“Perfect location and great price and have smoking rooms”
Review of Beresford Arms

Beresford Arms
Ranked #84 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I found this hotel after lots and lots of searching on the internet. My mom, two Uncles, my husband and I have been going away for christmas since my Grandma passed. We all have everything we need but never have time together so our gift is spending time with each other

One person in our group is a smoker. I had no idea what a challenge it would be to find a hotel with a smoking room. There were not alot of options.
This hotel had some smoking rooms.
What a great find!
good location
clean rooms
nice continental breakfast
plus wine and cheese

I have read in previous post about the breakfast. now where to sit? there was room for about 20 people
or there was nothing to eat?
nice to have coffee and pastries while waiting for everyone to get ready for the day

Also people mention the noise? Your in a city what do you expect

This was a great place to stay even though I am a non smoker I would go back.
oh and customer service was great too

2  Thank freberd

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We totally enjoyed our stay here - If you like place with character and charm - this is for you. We stayed in junior suite which was roomy for 3 of us. The room was clean and furnished fitting with style of the hotel. We enjoyed the continental breakfast and the wine and cheese which was offerred in the afternoon. On New Year's eve they left party hats and bottle of champagne in our room. The price is very reasonable - I booked directly with the hotel and the service was good. Very happy. I would be happy to return here.

2  Thank Albertatraveler
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed here with my family in July 2011 for a couple nights. The hotel is small, quaint and has the look of yesteryear. A nice decent place, for a reasonable price. The room was average with small kitchen in the corner, bathroom has a nifty bidet in it. I stayed on the first floor, which required you to go up about 6-8 steps. This was difficult for me, because this was the last stop on my trip and I had heavy luggage. The location was fairly convenient, and easy to get around. I did not attend the wine and cheese hour, but the morning breakfast was just okay. A light breakfast of coffee and danish is what was available.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2012

A very old, historic (almost Victorian in essence) hotel. Well located, at walking distance (4 blocks) from Union Sq. (a central touristic point to start al your sightseeing tours in SF).
It is located at the corner of Post St. and Jones St. If you turn south in Jones You’ll enter the Tenderloin (a district depicted in Will Smith’s movie “The Pursuit of Happiness”), safe to walk in any time of the day, I would not recommend to walk it at night
If you turn north, You’ll start to climb Nob Hill, the place for old mansions and high income society. A posh hotel, cathedral, very nice spot of SF, impeccable views.
The hotel has, nice rooms, but don’t go for the lower prices ones. They are small and look to an inner patio… They are not nice.
I took a suite almost right at the corner, and it was very nice. Ample bathroom, a kitchenette, a large window looking to Jones St. Room Drawbacks, the heating system must be date from the lates 1800. Hot water through radiators. Noisy. They turn it on at 6 pm and of at 10 pm. For me, that like to be almost naked, the room remained cold. We went in last days of may.
The hotel is old and not so well preserved. But is very well located, at very decent prices (one thing that SF doesn’t offer)
We went by car. From the moment you ask the valet parking to bring it, it takes at least 20 minutes to arrive. Sometimes, they’ll forget You asking. So be patient and pay attention.
Last chapter, the breakfast. I would not rather say that it has breakfast included, unless You call breakfast to self service from a pot with coffee, a pot with hot water, some tea bags selection, a basket of rolls or muffins or buns (they change the selection every day) or sometimes apples (no muffins or rolls that day). All served in the reception lobby in paper vases and paper plates, no tables, just the cushions and seats that the lobby has. A very nice reception lobby indeed. They should improve the breakfast service or not to serve it at all.

Room Tip: Don't pick the less expensive rooms. They are not nice.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have stayed at the Beresford Arms many times in past 10 years during the holidays - and it finally feels like the place needs some revitalization! We were on the 8th floor, in a stifling-hot suite. We had the bellman turn the heat off, but that did not seem to help at all. It felt like we were in grandma's attic - and the decor reflected that. The wallpaper in the room looked like it had been applied during the 50's or 60's, the bedspreads from the same era. The lobby is always beautiful at Christmas, which is why we choose to come here, once again.
This time, however, our check-out became a lesson in patience. We ended up waiting almost one hour for our car to arrive. We questioned this after 40 minutes of patiently waiting, and the front desk called the garage, only to be told that the garage had not received the first call. So, we waited another 20 minutes for the car to arrive. All in all, this left us with a very bad taste in our mouths, and I doubt we will return. There are too many other hotels of the same price downtown to risk going through this experience once again.

Room Tip: I would ask to stay on the lower floors in order to avoid the heat !!
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Well located hotel close to Union Square made it convenient for attending the convention in Moscone Center. Most of the staff was friendly but some at the front desk were a bit rigid. Regular room was just that. The suites, which some of our group stayed in, are spacious. Street noise was an issue for pretty much everyone. Nice lobby and wine social made it a great place to gather.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CladdaghBoatman
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The absolutely worst hotel I have stayed in, over the past few years. This hotel is desperately in need of some TLC. It needs some basic upgrades (air conditioning would be a nice start). The carpets are worn out and in some of the rooms, they are really disgusting. There is only one rather small elevator, so be prepared to wait for a long time each time you want to use it. The so called continental breakfast is just some croissants and cantaloupe (even motel 6 has scrambled eggs!). The bathroom doors don't lock. Finally, one of the pipes in our bathroom started leaking on our last night, and spread water all over the bathroom floor. What a wonderful feeling!

The people who work here do try their best to make you comfortable, but there is precious little that they can do.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business