“Ideal location offering good service.”
Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #96 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Ideal location offering good service.”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We chose to stay here based on hotel address and price. We didn't realise that upon arrival, it was in (on the border of) the Tenderloin district which we had been warned to stay away from. This was not an issue at all. The hotel is across from a large Hilton hotel indicating the location is fine. It's a 5 min walk to Union sq, passing lots of useful amenities along the way. The rooms inc the beds were clean and comfortable and the staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel has a cocktail bar adjoining it serving nice food and although no breakfast is provided in the hotel there's a small place a few doors away that serves that purpose by offering quick, cheap, amazing breakfast options. I would def recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear diamond8,

Thank you for the review... but oops! Looks like we hid our breakfast lounge from you! Our award winning restaurant offers breakfast, lunch and dinner. I hope you got a chance to check out our bikes, perfect way to see the fabulous City By The Bay! If not, then next time- which we hope will be soon.

Deepak Mehra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Serrano for 5 nights in April.
The hotel is well located, close enough to Union Square and to the Major attractions.
The rooms are comfortable and not too noisy and they have wi-Fi available in all the Hotel.
The staff is very nice and they offer complimentary coffee in the morning and Wine in the afternoon which are good details for the guests.
Overall it is a good option if you look for a Mid priced Hotel in San Francisco.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Pedritocalheiros
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just five minutes walking to union square. It is important to avoid all the area on the back and low of the hotel, called the civic Center, beside that it is safe to walk on the other streets. Clean and quiet. Staff was useful. Breakfast probably is one of the bad things, the quality was not good and the variety is poor.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms close to the lift.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paulo J
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear P07jose,

Thanks for the comments, our location is truly a blessed one but I am not happy to read about your experience with the breakfast - I will see what we can do. I hope you will be back to see us soon.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had six nights here and really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The morning coffee was good but the afternoon wine reception was awesome. We met and chatted with some lovely people. For Cinco de Mayo they also had margaritas, Coronas, guac and chips which was a nice touch
The location was good, we did a walking tour with Rick in the upper tenderloin and he explained a lot about the area which was helpful and we also went back to a few of the places he pointed out.

Ate at Jaspers two nights and food was probably the best we had in San Fran

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohnandJennie
Dear JohnandJennie,

Thanks for the kind comments, you've said it all... we take our celebrations seriously! I am happy you got to explore the area with Rick, he loves showing people around the neighborhood. And our restaurant... brilliant isn't it? Well, I hope you will be back soon and please feel free to reach out to us if we can be of personal assistance.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The staff made the highlight of my stay. The doorman often called me by my name when coming and going from the hotel. The free wine was very nice in the lobby each evening. The front desk lady noted that I was there for 7 nights and put me in a room that was not facing the loud street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side of hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank guv249
Dear guv249,

I am so pleased to read your review, our staff really loves welcoming our guests into their home, and I am happy you got to experience that. We hope you will come visit us again soon.

Hanford, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Me and three of my girlfriends stayed at the Serrano for a much needed getaway on a holiday weekend. I have stayed several times in this area but typically stay at another hotel which was completely booked this weekend. I was told by a friend that Kimpton Hotels were good ones to stay at and I definitely wasn't disappointed. The price was great, the staff was very attentive, the hotel is beautifully decorated, the beds were super comfortable, and the location was convenient to all the places we wanted to go on this trip. The only downside was that the rooms were pretty small especially for four girls who did some serious shopping. All in all, a great vacation!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear WSUCougs1,

I am so happy to read your review and find that you enjoyed your visit to our hotel... I hope we've turned you into a Kimptonite! I hope you got a chance to try out our award winning restaurant. Please feel free to reach out to me if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Tucson
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed at the Serrano on a "top secret" deal and were delighted with it. The lobby is really dramatically beautiful, the rooms are on the small side but nicely furnished, and the hotel staff is incredibly cheerful and attentive. The only negatives we found were that the climate control is kind of noisy -- fan rattled -- and the bed was a little softer than we are comfortable with. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DavyThePoet
SerranoSF, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear DavyThePoet,

Thank you for the review, I am happy to read that we have he opportunity of being you host the next time you're in San Francisco. I would love to know more about that climate control, this needs to be fixed so it is not uncomfortable for any of our guests. Please reach out to me directly if you'd like to provide more information on this, and also if I can ever be of personal assistance.

J.P. Pagoadacruz