“Love it!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Norman, Oklahoma
“Love it!”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

This is my second stay at the Serrano. Once again, it was amazing. The beds were amazing, and I got a quiet room on the fifth floor. Room service was thorough and very polite. The staff was great as always. The only reason I won't give it a 5 stay is that they messed up on my bill and I had to get it straightened out when I got home. A word of caution, but its not about the hotel itself, there are large amounts of homeless people and some of them can get aggressive. Play a hand of blackjack on your way in and find out the password of the month! When they say "Save Me San Francisco" they mean Serrano!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank eeg1977ok
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear eeg1977ok,

Sorry about that confusion with the bill, I think we got it figured out but we should have handled it at check out for you. However I am glad to hear you enjoyed your second visit with us... and you got to use our social media password too! Come see us again soon and please reach out to us if we can ever be of personal assistance.

Deepak Mehra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay. The room was very comfortable and the staff, particularly the concierge Stephan, very helpful and friendly. I like the way the Kimpton chain offer free WiFi just for signing up to their loyalty scheme.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank ChristineBurns
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear ChristineBurns,

Thank you for stopping by and telling us about your stay - we will make sure to pass on your kudos to Stephan, he is great and we love having him around.

We hope to see you again soon.

Deepak Mehra
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Excellent standard of service by the concierges as you arrive at hotels impressing looking hotel. Although it's a relatively large hotel it has a lot of charm and character of a boutique hotel.

The rooms were very clean and ours afforded a lovely view of the downtown/union square area of the city.

Parking is expensive, but right behind the hotel on Jones Street is a much cheaper lot, which is between $20-$25/night.

There's also a wine reception that one can take advantage of in the evening.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RMiddleton
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear RMiddleton,

Thank you for the comments, we would love to have you back soon! I hope you got a chance to try out our award winning restaurant, really the talk of the town.

Until next time,
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed February 6, 2013

If you want to avoid the cold, sterile setting many hotels offer, choose the Serrano Hotel as you'll be warmly greeted and well cared for in a comfortable setting. I read a lot of the reviews of various hotels in SF and zoned in on the Kimpton chain of hotels because of the way they seemed to treat their guests. Our experience at the Serrano Hotel only supported all the praise that I read.

Everyone at the Serrano was friendly and helpful. I signed up for the InTouch loyalty program mainly to get the free Wi-Fi and also got a nice surprise of some free items out of the mini-bar during my stay. Gabby took really good care in setting up our room as I had requested - quiet location and a tea service in our room. I didn't think tea was an option but when I got the e-mail asking how she could tailor our room to our needs, I mentioned the desire for tea and she made that possible. I never got to meet her to thank her, but am grateful.

We enjoyed the AAA Weekend Getaway which included breakfast each morning. We were so delighted by this package! The breakfast was listed as continental, which it was, but you never felt like you were skimped on or looked down upon for having the package. It was a very satisfying breakfast with additional complimentary slices of chocolate chip banana bread to boot!

The lobby is very comfortable for meeting friends and hanging out in general. It again is not sterile, but has cozy settings of mini-rooms, so to speak. The only thing missing was a roaring fire like in some other hotel lobbies I saw while I was in SF, which would have been nice in February but not at all a show stopper.

The wine hour is also a very nice touch. We enjoyed participating before meeting up with friends for dinner as it was a nice, relaxing time after a busy day with which we could catch up and share our day's experience we'd separately had due to my husband's being business and mine being pleasure.

Overall, the cleanliness of the rooms, the detail in caring for your needs on so many levels, the friendliness of the staff at all levels (great house keepers, front desk and front door staff!) really made our time at the Serrano Hotel a top notch experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank TnTLeeds
Dear TnTLeeds,

Thank you for the review, I couldn't have said it better myself! I will make sure our team reads your comments and I will personally congratulate Gaby on your behalf for making your visit an extra special one.

We hope you will be back soon.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Another stay at this lovely boutique hotel. Enjoyed my interactions with staff who really make an effort to make you feel welcome. Food service is very good. Perks include am coffee, pm wine, free paper, $10 raid of minibar items, plus if you forget any if the essentials (contact lens solution!) they give it to you--no charge. Location is very good. Will definately return.

Room Tip: Rooms do vary quite a bit in size and view. Higher up generally better (quieter) in my experience
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear takemeaway_2010_10,

I am so glad you keep visiting us, we don't want you to stop. We can't wait till next time and feel free to send us a message if we can be of personal assistance.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I only stayed one night due to an unexpected early checkout but this hotel was very nice and quaint. The staff was friendly, rooms were clean, and we really enjoyed the hip restaurant/bar downstairs. They offer free coffee and tea in the mornings as well as wine in the evenings. I would recommend this hotel and would return on a future trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear LisaZ_11,

Thank you for your comments! We wish that you would have stayed here longer and had a chance to check out our in-room spa services. Next time? Please let me know if I can be of personal assistance for future reservations. We hope to see you again soon.

Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Serrano is located in Downtown SF, in which is clearly a very old building. The lobby is very nice. They have fast valet and the usual no parking in SF. Restaurant is a connector to an establishment next door, was good. The staff at this hotel is in usual Kimpton style, very nice. Everyone I encountered was friendly, efficient and wanted to help. Plusses all around for this. The room as only marginal. It was very basic, from the furnishings to decor. Almost depressing to be in. The lighting was poor and make the room look even worse than it was. I like a little nicer room than this. Nothing exciting at all. The bathroom was tiny. The door to the room from the hall was flimsy and could easily be forced open. Bed comfy and as usual FREE WIFi! No in-room coffee, did have mini bar.

Room Tip: Avoid next to elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear swixo,

I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy our rooms - our hotel is full of charm and was built in 1926, so we can certainly find some cozy spaces in here. I am however, really glad to read that you enjoyed our restaurant, their food is getting a lot of attention in the San Francisco restaurant scene and we loved their J-Burger.

Please let us know if we can ever be of personal assistance in the future.