“A very nice hotel in the perfect location.”
Review of Beresford Arms

Beresford Arms
Ranked #83 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Let me start by saying that in San Francisco you can go from a good block to a lousy one just by making a turn, so location is very important.

I have been many times to SF (if I didn't live in Panama, this is the city I would live) and I absolutely LOVE the city. I always try different hotels each time I visit and I think this is the best one for groups.

Upon arrival I was greeted in the counter by a very helpful fellow (I should start paying attention to their names to post them too) who made the registration process totally painless and gave me a lot of information on what to do, where to go and what to see.

The rooms that we got were very spacious, the beds were comfy, it had a very nice bathroom and a full kitchen (stove, fridge, microwave, sink, dishes and silverware). It even had a table with a couple of chairs so you can eat there. This was a treat!

There are many restaurants in walking distance (Thai, Italian, burgers, etc) and a mini market where you can purchase about anything to keep in your kitchen (we made sandwiches for our wine tour the next day).

The hotel had a complementary breakfast (very basic, but still something over nothing) and a wine and cheese from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. (sometimes extended till 6 p.m.) which was incredible. They had great wine and keep your glassed filled up all the time. This was better than going to the wineries LOL!

Part of the fun going to SF is using their public transportation system (mainly buses and cable cars). You can buy a passport for 3 or 7 days at a Walgreen's 3 blocks down in Sutter. The 7 day pass was about $24 which was a very nice deal. There are many ways to get around. We crossed the street to get the 27 bus going to Market St. and that one stopped right in front of Westfield Mall. For Fisherman's Wharf we took the 27 going north on Levenworth and then the 47 from Van Ness. Coming back was even easier taking the 47, getting off on Sutter, walking to Post and hopping on either the 2, 3 or 76. Most bus stops tell you the time the next bus is due, and that is awesome.

They do have valet parking but SF is not a driving city. You walk around and take the bus. Simple as that. But if you do have a car, expect to pay around $35 a day for parking.

I have no complaints over my choice in this hotel and I will most definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Alberto G
There are newer reviews for Beresford Arms

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

For the price this is a good pick. Hotel is quaint has a 1920s feel. Close to transportion to visit anywhere in the city. Neighborhood felt safe. Enjoyed my stay would return. Breakfast included. Stayed for two nights visited China town, wharf, Alcatraz, crazy z street

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel was located close to Union Square but in a very weird area.
It was expensive and room was dirty and noisy. Staff was not friendly and breakfast was horrible. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I could see much better ones in the same area. My worst experience with hotels in California.

Room Tip: Probably there are better rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of night with a friends, on a city break before returning to the UK.

Why would you want to stay here? The price is reasonable. The location is only a 5 minute walk from Union Square. If you like sushi, there are a couple of excellent Japanese Restaurants within a couple of blocks. The room was large and well furnished. We were "internal" so didn't suffer with street noise, but didn't have a view from the window. The Union Square car renatl locations are only a couple of blocks away, so you can drop off your vehicle and walk to the hotel. The wifi is included

Why wouldn't you want to stay here? Despite being in an old building, with lots of original features, there was no real character. The staff are going-through-the-motions.

A developer could spend a lot on money turing this place into a beautiful designer boutique hotel. When that happens, I'll no longer be able to afford to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We mhad booked a very quiet room desite previous reviews.

We arrived and 1 person on the desk, which was always the case. They had some difficulty so with the others who were checking in as we arrived so we checked our second stay in a few days time. No evidence if this stay despite our confirmed emails.

We went to our room. In the first 20 mins. there were so many sirens that knew I could not sleep there so we went back to reception, who very quickly gave us another room. Upon our check out he next morning we asked for the same room, but we had booked a junior suite, so couldn't get this.

The rooms were OK. We found that the taps in the bathroom didn't always go the same ie hot and cold were different sides or they turned the opposite way which caused a problem when I was in the shower and couldn't get to the cold tap to turn off the hot water. Rooms also smelt dusty due to work to comply with earthquake ordances.

The rooms are spacious and well presented. Location is very good. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is OK since it is free, but if you wnat more the look elsewhere. Happy hour the same, but it really is a great time to catch with others. We found over our 6 days there that some people went early to get the "better"spots. but it was still good.

Nearby, as in across the street there is a laundromat whre you can do your own or leave for a wash and fold service. Good price and efficient. The corner on the same side is a small store with basics and freindly staff. A resturant we found good was iThai across the road run by young people with a new view on Thai food an very reasonable in price. Yummy.

Staff very as helpful as you could want, although we had asked if, prior to our stay if we could leave a suitcase there between a short trip. Not a problem and were given a stubb to keep. When we arived back we presented the stub, but it took 3 goes to get ours.

Would I stay there agan? No. Its too noisey for me, but if this is not a problem, then yes. The staff, location would sell it.

If like me you like a quiet room and need a dark room then I would think again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Good luck.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice place to stay. Just a few blocks from the centre of town.The hotel is 100 years old and is very nicely laid out. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Free wi-fi in rooms. Check out the Owl Tree bar a couple of blocks down Post street.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the free breakfast unless you like to eat muffins everyday.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank taffyojones
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were warmly greeted on arrival and checked very quickly which was good as the afternoon complimentary wine and cheese was about to be served.
Our room was comfortable and quite spacious, breakfast was american style, croissants, coffee or tea, fruit and pastries.
the reception are well informed and helped with all enquiries, and helped with booking the tours, I would highly recommend the Beresford Arms.

Room Tip: we were in room 105 which was on the second floor downstairs, the bathroom has a shower cubicle with...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends