“Great location and service, just noisy rooms.”
Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #98 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great location and service, just noisy rooms.”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Overall it was a great business stay. I wouldn't recommend it if you are a light sleeper.

Pros: location, comfy beds, ease of getting transportation, lobby refreshments, restaurant on site, free wifi

Cons: rooms too small for families, ac/heating unit too loud

• Stayed March 2014
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
We are very happy to hear that our team took great care of you and that you loved our location. We are sorry for any inconvenience you felt due to noise. We are always striving to improve, and your comments help us know what we need to focus on, thank you. We hope to see you again when you next visit San Francisco.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I was greeted when I arrived by the doors swinging open. Not ostentatiously, but politely, and I was greeted by the doormen and then the folks at the front desk. No one was over-the-top cheery or effusive, which I appreciate. (Just be real, and it's great.) I received just enough information on the place from the desk, and my questions were answered quite clearly. My room was small, but cozy and nicely appointed, very cutely decorated, and CLEAN, clean, clean! I LOVED staying here, which isn't something I say about every reasonably priced hotel. I highly recommend staying here if you want a nice, cozy, friendly place at a great price, right near the heart of SF. The restaurant downstairs was OUTSTANDING, and the wait staff just incredibly professional and polite. The food was GREAT.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Wow! Thank you for the fantastic review; you’ve made our day! We are thrilled that you loved your stay with us. We fully agree; Jasper’s Corner Tap & Kitchen is delicious! We hope to see you again when you next visit San Francisco.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I chose this hotel based on its location and price. I was doing a trip to San Francisco on a budget so when I booked this hotel I wasn't expecting anything much, however I was surprised.

I had a queen room which was pretty small, yet comfortable and cosy. The room had a lovely queen bed with a desk, built in closet, bathroom and a unit with a TV and mini bar in.
The decor might not be to some peoples taste, but the room was clean and how much time do you actually spend in the hotel to worry about how it's decorated?!
The room had a good amount of plug sockets- for some reason I find some hotels have plug sockets in odd locations or just not very many of them.
I've read some people suffered with noise, my room was fairly high up and this definitely helped to reduce any outside noise. Otherwise only one night there was a large party coming in from a night out and this did wake me, but that's all.
The bathroom was very small, but everything worked and it was clean. I think a small bathroom is to be expected from a city hotel though.

The staff at the hotel were very kind and useful. Upon check in they were chatty and every morning as we walked through somebody would say hello.
The doormen were generally always there to open doors for you or assist you if needed.
On our last day the hotel stored our luggage from 10am-5pm for free of charge which was very helpful!

The location of the hotel is a big bonus! I found it was in walking distance of many places or if not the subway was only about a 10 minute walk away.

Overall I loved the Serrano and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Possibly ask for a room higher up to avoid outside noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily J
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel! Thank you for taking the time to complement our amazing team. We will be sure to pass your praise along; we know it will make everyone smile! We can’t wait to see you when you next visit San Francisco.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel a while ago for a stay in march 2014, I booked it specifically a because it was in the kimpton chain and I like their hotels a lot.

When I arrived, I find it's no longer in the group and I think it's fairly obvious why! It was much tireder and shabbier than any of the kimptons we've stayed in before and, disappointingly, the wine reception has disappeared and the toiletries are of an inferior brand.

The location was ok, though you need to watch where you walk at night as it only takes one block in the wrong direction to end up in a seedy area. Otherwise, it's brilliant for access to shops and public transport.

Staff were friendly and helpful and they quickly reversed a charge for a 'resort' fee that I questioned (so, what kind of resort is it anyway?) as I had not been aware of it while booking.

Overall, I felt I had paid kimpton rates for a hotel well below that standard and as such would hesitate to recommend this.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We are very sorry that our hotel did not live up to your expectations. We are committed to making this hotel better than it’s ever been, and your honest review is invaluable to our reaching that goal. We will take all of your comments into careful consideration, thank you. For your future reference, our Urban Fee includes; morning coffee, car service to the financial district M thru F mornings, local phone calls, access to the business center and high speed Wi-Fi. We hope to see you again in the future; we are confident we can wow you with our ongoing improvements.
ESCALANTE
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I should have asked about parking before I booked. The hotel only has valet parking which cost $40 a night. The garage next to it is only $30. My corner room was a little noisy with traffic, sirens and car alarms but did quiet down after midnight. The room heating and cooling system was also load. The homeless people are friendly and one advised me which directions I should and should not walk at night.

This old hotel has been nicely refurbished and small but comfortable. There is no in room coffee.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank CINDY C
We are very sorry you are unhappy with your recent stay at our hotel. We would love for you to reach out to us personally at john.sevilla@serranohotel.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We had a nice corner room. The only thing I didn't like was that it was intercommunicated with the room next door and this makes always a bit noisy. We could hear the guest next door talking, going to the bathroom etc. but in general the room was clean, comfortable and cosy. The staff was very friendly and breakfast in the bar was very good.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xabierferm
It is great to hear that you found our team friendly and our hotel comfortable and clean. We apologize for any inconvenience noise from outside of your hotel room caused. We hope to see you again when you next come to San Francisco.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My room was a bit smaller than my colleagues, but it served its purpose for the 4 nights that I was there. It is within walking distance to the Moscone Center, but it was a long walk. Walking back to the hotel, the closer you got, the more homeless people you will run into sleeping or asking for money on the sidewalks. It didn't bother me, but I mention it just in case it would bother you. The neighborhood is right on the border of the Tenderloin district. The front desk told us not to go in that direction, so of course we did, just to check it out, lots of homeless people, lots of drugs, lots of people that should probably be on some sort of medication.
The staff was great, always greeting us at the front door, the front desk crew were wonderful, the cleaning staff even offered to open my door when I was coming back to my room with my hands full.
Being on the 10th floor meant that the chances of getting an elevator quickly were really good. I never had to wait more than a minute for an elevator. Oh, and the elevators are fast.
The room was small, with very little sitting accommodations for small gatherings. The bathroom was very small, with no counter top. I had to leave everything on my desk. Very cramped in the commode area, especially for a bigger person.
My room needed some modernization, for example, it still had a big TV cabinet, with a flat screen in it, if they put a lower profile one in, it would make the room look larger. I was given a key to the honor bar, but there was no way of locking it, it had a tray of overpriced "stuff", and a stocked mini refrigerator with no door to lock the "stuff" up.
WIFI worked fine, no issues at all.
If you stay here, take advantage of the attached restaurant/bar.

Room Tip: My room overlooked OFarrell St, and you pretty much hear everything going on both on OFarrell and Ta...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jenny K, Guest Relations Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
It is fantastic to hear that our team took excellent care of you. We are sorry that the room felt a bit small to you; we will take your comments and suggestions into careful consideration, thank you. Your tips are wonderful, and we now future guests will be grateful. We are happy that you enjoyed Jasper’s Corner Tap & Kitchen; they always deliver a fun time and a happy tummy! We hope to see you again when you next visit San Francisco.