“WONDERFUL EXPERIANCE!”

Ranked #93 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 11, 2005

Called beforehand to have them put rose petals on the bed. They did it for only the price of the roses ($12). The colors in the room were magnificent... the most nicely decorated hotel room I've ever stayed in. It was nice to stay in a hotel that really showed the heritage of San Francisco. Everyone in the hotel was really nice and helpful with giving us directions. There was a doorman that greeted us every time we came in. The location is great. There is a great tiny breakfast place across the street that we went to every morning. They had great prices and made specially for me french toast with fresh strawberries and whipped cream on top! Had a wonderful time at the Serrano!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Serrano Hotel

Reviewed January 24, 2005

Decor was great, complimentary wine hour was very fun, games were everywhere, neat decor in room. The room was on the small side, but had everything you needed - plus it was clean and very nicely decorated. The only problem we had was that our reservation through orbitz wasn't on file with the hotel. But that was not a problem b/c they had availability.

Reviewed November 15, 2004

Our stay at the Serrano couldn't have been better. I must have spent 4 months trying to find a hotel searching tripadvisor reviews. We wanted an economical hotel that didn't sound like it was falling apart and was close to the cable cars. I am very picky and have never stayed in a B&B or a motel. As a result I was afraid of trying a B&B in SF. The Serrano was perfect. It's just as pretty as the pictures show and the staff was extremely nice. EVERY time we went in or out, we were asked if we needed help or needed a car, you name it. I also noticed one review in reference to discrimination. Perhaps this has changed because I saw colored customers and they were treated no different. The front desk employee was also colored and she was extremely helpful. There is also a nice amount of staff available. I highly recommend this hotel. The cable cars are a quick walk away and there's a great parking garage directly across from the hotel's front door that's $18-24 per day. I got the hotel for $119 for a queen bed room on Expedia. Oh, and the room was very nice and really roomy. Maybe the doubles are crowded but our 1 queen bed room was great.

4  Thank CrisSofi
Reviewed November 2, 2004

Arrived on a busy night, the room was allocated was next to a lift with noisy neighbours, when request for relocation was eventually agreed to the next room was also unacceptable, someone had been ill & the room required a very good "airing" prior to next occupation. Eventually allocated a smoking room (we are non smokers) but were tired and accepted under duress.
Moved the next day & was content for remainder of visit.
Doormen are exceptional, very informative.
Very good location, 2 blocks Union Sq, short walk Market Street.
Breakfast staff very surly to the point of rudeness & food uninviting, go a block round the corner to Max's (recommended by Abdul the doorman), a restaurant I would recommend to anyone!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 27, 2004

At the Serrano from Oct. 17-21. Got a very good price on Priceline. Hotel clerk very friendly. Asked for and received a single smoking room up high, on the 14th floor. It was a corner room with a good view of the skyline. When I asked at check-in where I could watch the telecast of my beloved Steelers, the clerk said someone would call my room. Five minutes later Chad called, told me, and when I saw him in the lobby, he directed me to the sports bar a block and 1/2 away. Thereafter, I was referred to by name. The room was well appointed with a good view, plenty of room for a single person,immaculate bathroom with LARGE towels,and impressive soaps and lotions, bathrobes for use, two papers every morning...The S.F. Chronicle and USA Today..., tea and coffee in the lobby every morning, and free wine between 5 and 6pm. Just a short walk to Union Square, and to Powell Street where the cable car turns around and one can catch BART to the airport. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank homer218
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed October 18, 2004

When we called for a confirmation, which all three reservationists said did not exist, we were rudely addressed and cooly referred to the on-line agency that had made the original booking. Hotel.com had our reservation dates correctly and after calling the Serrano and discovering THEY had the wrong dates we decided that a conference call with the hotel was necessary. During the conference call we were treated to no fewer than three uncaring, hostile individuals. Each attempt to clarify our situation was met with, "I really couldn't say", "We didn't make a mistake" and finally"I connected you with reservations. Apparently they are away from the desk so just leave a voice message. I don't handle these issues and they're busy." This entire event took over an hour and finally we simply chose another hotel.
On the positive side....THANK YOU HOTEL----!! AND ESPECIALLY AMY.....
Lillian

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 12, 2004

I saw the hotel online and was impressed with the photos. I was even more impressed seeing it in person. Gorgeous! The only gripe I have is with the staff (except for the doormen who were very nice and helpful…Thanks guys!!)

The first staff person at the check in desk was snobby, but I was excited about the hotel so I didn’t pay her much attention. The next day we went out and came back to ask about any near-by car rental places. The person we encountered at the desk gave a very obvious “you’re not good enough to be here look” while spitting out a snooty “can I help you?” Again I ignored it and asked about the car rental. He didn’t know. The helpful gentleman manning the front door did. By the way, the car rental place was only a couple of blocks away.

Then our hot water went cold. We called the front desk and got the same “helpful” clerk. He said someone would come to take a look, but no one did and the hot water didn’t come back. The staff turned a great hotel into a bad time. Too many other great hotels in San Fran to deal with their bad manners.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member