“Really enjoyed this quaint hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Serrano Hotel

Serrano Hotel
Ranked #98 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Really enjoyed this quaint hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I only stayed one night due to an unexpected early checkout but this hotel was very nice and quaint. The staff was friendly, rooms were clean, and we really enjoyed the hip restaurant/bar downstairs. They offer free coffee and tea in the mornings as well as wine in the evenings. I would recommend this hotel and would return on a future trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear LisaZ_11,

Thank you for your comments! We wish that you would have stayed here longer and had a chance to check out our in-room spa services. Next time? Please let me know if I can be of personal assistance for future reservations. We hope to see you again soon.

Deepak Mehra.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

The Serrano is located in Downtown SF, in which is clearly a very old building. The lobby is very nice. They have fast valet and the usual no parking in SF. Restaurant is a connector to an establishment next door, was good. The staff at this hotel is in usual Kimpton style, very nice. Everyone I encountered was friendly, efficient and wanted to help. Plusses all around for this. The room as only marginal. It was very basic, from the furnishings to decor. Almost depressing to be in. The lighting was poor and make the room look even worse than it was. I like a little nicer room than this. Nothing exciting at all. The bathroom was tiny. The door to the room from the hall was flimsy and could easily be forced open. Bed comfy and as usual FREE WIFi! No in-room coffee, did have mini bar.

Room Tip: Avoid next to elevator.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear swixo,

I am sorry to read that you didn't enjoy our rooms - our hotel is full of charm and was built in 1926, so we can certainly find some cozy spaces in here. I am however, really glad to read that you enjoyed our restaurant, their food is getting a lot of attention in the San Francisco restaurant scene and we loved their J-Burger.

Please let us know if we can ever be of personal assistance in the future.

whittier, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Been to the Serrano a half dozen times and this one was best of all. Wonderful hotel with amazing service and great location. The lobby is beautiful carved wood, comfy chairs, a free hour of wine tasting (lots of people take advantage, great way to meet and greet), free NY Time/WSJ/local papers, and tea/coffee in the morning. The staff is really top notch. I showed up a couple hours early and they accommodate me with no problem. Later in the night I had a small problem with the lock on the door. They treated it as if major and when it couldn't be solved, moved me to another room right away (even brought up the keys to me and gave me a free breakfast too boot!). There is a very good restaurant in the building. The room and bathroom are a bit small, but the furnishing are great as are the beds. In room safe, robes, flat screens and a lot of in-room movies (if you even need them). Honestly, can't say enough about the staff and service.

Room Tip: The interior rooms are quieter, but of course you get no view whatsoever.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank edward v
Dear edward v,

We love having you around here and I am sorry about that lock, we checked on it and got it fixed! Please don't wait too long to come back, and let us know if we can be of personal assistance.

Washington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

On a business trip we stayed there for 5 nights and it was excellent. Comfortable quiet rooms, helpful friendly staff, convenient, free sauna and exercise room, free copies of The New York Times, free wine from 5-6 and free coffee and tea in the mornings. Will stay there next year too.

1 Thank Soroti123
SerranoSF, General Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Soroti123,

I am very happy to read your review and we will look forward to seeing you next year. Please feel free to reach out to us if we can ever be of personal assistance.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was at the Serrano during a businnes trip to San Francisco, for three nights. The location is great, right in the center of everything. The hotel is oldish and charming, with good service and courteous personnel. The rooms are rather small, and, when I arrived, I was given one room with two large beds that did not leave any space for moving around, even though it was just me and I had specified that I wanted only one bed. They could not change the room the same day, and I had to repack and move the second day. The second room was identical, but with only one bed. I had noticed that one small item of mine was missing, and I asked them to check in my old room, but with no results.
The stay was good otherwise, but with one unpleasant episode.The day of my departure, I left my luggages in deposit till the late afternoon. When I returned to pick me up, one luggage was damaged, the handle was stuck in the out position, while it was working perfectly before ( it was a new luggage). i had to catch a taxi in a hurry, but the person handling the luggage apologized and said that he would talk with his supervisor and they would get back to me with some form of compensation.I never heard from them again, And I had to throw away the damaged luggage.
I would recommend the hotel as a bood place, but that accident and the fact that they did not get back with me really made a negative impression.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Daniela S
SerranoSF, Front Office Manager at Serrano Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Daniela S,

I am so sorry to read about this incident with your luggage, I would really like to talk more about this and find out how Serrano can change that negative impression. Please feel free to reach out to me at jp.pagoadacruz@serranohotel.com so we can talk about it. Again I apologize and I hope that you will find an opportunity to give us another chance at a flawless visit.

J.P. Pagoadacruz
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I liked the Serrano which is saying a lot given how picky I am. Staff is friendly and helpful. Room was very clean including the bathroom. The tub was spotless and trust me, I look closely. Bed was comfy. The decor was classic old San Fran. Great view. Room overall was on the small side but still very workable. Price was very reasonable. Loved the nightly free wine reception. I am a Kimpton member so I got the free wifi and $10 minibar credit which was handy for my chocolate cravings. Location was okay - I little close to some of the riff-raff and pot smokers but not scary, just annoying. Homeless guys kept singing to me - I don't know why.

Dear RDmaker,

I am very glad to hear we impressed. Our team really goes above and beyond to make sure everyone enjoys their stay and feel right at home. We hope to see you again soon.

Deepak Mehra
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my first stay at a Kimpton Hotel and I am definitely happy and look forward to staying at other locations. My first priority was a dog friendly hotel, the Kimpton chain seems to be the most welcoming of all hotels for your furry companions, bonus!

We pulled up and the valet was immediately assisting us with our luggage (2 humans, 2 canines = a lot of stuff) on a busy San Francisco street. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous, the wood carved ceilings, inlaid wood beams; beautiful craftsmanship. Our Bellman was terrific, he assisted us with our luggage while we handled our dogs through the check in process, showed us to our room and helped us settle in. He truly alleviated the amount of stress that comes along when traveling with those who require constant supervision.

The room was charming and wonderfully decorated! As to be expected, the rooms are compact, but when visiting San Francisco when space is at a premium, you cannot expect palatial spaces. There was enough space for all of our luggage, 2 dog crates, holiday gifts, and we were all completely comfortable.

The location is great, walking distance to Union Square (where we took the dogs to alleviate themselves); Chinatown. It's next to the Tenderloin district, bustling with loads of people, locals and tourists alike. There is no shortage of markets, restaurants, theaters and bars. Take advantage of walking, it offers up the best eye candy.

The dogs liked it too!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear StarrySue,

I am so happy you enjoyed your time at Serrano - our team loves helping everyone out but we especially love seeing our furry friends enjoy their time here. We hope you will be back to visit us soon and please feel free to reach out to us if we can ever be of personal assistance.