See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you're looking for a reasonably priced hotel in Union Square and do not care about appearance or quality, this is the place. The building is very old, as are the windows which makes for very noisy nights. The bathrooms are very tiny with the sink in the room versus inside of the bathroom. This can, however, be a benefit if you're traveling with multiple people. We received no washcloths and the towels are dingy. The elevator is creaky and often takes several minutes to get where you're going.

This hotel is great if you plan on spending very little time in the hotel, but don't expect any extra amenities, like shampoo, conditioner, coffee maker, etc.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank slwcm8
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I was a bit worried when I booked this hotel after reading the other reviews. I just needed a centrally located hotel near the Hilton for a conference, and didn't want to pay $300 a night for a room I would only be sleeping in.
When I arrived at the hotel I was very impressed by its location, a block from where I needed to be, and opposite a theatre. The front desk staff where very friendly, and as my luggage hadn't made it over with me they suggested a couple of local options for buying some essentials.
The room was clean and tidy, a little aged, but I would classify it as charming and quaint. The bed was comfortable, the TV worked well, and it had a decent size bathroom and closet. It didn't have air conditioning, but did have opening windows, and San Francisco is not exactly warm in October, so it wasn't an issue.
Everything I needed was within walking distance, fast food for late night cravings after a 16 hour flight, decent restaurants on the other side, drug store, and decent shops a few blocks away.
If you are after 5 star opulence, then pay the $350 a night down the road. If you need a clean functional room near the centre of town, this is perfect.

Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
4  Thank GeorgefromAustralia
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The hotel was in need of a face lift...was not a 4 star as advertised. On the positive side....the sheets were clean and the bathroom, although dated was clean. The noise on the street was a bit much especially on weekends, but the price was cheap for San Francisco...so you get what you pay for.

Date of stay: September 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The 1st thing that ' greets ' you is the smell , which rather resembles a body decomposing at a guess .
On entering our room it was quite apparent they've never hired a window cleaner . The wallpaper hanging off the wall was just as obvious as the window sill crumbling away .
It looked like the rust on the radiator had merely been painted over . The wooden block propping up the radiator to stop it falling off the wall was a 1st for me .
We ordered a roller bed for the room . When this eventually arrived , we had to remove some furniture to get it in . Needless to say , when we tried the door to the room it couldn't fully open .
We booked this room for 2 nights . How we managed to stay just the 1 is beyond me .
The following morning we packed our bags and checked in at the hotel 2 doors up , deciding to take a hit on our money rather than deciding to stay another night .
WORST HOTEL EVER .

Date of stay: September 2012
Reviewed September 13, 2012

This was my first trip to San Francisco, CA. We chose the hotel based on its "quaintness" and location. Loved the location and wasn't expecting a 4 star room. It was small, but adequate. Was surprised there was no refrigerator or ice machine. (The Jack in the Box nearby has a great $1 Lg. drink special - we ordered that and asked them to hold the soda!) Our room overlooked the alley and, living in Florida, we were looking forward to opening the windows. During the day, the city noises are not too overwhelming. At night, windows open or closed, you're going to hear lots of noise: street people rummaging through the trash bins for bottles or arguing amongst themselves; being jarred out of a sound sleep between 2-5 am by the trash trucks - and they don't all come on the same day; and nearby employees park their motorcycles in the alley. Windows offer no muffling of the noise, you will wake up! You WILL also be awakened each morning at 7 am by a group of protesters with bullhorns at a nearby hotel. That got us up and out early, at least the city wakes up early. We simply turned in early each night - had to in order to get some sleep before the noise started!

Room tip: Do not get a backside room!
Date of stay: August 2012