All reviewstwo blockspowell streetrooms are smallcable carcity
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I have stayed here in the past and staff is wonderful. You just can't beat the price for the location. I walked down to union square and over to Chinatown had a great lunch in Chinatown.

I highly recommend this place for a budget traveler like myself.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Onlinenick
Reviewed July 9, 2012

From previous trips, we knew that Union Square is an ideal area for touring San Francisco but we found hotels very! expensive there. Then, I found this one on tripadvisor and it was a bargain. It is a budget hotel of course, but it's a five minute walk to Union Square. There are dozens of restaurants, diners, fast food joints, etc, in the area so that was ideal.

It certainly is not fancy from the outside; my taxi driver was surprised I was going there. But it's fine, really. Check in went smoothly; I arrived in the morning so they held my luggage for a few hours while I took a bus tour. The room (709) was quite large with a large bathroom with tub/shower ... the sink was in the bedroom area. (Only a few bars of soap and a hair dryer are provided. This is NOT a Hilton.) Certainly not fancy but clean and comfortable with a big desk, ideal for my computer.

The Wi-Fi ($5 extra) worked fine once I figured out which of the Union networks I was supposed to use. A bit more advice from the front desk would have been useful.

From this room the view is of rooftops but it was very quiet (high up and not facing the street). There is no control of heat from the room and to me, it seemed like they ran the heat warmer than necessary but it was surprisingly cool weather. No idea if they have air conditioning. Did not notice any evidence of that.

My wife might have turned her nose up at this hotel but she would have been happy once she realized that it was half the price of *anything* better. (I was on business this time without her, with some time off for touring.) I don't know what the story is re: parking; I did not have a car on this trip.

So, if you are not expecting something fancy, and if you don't mind walking a couple of blocks further than from the really expensive hotels, this place should be fine. Clean, comfortable, great location, and surprisingly affordable even in July.

Room Tip: The higher level floors probably get less street noise, although Geary St. did not seem very noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Peter_K_B_Toronto
Reviewed July 9, 2012

When you're in SF you don't spend any time in your hotel, you are out and about enjoying the sights of the city. This hotel is located 1 block from Union Square. It's 5 minutes from Chinatown, another few minutes to the Ferry Building and the Embarcadero.
The rooms are similar to many I've stayed at while touring Europe. Small, no frills but less than half the price of neighboring hotels.
I travel back and forth to SF from Chicago and always stay here. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean and immediate area is full of plenty to do. You can see a show at the Curran or the ACT, which are directly across the street or you can do some world class shopping at Union Square. BART is just 3 blocks away and several bus stops are within a block or two so you have access to the city and entire Bay area within minutes.
If you are the type that needs a piece of chocolate on your pillow, a coffer maker in your room and a refrigerator, this isn't the place for you. If you prefer to save $50 - $100 a night over that type of hotel, make a reservation now!

Room Tip: A hotel down the street gets picketed by union workers at 7AM most days. If you want to sleep past then you will want an interior room. They tend to be smaller but quieter. Trust me, I've stayed in almost every room over the past 2 years.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank khub79
Reviewed July 8, 2012

we booked this hotel for one night on our way to LA. We booked a room with 4 beds and 1 extra bed and arrived the hotel at the evening.
the man at the desk told us we don't have 5 beds and he can not give us mattresses because they don't have.
He then offered us a second room which will cost us more then the 109.00$ we planned to pay.
The second room was awful, dirty with no tap at the bathtub.
we had to wash ourselves with a glass cup.
DO NOT GO THERE EVER.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Movtal
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

We do not have 5 bed rooms and we do not advertise that we have 5 bedrooms so the guest was well aware when he booked his room online that there is no way we have 4 bedrooms plus 1 extra. As for the second room bathroom tap guest should know how to operate as all our bathrooms are in fully working conditions unless they do not know how to operate the pull for the shower to come on.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was not the greatest hotel but was by the cheapest in this nice area of town. The room was small and the bathroom was very tiny. The desk people were very friendly and helpful heck at 3:45AM the front desk guy went out into the middle of the street and flagged a taxi down for us. I would stay there again because I'm single but would not stay there with a family.

Room Tip: Higher floor are better to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends