And it is right across the street from Beresford Arms. Steam heat when it we returned.
Win-Win in my book.
And the Niners did. And will prevail in the Superbowl.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank CaliAdvice
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Decor may appear old but when looking for price for family of five it is good. Close to union square, service was good and staff helpful. Valet parking with car was also very good. Complimentary continental breakfast and happy hour was also an added bonus and cost saver. Great for price and convenient.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family