All reviewstwo blockspowell streetrooms are smallcable carcity
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I just Stayed at the Union Square Plaza Hotel last week. It's location is terrific, right iun the heart of SF.

On the other hand, the bad news is the blonde-bearded guy at the front desk. He was very rude once I came into the hotel. He has such a bad attitude and every single day my friends and I would say "Hi". He just wouldn't answer. Thank God the rest of the crew saved the vacation.

And for last, for such a low price we wasn't expecting Luxury. The other reviews are right, it is very old. At least it was clean.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2009

When I first arrived at the Union Square Plaza I was thrilled by how conveniently it is located. This enthusiasm quickly faded when I saw the hallway and, more importantly, my room. The furniture (and I guess the bed sheets) have not been changed since the 40ies and it is pretty hard to have a shower without actually touching anything. The hotel staff was rude and not very helpful and to top it all off they messed up my order for an airport cab at the end of my stay, so that I had to pay for another one while they kept my down payment for the order they had misplaced.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We stayed two nights here over the 4th of July weekend -- on the 5th floor. As others have mentioned, the hotel is very bare bones and not the cleanest place ever, but it's an unheard-of rate for a major city. We saw a roach or two, and there's definitely some dirt around the windows, in the corners, etc.

We were OK with that, for the price -- however, after the second night of our two-night stay, my husband developed itchy welts all over his arms, and he sleeps with his arms wrapped around his pillow. I didn't get any welts, it should be said, but we didn't really go anywhere else where he'd be affected by bugs or allergies or whatever, so we think there were bedbugs at the hotel. I know this is a problem sweeping most major cities in the US right now, and that cleanliness per se has very little to do with infestations, but just so you know... I would not recommend this place because of the possibility (however small) of carrying bedbugs home.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 20, 2009

If you are visiting San Francisco and are searching for the cheapest quality accomodation near the Financial District & Union Square, this hotel is the best choice.

Located within walking distance of Union Square tourist hub, Powell Street BART (Underground train network connected to Airport), this hotel offers you decent accomodation at unbelievable prices (starting US $ 49 + taxes).

Although the hotel does not have any in-house restaurant, it is surrounded by a number of restaurants, pizza outlets, coffee shops. For south asian people, a cluster of affordable Indian-Pakistani restaurants are in the nearby Jones Stree at a walking distance. You can get a full meal (thali) at US$ 6.99.

It is well connected by city municipal transport services (MUNI) including buses (route no. 38/38L), trams. Local sightseeing buses are available at at Union Square. Financial district is just a kilometer away. You can reach the hotel from airport using BART via POWELL BART station in US $ 5.65. Shared taxis can also be taken if you have lot of luggage for $ 15-18 per person.

Rooms appear to be recently renovated and offer all facilities including TV, private bath with bathtub, hair-drier etc.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank nqureshi
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I've been staying 4 nights in this hotel in February. We were three friends in a double bed room for approximately 80 US$ per night (to be divided by 3 in our case). The hotel is quite old but it's clean and the room is spacious. It's easily located one block and a half away from Union Square from which all convenient public transportation lines can be caught. Staff was nice and gives useful information if requested.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends