“Serrano!”

San Jose, California, USA
“Serrano!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Wow,

Just got back from staying one night in the city. I have stayed at numerous places in the city, but none had the personal touch as the Serrano did!
As reading past reviews I was a little nervous about location, but we had absolutely NO problems with anybody outside the hotel.
The hotel itself is quite charming!
I would recommend to sign up to be a Kimpton Member for the perks.
Everybody we came in to contact with was very helpful. Armando at the front desk was very nice and accomodating.
We did not eat at Jasper's, but the menu looked great!!!
The beds were comfortable and the room was a decent size (for San Frnacisco). We stayed in room 1411 which had a nice view.
Bottom line is if you want that personal touch, warm and cozy accomodations, and a great location choose the Serrano! You will not be disappointed!!! Kimpton comes through again! I love the Kimpton Brand!!!!

Room Tip: Room 1411 had a nice view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John S
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Roccobaby,

Thanks for the love! I am very happy to read your review and find out that you enjoyed your time with us. You should come back soon and let us know if we can be of any assistance with planning that!

Deepak Mehra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Redwood City, CA
Reviewed March 17, 2013

The Serrano is a great choice if you are seeing a show in the City. It is on Taylor just a few blocks up from Market St. It is also within easy walking distance of Union Square.

The hotel has been beautifully restored and the rooms are very comfortable. We were lucky enough to be upgraded to a suite this time so not only did we have a very good sized bedroom we had a sitting room and a huge bathroom but even the standard rooms are quite spacious

As with all Kimptons the staff are extremely friendly and helpful and of course the evening Happy Hour is always fun.

Jaspers, the hotel restaurant has a great selection of microbrews and is the perfect spot for dinner or a nightcap.

We will definitely be back again.

Room Tip: High floors are best as you get a city view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1Maggie
Dear 1Maggie,

We can't wait to have you back! I am happy we were able to get you an upgrade during this visit. And you're right, we are located very close to all the major theaters... I say have a meal at our award winning restaurant and then head over to the show!

Connecticut
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I love Kimpton Hotels because they represent good value and the staff are usually incredibly personable and friendly. I stayed at the Serrano for four days in March on a business trip. I paid a ridiculously low rate through an emailed Kimpton special. The lobby is beautiful early twentieth century nicely restored. The rooms are small and bathrooms are tiny but all have been remodeled and look new and clean and are very comfortable. The doorman called me by name when I got out the cab from the airport and I still have no idea how he pulled that off. The rest f the staff were polite and efficient but not as warm and friendly as I have experienced at other Kimpton Hotels in SF and Boston. There is a free wine reception from 5-6 every evening. If you can get a good price this is a hood pace but at rack rates I would stay at a different Kimpton in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Higher will be quieter
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Discriminating_8
Dear Discriminating_8,

I am sorry to read that you didn't think our team was warm and friendly. I will make sure that they all read your comments so that we can figure out what was going on that day. I hope you will find another opportunity to give us a chance so we can prove to you that this is not the way we do things around here. Please feel free to reach out to me if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The lobby is beautiful, The staff is great and helpful There is complimentary coffee in the morning and a wine reception in the early evening. Wifi is provided for free if you are Kimpton loyalty member. The room was nice and comfortable.

I would stay here again if not for the location. I like to walk a lot but there were some seedy areas around the hotel so one should be careful walking about.

If you want something a little different from the regular business hotels, I think you should try this.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DesnaDC
Dear DesnaDC,

I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our lobby, all 1926 original woodwork, very charming. I hope you also got a chance to try out our award winning restaurant.

Please feel free to reach out to us if we can be of any assistance for future travel plans.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Serrano is a comfortable hotel in San Francisco. I stay there frequently for meetings with clients in the area. This week past, I had an extremely important presentation in Foster City that included props and leave behind gifts. After arriving in the parking lot with my team, I realized that I forgot one of the items in my room. I quickly called the front desk, explained the severity of my situation and pleaded for them to retrieve the bag, and have someone bring it to me. They were completely understanding, responsive and made it happen. My team was amazed and I am incredibly indebted! In addition to amazing customer service and comfy beds, Jasper's - the adjoining beer pub, has a delicious room service menu.

Many thanks again, to the team at the Serrano. - Sabrina

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank srprince1
Dear srprince1,

I am very happy to find out that you stay with us often and that our team handled this situation for you. We hope it won't be too long till your next visit - and feel free to reach out to us if we can be of assistance.

Covina, California
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I came to San Francisco to visit my son only to realize that when I got there I had to do something with my luggage until I could check in. So I walked to the hotel from the Bart (time is accurate from other reviewers) to be greeted from the front door men to the front desk all were more than eager to help. I asked if they may hold my luggage? She said," let me see if a room is ready for you and I'll let you check in now." 10:00 am in the morning (unheard of in these days of hotels!)

Pleasantly pleased and ready to relax from airport and the walk I entered a small but well appointed room. Had everything I needed. Housekeeping made a beautful bed.

Later that day, I met up with my son and we wanted to do some different things but he had his bike. We asked the hotel if they had a place for his bike and they happily stored it for him at no charge. Very pleased with the accomodating factors of this hotel. If you know San Francisco, everyone wants to charge you for the littlest thing.

I never felt threatened in this area that everyone speaks of and I walked everyday from the hotel to meet some sort of transportation. The door man always recognized us coming and going so I guess I felt safe for that very reason as well. If you want to ride the cable cars and bus(es) system (not bart) you may purchase a pass that is unlimited for this, for as many days as you like. (super deal!) I paid $22.00 for a three day pass and used $16.00 worth the first day. Unlimited cable car, just rode to ride.

Weather was amazing. Ate amazing Dim Sum in Chinatown, Sushiritto (sushi in the shape of a burrito)...do your homework on amazing places to eat in San Fran you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy, Janice from So Cal

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jecchh
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear jecchh,

I am so happy to read your review, we really want our guests to feel right at home and our staff is always willing to go the extra mile. Who wants to travel and have rules and fees? Well, I am thrilled you chose Serrano and I hope we will get to see you again soon - please feel free to reach out to me if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I travel a lot for business, and typically choose the Kimpton brand. When I got a great deal on the Serrano during my trip to San Francisco, I grabbed it thinking my experience would be the same. Not so much -welcome wasn't warm (front desk clerk seemed irritated that I asked her to make sure my loyalty number was attached to the stay), room and public areas are a little worse for the wear. Room was cramped, especially the bathroom (nowhere to put anything). I also found some completely nasty red smears under the sink. They were obvious enough that it makes me question the cleanliness of the housekeeping effort. Water pressure so strong in the shower that it nearly knocks you over. I have high standards - but usually Kimpton has no problem meeting them. This was a disappointment especially because it was a celebration trip for me and my sister. On a positive note, the location is excellent, just a couple blocks from Union Square. And we heard someone raving about the restaurant. And the bellmen were always happy to help us find a cab.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Laurafrom312,

I am so sorry to read about your experience, it is certainly not the way we do things around here. I will make sure the issues mentioned get immediately addressed and I hope you can find another opportunity to give us a chance to impress. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel if I can be of further assistance.

Deepak Mehra