“Gem of a hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Abbotsford, Canada
“Gem of a hotel”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Booked by accident on priceline. When I got to the hotel I loved it. The lobby was beautiful and my room was huge. Every evening the hotel had a lovely wine reception where you got to meet people from all over the world on their vacations. It is in a great shopping district and close to all transit. Loved this place.

Room Tip: Request room 1513 or any room that is situated right by the elevator. Apparently all these rooms are...
2 Thank goldensandra
SerranoSF, Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Don't you just love those accidents that turn out to be great choices, goldensandra? I'm so glad to hear that fate (or Priceline!) brought you our way. Thanks so much for the glowing review - we're really happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Serrano. Now, the next time you're coming to San Francisco you can skip the game of chance and just come straight to us! Safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Pros: attractive, clean, friendly staff

Cons: on the border of tenderloin, poor wifi, pricey and no breakfast (but both the last two are standard for san fran)

We stayed for four nights at the hotel in sept 2013. We paid ~£180 per night for a double room.

On the one hand, this hotel is in a great location. It is only a block from the union square drop off for rental cars - we were with alamo and only had to walk a block after dropping our car which was amazing. Also, the hotel is really close to union square and the shops around there, the start of one of the cable car lines and the BART station. However, the hotel is also right on the edge of the tenderloin district - we knew this before we went and we are not the kind of people who are unnerved easily but even we were a bit uneasy walking down some of the streets nearby. Essentially if you turn left down taylor or go straight down o'farrell out of the hotel its fine, but if you go right (ie south on taylor) or back on yourself (west) down o'farrell things start to get pretty startling pretty quickly. With this little bit of local knowledge we would have been fine and I think it would have been useful for someone at the hotel to mention / have made us aware of this but essentially we took a wrong turn on our first outting out of the hotel and wondered whether we had made a dreadful mistake with hotel choice!

In the end we hadnt - the hotel was really clean, modern and attractive. Our room was great - again clean, bed was really comfortable, cable tv, air con and safety deposit box. We were on the top floor (17th) which was fine - we had a bit of a view and were away from any potential road noise. The only problem we had with the room was the wifi -its free but in our room it was terrible! The only place we could get workable reception was right next to the door to our room so had to hover there if we wanted to use it.

Otherwise, the staff were really friendly and welcoming. The hotel has free wine reception for guests each day (which we never managed to make it along too) and offers complimentary tea / coffee in the morning. However, they dont do breakfast and the place downstairs, although it looked great, was also a bit pricey so we found other things close by to grab something. Last thing to mention is the price - this was by far and away the most expensive place we stayed in our 3 weeks in cali but I think its reasonably standard for san fran - i'm glad we paid extra to stay in the centre of town rather than have to travel in each day.

Overall we really enjoyed san fran and this hotel. I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone staying in san fran - just with a warning about making sure you know which way to walk out the hotel (and would probably ditch the car - it was ~$40 per night to use the valet parking at the hotel)!

4 Thank Jen_and_Dave86
Hi Jen_and_Dave86,

Thanks for taking the time to review the Serrano after your recent stay! I'm so glad to hear that the location worked well for you - we're close to pretty much everything! And true, that includes the tenderloin district - I'm terribly sorry we forgot to give you a heads up about which way to go. But I'm glad to hear that the room was comfortable for your stay - and we'll have our engineering team check out that wi-fi, to see if the signal strength can be increased in the room at all, thank you for the feedback!

I hope you had fun in California, and more specifically in our great city! We hope to see you both the next time you're in San Francisco!
Rockford
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has character...rooms are small, but thoughtfully appointed. Beds Are comfortable. Mini bar is nicely stocked with a wide variety, as is snack tray. Robes supplied made us smile. Rooms were quiet,service professional, and efficient.
Minor hassles....no counter space in bathroom, and I mean zero, and the parking garage attendant tried to overcharge us by 10.00 making an overnight park 39.00 instead of 29.00.
Convenient location...would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elliemaeclmpt
Hello Elliemaeclmpt,

Thanks so much for your review of the Serrano! I'm so glad to hear that, overall, you enjoyed your visit and our hotel. I'm happy that you enjoyed the decor and, of course, our fabulous robes! Thanks for the feedback about the frustrations with valet - we'll be sure to address that with our parking partners!

I hope you think of us on your next trip to San Francisco!
Trail, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2013

stayed at the Serrano in early september and found the hotel to b a bit out dated but yet it was classy as opposed to modern holiday inns. the rooms were a bit on the small size but they were clean and cozy. i found the staff to be friendly and the front desk was very help full in setting up transportation to candlestick park and in helping us get tickets for a base ball game every nite from 5 to 6 there was a hosted wine happy hr. in the lobby. the hotel is in the heart of
SanFransisco 2 blocks from unio nsquare and market street, thre is a resturantt and pub on the main floor which was busy all the time. the downside i found was that the resturant closed at 10 am if you wanted breakfast.defitenly would stay there again

Room Tip: higher rooms are a bit quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Hello armindo_13,

We really appreciate your review of the Serrano! We agree...and like to think we're like a good wine - we're just getting better with age! I'm so happy to hear that your time in San Francisco was fun, and I'm glad that we were able to help arrange transportation and tickets for sporting events in the area. I hope that we'll have the pleasure of hosting you at the Serrano again on your next visit to San Francisco!
Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have previously stayed in a Kimpton hotel and the room and service was second to none. However I cannot say the same for the Serrano. I arrived half an hour early for check in and was told that there wasn't a room available that was fine, as check in wasn't until 3.00pm. I asked if there was an area that I could put my cases and was told that they would take care of that. So after rummaging through my cases retrieving what I needed while I waited for a room I went back to the reception desk and asked if I could leave my phone number and please be contacted when a room became available as I would like to freshen up after the flight. There was now another service attendant standing by the two I had just spoken with and he said well actually we have 2 rooms available so he proceeded to check me in. I never said anything but was not the slightest bit impressed that in the space of 5 minutes two rooms had become available which spoke volumes to me :( When you have just got a flight the first thing you want to do is have a shower. All in all there was only 2 people at this hotel who I would consider worth while employees and the first was Serge who helped my husband and I find a spot near a couch to put our bags. The second was the house maid she was friendly, as for all the other staff members not one smile or hello from any of them my entire 5 day stay. I stayed in 6 other hotels in America in different states and my favourite was the Alexis in Seattle it is a Kimpton hotel. Beautiful hotel and beautiful people very friendly. The room we had in the Serrano was not cheap and was so small you could hardly move to get around the room due to lack of room for your suitcases. We only had one case each and my husband had to put his in the cupboard near the front door due to lack of room. I have given reviews on Trip advisor for several years and I have to say that this is the only negative one that I have written.

2 Thank dabin
Hi Dabin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Serrano. I'm so sorry to hear that your experience was less than stellar. I can assure you that that is not the standard for our team and I apologize that you didn't feel the love. Our rooms, like many SF hotels, are a bit smaller due to the age of our building - I'm terribly sorry that it made your stay uncomfortable. I'm happy that Serge and your room attendant provided great service, and also very happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Alexis! One of the many great things about Kimpton is that we have a variety of different styles among our hotels!

Again, I apologize for the frustrations experienced during your stay. I certainly hope that we'll have an opportunity down the road to redeem ourselves if you choose to stay with us again.

Safe travels!
Mississauga, ON
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed in this Kimpton Hotel for four nights in early September and were very pleased. Located a short walk from Union Square, the location is very convenient to buses, shopping and restaurants. It does border on the tenderloin district, but we did not find this to be a problem. Rooms are small, as one would expect in an older hotel, but charming none-the-less. A nightly wine reception in the lobby is a nice touch, and the lobby itself, is full of character. Staff were excellent: concierge, bell hop, maintenance, and front desk - all helpful and pleasant to deal with. Definitely recommended.

2 Thank Mary P
Hi there, Mary P!

Thanks for the recommendation, and for taking the time to review your recent stay here at the Serrano! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and all of our little goodies that we offer (what's not to love about finishing the day off with some wine?). I'm so happy to hear that the location was convenient for exploring the city - we like to think we're just a hop, skip, and a jump away from most of San Francisco's eclectic neighborhoods. We hope you'll think of us on your next trip to the City by the Bay!
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The morning coffee in the lobby and the afternoon wine tasting with nibbles added to the doorman getting us and our luggage out of the cab and introducing us to the receptionist and bell-boy started a great trip to San Francisco. The room (elevator room) was big and spacious, well appointed. The bed was extremely comfortable and the air con was good and not noisy. WEll stocked mini bar and nibbles tray (it's a hotel, they're not cheap) and I have to say the most fab bathrobes ever - tiger print!! With the exception of some staff in Jasper's bar, all of the hotel staff were extremely kind, warm and helpful. We had a hotel car take us to the airport when we left (for a fee, of course, but worth it!!). The location couldn't be better - a few minutes from Union Square and lots of nice eateries around - Sutter's Pub for breakfast, Cocobang Korean restaurant - but an easy journey to Mission and Castro. We stayed there then had a few days away and came back. We booked through Booking.com and on the return visit we did not get king deluxe rooms!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jimmy H
Hi Jimmy H!

Thanks so much for your wonderful review of the Serrano during your recent trip to SF! We really do have a very convenient location, so I'm glad to hear you took advantage of it. And yes, there's no denying our robes are fun - we're so glad you agree! Thanks for staying with us while you were here, and we hope we'll have you back again soon!

Safe travels!