“Back Again” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #82 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Davis, CA
“Back Again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

I absolutely love this place. It doesn't have the glitz or glamor of a Hilton or some fancy dancy resort but it is comfortable, spacious, friendly and is really close to all of the Union Square action. Went for the 49er playoff game and was delighted with the service and room. There is no better value in this location. As for the noise? It's downtown San Francisco for God's sake!!! It's not the rural Smokey's What do you expect? Besides, if you really want less noise, then request an isolated room. No big deal.

Room Tip: Ask for something away from the street noise. And please don't make this request at the last min...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HattieBelle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I booked over the internet. My husband and I liked the looks of the lobby and public areas, but the rooms are awful. There is no HVAC, only radiators for heat. The day we checked in the outside temp was about 60 and the temperature inside the room must have been in the 90s! After complaining the bellboy arrived to turn off the radiator. We opened the windows and installed a fan but it was too hot to sleep.THEY WOULD NOT MOVE US TO ANOTHER ROOM! In addition to the heat, the furniture was very shabby, carpet old, and bathroom in bad repair. It was the worst night I have ever spent in a hotel in the US.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa K
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a two room Suite which was very spacious and clean and suited a family of five. The Hotel is in a good location, just a couple of blocks from Union Square and there are plenty of good eating options nearby. Our main issue with the Hotel was the street noise at night - in over 20 years of travel this is the worst we have ever come across. It's not just the traffic and sirens, but people calling out and yelling most of the night as they walked around the streets. We stayed for six nights and found it was noisy every night of the week, but particularly bad on Saturday night.

It might be OK if you had an internal room or were a very heavy sleeper, but apparently the two room suites are on the corners of the hotel. It's a pity, because the hotel has a lot of other things going for it, good value, nice staff, good location, but we would not return because of the noise.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toluca Lake
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Reasonably priced, spacious suite includes kitchen, clean. No dining room, but continental breakfast in the morning, and late afternoon tea. Location: Street noise excessive at night. Perhaps there are quieter rooms than ours. We chose it because I thought it was close to UCSF, as I was there for a surgery. Most of the people we met came from all over the globe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from street noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AnnBS
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I found this hotel after lots and lots of searching on the internet. My mom, two Uncles, my husband and I have been going away for christmas since my Grandma passed. We all have everything we need but never have time together so our gift is spending time with each other

One person in our group is a smoker. I had no idea what a challenge it would be to find a hotel with a smoking room. There were not alot of options.
This hotel had some smoking rooms.
What a great find!
good location
clean rooms
nice continental breakfast
plus wine and cheese

I have read in previous post about the breakfast. now where to sit? there was room for about 20 people
or there was nothing to eat?
nice to have coffee and pastries while waiting for everyone to get ready for the day

Also people mention the noise? Your in a city what do you expect

This was a great place to stay even though I am a non smoker I would go back.
oh and customer service was great too

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank freberd
Edmonton, AB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

We totally enjoyed our stay here - If you like place with character and charm - this is for you. We stayed in junior suite which was roomy for 3 of us. The room was clean and furnished fitting with style of the hotel. We enjoyed the continental breakfast and the wine and cheese which was offerred in the afternoon. On New Year's eve they left party hats and bottle of champagne in our room. The price is very reasonable - I booked directly with the hotel and the service was good. Very happy. I would be happy to return here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Albertatraveler
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed here with my family in July 2011 for a couple nights. The hotel is small, quaint and has the look of yesteryear. A nice decent place, for a reasonable price. The room was average with small kitchen in the corner, bathroom has a nifty bidet in it. I stayed on the first floor, which required you to go up about 6-8 steps. This was difficult for me, because this was the last stop on my trip and I had heavy luggage. The location was fairly convenient, and easy to get around. I did not attend the wine and cheese hour, but the morning breakfast was just okay. A light breakfast of coffee and danish is what was available.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family