“They overcharged me by $300”
Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #97 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
“They overcharged me by $300”
Reviewed March 15, 2006

First of all the hotel is ok, but it is not that great and there is NO fresh air from the windows... also no fan either you have to heat or cool the room for ventilation...

I reviewed my credit card and these guys overcharged me by $300! First they charged me $125 for the room/night versus the quoted $89, AND they , post facto after checking out, charged me a $200 "deep cleaning fee"!

For what, that is nuts? I staid there with my pet and unlike the other hotel we had stayed at the hotel did NOT inspect the room while we were there checking out... I figured that might be a ploy to try to make up fees later after the guest (and pet) have departed.... That seems to be exactly what happened here! My warning..STAY AWAY!

• Stayed February 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2006

We have just returned from San Francisco on Mar.13th.
I just read the review from Mar. 5 and I want to say it says it all. The Serrano was well kept, quiet & it was a great place to stay. All the staff was genuine & helpful. It has the amenities as listed. I did put my cosmetic bag on the bathroom counter & my husband kept his in the closet until he needed it. But it was a small inconvenience!!
It is a wonderful place to stay, convenient to everything & clean. We were in a room with 2 double beds & it was fine.
I would definitely recommend the hotel for anyone-single or families!!

• Stayed March 2006
2 Thank cheekymonkey
Reviewed March 4, 2006

I have traveled extensively for business for the last two decades and belong to several hotel group frequent guest programs. I've stayed at Westins, Four Seasons, Ritz Carltons, Pan Pacific Hotels, and Intercontinentals as well as small hotels in Europe and on the complete opposite end of the spectrum there have been the occassional Holiday Inns and the like.

I also know San Francisco quite well and am there a few times every year. This trip was last minute and I could not get into the usual St. Francis or W or Palace due to the convention having them all booked.

The Serrano was on the convention hotel list and the day before the convention a room did open up for $199 a night. The price without a convention in town, I understand, would be $149 and I'm sure much less for travelers able to use priceline or similar sites. For this location in this city, and the quality of the accommodations here, you just cannot beat this hotel for the price.

I don't know where to begin. The location is perfect, a 2 minute walk from Union Square with it's transportation and everything else and about 15 minutes at most to the Moscone center. The lobby is absolutely beautiful but small enough to feel like a vey large living room, especially during the free coffee service from 5 a.m to 10 a.m. daily and the free evening wine reception.

It's great fun to talk to and meet other people during these times and I imagine for the single recreational traveler this would be quite a plus.

The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, unlike say, the St. Francis which has suffered a severe drop in service points with me during the past few years. At the Serrano, if you have a whim they will make every effort to indulge it. When I emerged from the taxi in front a bellman was there, immediately asked my name, and has remembered it ever since (I'm still here as I write). The front desk staff upon check in were joking and so friendly that I felt like I was coming to visit my cousins or friends who I have known forever.

My room is slightly small, but has a king bed with desk large enough to spread my work out on, a well-stocked minibar, and is beautifully decorated. The bathroom is quite small with powder-room sized sink and toilet, but also beautifully appointed with leopard bathrobe and Aveda toiletries. The tub is deep, although a bit more narrow than average. If an extremely large person wanted to take a bath rather than shower it may be problematic. But some rooms here do have jacuzzi tubs for two. There is little space to put your own toiletry kits but that's fine, I put mine on the floor under the sink. Small inconvenience considering everything else. Everything is spotlessly clean.

I am on a higher floor and asked for a quiet room but since the windows are double paned I don't think lower floor rooms would have a noise problem. I can't even hear sirens going by. I see them but can't hear them. Today I worked in my room all morning and did not hear the housekeeping staff banging around in the rooms next to me. Didn't hear them rumbling through the hall. But they must have because when I finally left at noon, all the rooms on the floor had been done and they were just waiting for me. There is a couple with a toddler of I would say almost two, across the hall. I have seen her at the elevator, I've seen her in the lobby, I've never heard her once while in my room, morning or night.

The bed is extremely comfortable with feather pillows and mattress topper for softness. The heat/ac works well and is not loud. I have heard extremely little noise from the rooms on the other sides of my walls and have been here three days. I have heard no one else's tv, alarm clock, or phone. And I know there are people in those rooms.

For the business traveler, if you worry that you will miss some amenities you are used to at the bigger more expensive chains-don't! The HUGE plusses for business are the FREE high speed internet in every room and the business center where there are computers in case yours dies, also with free internet, and get this folks: FREE printer and fax. No charge at all. The business center is small but so is the hotel so it's not crowded. You needn't go searching for a place or pay to print something, just take your disk or memory stick downstairs and you can print. Oh yes, the little business center is open 24 hours! There is also an iron and ironing board, essential for the business person, and a cordless phone which is nice.

The only drawbacks I see for business purposes is the lack of a coffemaker in the room and the fact that room service and the restaurant are not 24-hour and both open at 7 a.m. So, if you have a very early meeting and have to leave before that, at least you can have coffee from the lobby beginning at 5 a.m. But, since there is the minibar you can always walk the half block to Walgreens and buy your breakfast yogurt and apple or danish or whatever and keep it in your room for the next day.

For any kind of traveler, the other interesting plusses are the yo-yo, mini etch-a-sketch, cards, and puzzle games in the room. They are open and free to use, you only pay if you take them with you. Also each room is furnished with an oversized umbrella, also free as long as you don't take it home. There are games in the lobby as well and the front desk stocks a large number of board-type games you can borrow for FREE-great for families. And for couples, well, they do offer Twister and well, um, given the size of my particular room the only place I can imagine putting the Twister mat would be um, atop the king-sized bed. Ahem. ok enough of that.

There is a small, but adequate fitness room with two treadmills, two recumbant bikes, free weights, and a universal machine. It is well-stocked with towels, reading material, water, and a nice plasma tv on the wall. Everytime I checked in there, it wasn't crowded, maybe one other person. Oh yes, and unlike most OTHER hotel fitness rooms, this one is open 24 hours. And of course, it is FREE.

I keep being astounded at the FREE internet and business center. Those bigger expensive chains charge an arm and a leg for these things and dopes that we are, we pay it because we think we need it so badly. Well, now that I know it can be had for FREE.....

This hotel is fond of yoga and you may watch the instructional 24-hour yoga channel on the television, do the relaxing yoga poses detailed in the booklet on your desk, or for a very reasonable fee, get a yoga basket with mat/yoga pillow etc from the front desk. For a fee, they also offer in room massage, manicure, pedicure.

If traveling with children you may want to ask the size of the rooms that have two double beds as putting a rollaway in the room I have for just one child would be rather cramped, I think. But it could be done.

In a few reviews I read here that helped me decide to book the Serrano, people complained of the location-well, everyone who has been to this city a couple of times knows not to walk too far past Taylor St. from Union Square or else you are in the Tenderloin but really, I am female and am quite comfortable walking back to the Serrano at 11 p.m. alone as I am coming from the direction of Union Square. But I know the city pretty well. Yes, there are tons of homeless in the Union Square area and there always have been but they are harmless and this is where the tourist or business person wants to be. They are outside the hotels that cost $400 a night too. I never give them money BUT, when coming back from a business dinner I always ask for a box for my leftovers and as I don't plan to stuff them into my little minibar, I give them to one of the homeless people. I've never had one single person refuse or not be extremely delighted.

The hotel restaurant, Ponzu, has a small menu but the asian-fusion dinner entrees are fantastic-they do border on the Thai in terms of spicy so keep that in mind. There are so many other fantastic restaurants at every price range within a few blocks that no one should have any problem finding something to suit.

The only complaint I have, is that I did once have breakfast at Ponzu and the service was extremely slow. Perhaps they were short-staffed or something. But, having said that, I must mention that my waitress bent over backwards to explain every tiny delay ("I'm sorry I think we are out of grapefruit juice it will take me a minute to check," "I apologize, but that table over there has been waiting longer and as soon as I get their meals from the kitchen I will check on how yours is coming,") and she was constantly freshening my coffee "so it doesn't get cold on you" and so forth. So that made up for the slowness.

I write for a living and do tend to go on but really, I've never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before but definitely now want to try them all. The Serrano is rated as a four-star but I would say it deserves a 4.5.

I sometimes come to San Francisco for fun, not work, and after staying here I think I would rather spend $149 a night to stay here than to use my frequent guest points and stay at the St. Francis for free. The Serrano is that pleasant!I just can't say enough.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 21, 2006

Stayed at Hotel Serrano for 5 nights (Jan. 06). Location is a block or two off of Union Square--ideal for first-time visitors and returnees like me. The suites and exec. king rooms(we peeked in a few) were well laid out, not huge but not small. Our suite had a decent sized living room with a view of the city and a peek of the bay far, far away, very nice to wake up to. The bathroom tub was large, but the bathroom was small and had no counter space (we moved a table in from the living room). This hotel is part of Kimpton chain, with fun bathrobes and Aveda bath amenities in our room. The 24 hour dry sauna was delightful (there's also a small gym and 2 computer terminals for web browsing. Wine was served at 5pm in the lobby, but only pretzels to nibble on. Morning coffee and tea was a nice touch. Staff was helpful and accomodating. We had a B&B package that provided an OK (not exciting) continental breakfast at the adjacent restaurant. The only drawback is that the cost of parking (adjacent to hotel or at a different lot across the street) is very costly ($30 per 24 hours). THere is no available neighborhood parking so if you are driving there, be forewarned .

8 Thank rmwhitt
Reviewed December 26, 2005

Stayed with my boyfriend, parking fee is insane! We should have definitely walked from the lot across the street but it was raining and we were sort of taken by the bellman who revealed that the two lots surrounding the hotlel were $31 after tax and that there's was just $38...when we got the bill for nearly $45 it was obvious their sell tactic. I work at a hotel so I should have known better! Funny that when I got my car back, my driver window was all the way down and would not roll up. (think they said anything when I tipped him) No, so I drove most of the way home while it rained and a broken window that wouldn't roll up for the life of me.

The city itself is beautiful and urban and everything you expect it to be. I definitely recommend taking hand sanitizer with you, especially if you use public transportation, as I broke out with a horrible cold sore almost immediatly.

One thing they have going for them is the staff which are super friendly, and even better they know what they're doing. The gal at check out didn't even bat an eye when we had her split our bill up using different credit cards.

The room is so small I still can't believe it. Nicely appointmed but, WOW, that is a small space! Thank god we didn't pay for the $100 upgrade as we would have been broke after the parking fee. The windows don't open either which is a drag.

• Stayed December 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Monterey, CA
Reviewed December 26, 2005

Just got back from the Serrano with my girlfriend. Here is the good:

-Nicely decorated room
-Helpful Staff sans a rogue bellman :)
-Decent location, I know some people were wary of the neighborhood, but everyone we met around the hotel could not have been nicer.
-Good view from our room. 16th floor was cool!
-Extremely easy check-in and check-out process. The lady checking us out was very patient with us as well.
-Honor bar prices actually somewhat reasonable!

Now, the bad:

-If it had not been for the parking charge, I would have given the Serrano 4 stars. First off, we saw some of the other places were a little cheaper then the hotel...until the bellman made it seem like it would be about the same price to park at the hotel. Silly us, we work in the industry and should not have been "hosed" like we were, but oh well. Long story short, we ended up paying a total of $44 (Bellman didn't mention the tax or anything, of course) to have the privilege of parking. Oh well, it happens.

-The rooms are SO small. I'm certainly not a prude by any means in terms of room size, but this was kind of ridiculous. They make phenomonal use of the room but the size is just unacceptable. Plus, the whole time I was there, I did not see another guest anywhere in the hotel. Again, I work in the hotel and if it is a slow night, open up a couple of your suties and try to get some repeat business. It certainly would have taken the bad taste of the parking charge out of my mouth.

Anyway, if you do not have a car and need a decent place to stay for the night by yourself I would recommend it.

However, if you have any sort of vehicle or need a room with any sort of size, do not bother with the Serrano.

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank LoveMinus0
Reviewed December 23, 2005

I stayed here for four nights in December. Arrived about Noon and was thankful to be able to check in. Nice quiet room. Great value thru Expedia. Local newspaper and USA Today delievered about 5:30 each morning. Picked up the WSJ each morning in the lobby. Great coffee and tea in the lobby starting about 5am and the wine was served from 5-6pm each evening. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business