“Great location and Staff”
Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #97 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great location and Staff”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Only a few blocks to Union Square. Great restaurant located at hotel, Jasper's. Bathrooms are small, but it is an older property. Nice leopard robes in the closet. Staff very friendly and helpful. Quiet location in the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Weezee42-
We are so happy you enjoyed our property, location, and Jasper’s Corner Tap! We look forward to your return… Thank you for the review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
East Coast
Reviewed November 5, 2013

This was my first stay at a Kimpton and won't be my last. When I arrived, the staff went out of their way to remember my name and greet me as I came and went. (unfortunately, that ended when the staff changed... but it was wonderful while it lasted) My room was comfortable and nicely decorated. Loved the "raid the bar" perk, wine hour, and the decent quality toiletries; not a fan of the basic showerhead mounted 7 feet high (but good water pressure!) and limited counter/storage space in the bathroom. Also, minor quibble, but for being an eco-friendly hotel, they gave me 3 sets of towels, which I presume all would be replaced when I left even though I only used 1 set - not exactly "green" -- and there is an in-room recycling bin (yay!) but no indication of what should be recycled (only plastic bottles vs. all plastic, etc).

After researching this hotel, I was a bit concerned about the neighborhood. On the plus side, the location was close to Union Square shopping and the cable cars and streetcars. The neighborhood behind the hotel looked pretty sketchy and you will encounter some "colorful" characters on the nearby streets. That said, I encountered homeless people in many parts of San Francisco, including Fisherman's Wharf, and it is diagonally across the street from a huge, bustling Hilton, so I wouldn't rule out this location based on that.

Green Features: They gave me 3 sets of towels, which I presume all would be replaced when I left even though I only used 1 set - not exactly "green" -- and there is an in-room recycling bin (yay!) but no indication of what should be recycled (only plastic bottles vs. all plastic, etc).
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Laney02
SerranoSF, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Laney02-
Another Kimpton convert! I am so glad you discovered us and were able to enjoy our “Raid-the-Bar” and Wine Hour perks! Thank you for highlighting our convenient location. Kimpton is growing everyday… be sure to check out our other many hotels and restaurants! Safe travels.
edinburgh
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights with my husband as part of a trip around California and also to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. When we checked in the receptionist congratulated us on our anniversary and asked if we would like a complimentary bottle of red or white wine, which I thought was really nice. Our room was high up with a very comfortable king size bed and a nice view of the city. It was pretty small, but not too surprised as I had read previous reviews on Tripadvisor. However, it was lovely and quiet. This hotel is in the bottom range for Kimpton Hotels but the price definitely reflects that. I thought it was a very clean, friendly hotel in a great location for Union Square, but it could definitely do with renovation. However, this did not spoil our stay in any way whatsover, we were hardly ever in our room. Would recommend if looking for a budget hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SerranoSF, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
karenpEdinburgh-
Thank you for your review! I am very pleased to hear that you both enjoyed our handy location, super-comfy beds, and downtown vistas as part of your California anniversary tour. Safe travels home!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Hotel is fine, part of the Kimpton chain, on the borders of the Tenderloin district so quite a few down and outs around the corner. If you take the main streets away from Union Square this is not an issue at all.

Not one of their more modern hotels. Two small dated lifts to the accommodation floors. Great bedroom but let down by a dated bathroom with a shower head which must have been 20 years old and a smaller than average bath. In need of a power shower!

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors so you are away from the noisy bar on the ground floor
Green Features: Top notch as this is a strength of the Kimpton chain
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Martin P-
Thank you for staying with us! Glad to hear you enjoyed our bedrooms. We hope you travels allow us to welcome you back soon. Thank you.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

An attractive hotel with a welcoming stylish lobby. The rooms are on the smallish side but adequate with a comfortable bed. Seemingly endless list of complimentary items available if you've forgotten it. Free early morning tea/coffee available in the foyer and free wine evening 5 -6pm (we only managed it once). Excellent customer service,

Well located close to Union Square.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank brenda p
brenda p-
Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I am very happy that you enjoyed our location and service! And yes, “Forgot It? We've Got It!”… we try to cover just about everything a traveler may need! Have a great one!
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed five nights at this hotel and were very pleased with the service, location, and rooms. We got a free upgrade upon arrival! You are steps away from shopping and great dining choices. The rooms are very comfortable; the bathroom is small, but manageable; if you have a hanging toiletry bag I would highly recommend using that as there is minimal space. This is a boutique hotel, so it's not very modern, however cozy and welcoming. The coffee in the morning is excellent; they keep it well stocked all morning. It is convenient having water available all day. The wine reception is a lovely touch. We got an excellent deal on this hotel through hotels.com; used a 10% off coupon and got the room for $178 a night and for this area of san fran, I felt we did well. We would stay here again. Thank you to all the staff for their great service!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JandC07-
Awesome! So glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed our property (and wine hour!). We will definitely pass on the kudos to our team. Looking forward to your next visit! Thank you.
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I would say this was above average for a city hotel. The staff was great and I enjoyed the bar. Decent sized room with a comfortable bed. Some stuff didn't work, but they were very responsive (replaced TV within 10 minutes). Lukewarm shower in the am was my only real issue.
Very interesting area with lots of street people, so be prepared for some conversations...thats SF.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Hi, basil409 -

Thanks for taking the time to post a review about your recent trip to SF and the Serrano! I'm so glad that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us! We're really sorry about the water temperature problem, and can assure you our engineering team got right on that as soon as we discovered the issue! I'm so happy they were able to get TV up and running quickly, as well. We hope you'll visit us (and our eclectic neighbors) again soon!