“Great stay at the Serrano”
Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #91 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I always enjoy staying at the Serrano while visiting our kids who live in San Francisco. Although we booked a parking package this time (which was quite a deal considering the cost of parking in SF) a major advantage of the Serrano is the parking garage located pretty much right next door. The staff working here are always friendly and accommodating - this is a big plus for this property (and especially helpful if you need directions) .The rooms are a typical size for hotel rooms in San Francisco and the beds are very comfortable. The hotel is in an older building but it has the great urban flavor of downtown San Francisco and guests from all over the world. We will always stay here when we are in town.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
SerranoSF, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear mimiColorado,

I am so pleased to read your review - thank you for posting on our Tripadvisor page. We hope the next time you visit us will be soon.

Until then,

JP Pagoadacruz

Reviewed July 19, 2013

The place has a good balance between corporate and boutique. I love the wine hour, 5-6pm, everyday. Nothing like a glass of wine to welcome the evening.

The rooms are old school but good light and enough space for two people. I was traveling on business and stayed for a week and never felt like I was in a cage.

One of the best measures of service in my opinion is how a problem is handled. I had a problem and the staff and GM made things right. Which in my mind says a lot about the customer service, its great here.

Room Tip: I was on 10th floor, good views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear James P,

Thank you for the lovely review, I am happy that you enjoyed your time with us and as Deepak said, thanks for bringing these opportunities to make things better, to our attention - it is through our guests' feedback that we have a chance to improve our operations. I hope you also got a chance to try our restaurant and their new menu.

We hope to see you again soon and please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can ever be of personal assistance.

J.P. Pagoadacruz

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have stayed here several times and its always been fantastic. The rooms are on the smaller side but, they are comfy and well kept. Yes you are right by the tenderloin but, great door staff and they will direct you in the right direction. All you have to do is ask. As for the hotel restaurant Jasper's it's great not even close to normal hotel fair. Its lively and fun. Great food and drinks! Just thinking about this place makes me excited to return.

Room Tip: Honestly I've never had a bad room. I due tend to like the ones on the fount entry and not looki...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear vailmonkey,

Come back!! I am happy to read your review, thank you for swinging by our Tripadvisor page. Let us know if we can be of assistance in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Staff is helpful and genuinely interested in making your stay comfortable. Their advice on directions etc. was mostly accurate. They let us check in early. Our room was via hotel.com and came in at $150/night, including taxes, on a holiday weekend. Our room was clean and comfortably furnished. Great mattress and very quiet. Conveniently located to BART, bus & cable lines at Powell St.. Car rental companies are down the street. Breakfast was tasty and promptly served. Wine reception at 5:00 was well attended in their lovely lobby - and they have coffee in the mornings, as well.. Wouldn't advise going south on Mason or even Taylor, if you are alone at night, but there is no need to.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Kimpton Hotels seem to always be great. I stayed here for two days for a meeting. It is a bit expensive but the quality is there. There are many small touches that I noticed that make the rooms a notch above. Lighted light switches were one which made it easy to find them with the lights out. The staff were all top quality. The breakfast in the dining area was served quickly in a quiet ambience. Free coffee in the lobby in the morning and wine in the evening. I really liked this hotel and would love to come back for a vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I've stayed at the Serrano a number of times as it's one of the more affordable and central Kimpton's in SF. The property is an older one however and while the Kimpton service was excellent as always, the rooms have some oddities. I was upgraded to a suite, which was great, but the two parts of the suite were separated by a small and oddly configured bathroom. The older bathroom fixtures give the bathroom character, but the tub had a scooped bottom that may have been nice if you were taking a bath, but with a shower made the footing so unstable as to border on unsafe. I would recommend at least having rubber mats to address this. In addition, the updated shower head was leaky. Other features of the suite were fine however, though the bedroom was a bit cramped. While I still love all the Kimpton's, this one might slide a bit on my list.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Klbster,

Oops.... Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we will look into that bathroom as soon as possible. I am thrilled to read that you've enjoyed our amazing guest services team, and I wonder if you got a chance to try out our amazing restaurant.

We hope that you will be back soon and please let us know if we can assist with travel plans.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in July 2013 and enjoyed the hotel. We bid through Priceline and after a few tries won at $138 night which turned out to be about $150 after taxes. This was on the weekend and the normal posted rate we found out later was $200 before taxes. Not bad for a 3 star hotel in downtown San Fran most of which were at least $200-250. The hotel is located about 3 blocks west o Market street which is main thoroughfare leading to the bay and fisherman's wharf. There is plenty of restaurants and shops around the area, more than anywhere else in the city it would seem, and it is within 5 min's to all train and bus lines including BART and the famous trolley. We noticed some of the reviews mentioned the area being "sketchy" due to the homeless but in our experience it was really not that bad. Yes, there are a few homeless people walking around and some will ask you for $. The problem gets worse the further west you walk and it can seem a bit "sketchy" but at no time did we feel unsafe or surrounded. We have noticed that in general, the city has more homeless than other cities we have been to (i.e NYC or Houston for example) but they will only ask or $ occasionally and if you say no, that will be the end of it. The hotel bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom is roomy and comes with soaps, shampos, etc... Wifi is free if you sign up for a free Kimpton account (frequent visitor program for the hotel) or $11/day otherwise. It is very fast and worth it. There is also a fantastic gym with a sauna, treadmills, stairs, free weights you name it. Coffee is free but you must go to the lobby. Overall a great hotel for a good price. We would stay again for the right price.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are probably better to avoid city traffic but our 2nd floor room was very quiet regardl...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank longhorn2006

Dear longhorn2006,

Thanks for reviewing our hotel! I am glad you enjoyed your time here and I am happy you enjoyed our beds... they are really a gem! We hope you will be back soon. Please let us know how we can be of personal assistance for future travel plans.